Shot Size?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DropTine

Shot Size?

Post by DropTine »

Im going friday with my dad for some Grouse and Rabbits and whatever woodcock are still here. Whats a good shot size for them? I was thinking a #7 1/2 in the chamber then another #7 1/2 then a #5? Im using a 12ga.

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
mikej

Post by mikej »

i like 4's for grouse
wabi

Post by wabi »

7½ would be fine for the grouse & woodcock, but I like something a bit heavier for rabbits. I'd probably use #6 as a compromise.
(and #4 will work for grouse & rabbits, but makes the pattern a bit thin for woodcock)
wabi
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Im stickin wth thee standrad shot galss..Im loivn this kauhlau and cofee and cremer..Man I cnta harldy cee tha srceen rghit hear. Oh crp Ive gott to get up in teh moenin to. I btter se yu gsuy latter I shldnty be on here rihgt n0ow..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Fox

Post by Fox »

I like #6, but 7 1/2 has taken a lot of rabbits for me, so unless they are jacks I don't see why it would not work in close.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Hoss wrote:Im stickin wth thee standrad shot galss..Im loivn this kauhlau and cofee and cremer..Man I cnta harldy cee tha srceen rghit hear. Oh crp Ive gott to get up in teh moenin to. I btter se yu gsuy latter I shldnty be on here rihgt n0ow..
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

4-5 shot size for me with the trusty old 20 guage
dutchhunter

SIXS

Post by dutchhunter »

I US SIXS AND JUST LOVE THEM LOW POWER FO BUNNYS AND SMALL BIRDS HIGH POWER FOR DUCKS AND TURCKYS NEVER HAD A PROBLEM THY WILL EVEN KILL GEESE WITH HEAD AND WING SHOTS DUTCH
catcher

Post by catcher »

My gun likes the number 5's. They just pattern better through the ic from my gold.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

personal opinion only, but I always use the smallest shot size possible when hunting in the bush. Over the years I've seen a few occasions where someone swung through and splattered another hunter who was partially hidden by brush. 4s will do a lot more damage in a case like that, so I always use 7 1/2s, they work great on bunnies and provide tons of pattern density for chickens and the like.
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Thanks guys. Ya, I dont think there will be much woodcock left so i'll use a 7 1/2 in the chamber, then followed by two 6's.

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
dutchhunter

SHOT

Post by dutchhunter »

ETTER OT RUNNING TWO DIFFRENT CHOKES THEN TWO DIFFERENT SHOT SIZES IF POSSABLE IE SXS OR OVER ONDER MY 2 CENTS
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I do a lot of cottontail hunting (after archery season closes) and, although I prefer #6 for bunnies, rest assured that #7 1/2 shot will do the job just fine, as well as give you the versatility you want for grouse. Don't sweat the shot size, it's not the shot size that will make the difference, it's all about the guy behind the shotgun :wink:

Shoot straight :)
Last edited by ninepointer on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

as said, 7.5 will work fine... 6's would be better for rabbitts, but I used 7.5 with no issues

heck, 7.5 will kill a deer also if he's close enough :lol:
M&M

Post by M&M »

I am a rabbit hunter at heart and spend a lot of time in the field with my beagles chasing them every year and I have found #6s to be a great shot size for them I have used 7.5 shot and with that smaller shot the pellet count goes up considerably and most of my shots on rabbits range from 20ft to 20yds so 7.5s really pepper a bunny up with too much shot and I love to eat rabbit M&M