Archery season is the best

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

brokebow

Archery season is the best

Post by brokebow »

The Wisconsin gun season started yesterday,and I still like taking the Xbow insted of a fire arm ,dont get me wrong I love guns secound to to family but archery still has a place in my heart. In Wisconsin you can not take a bow or Xbow during the gun season ,muzzle loader, yes but not Gun season. And for some untold reason I have more luck with Xbow than I do gun. I used a pistol for a while an got deer with it but the excitement was not there as it is with the archery. Jerry
Jerry
wabi

Post by wabi »

In Ohio shotguns, muzzleloaders (rifle or shotgun), and archery (traditional or compound "longbows" and crossbows) are legal in gun season. I use a muzzleloader, simply because it's the most accurate thing I own for long range shooting, and it will drop a well hit deer in it's tracks!
I have no desire to chance a long tracking job in gun season! Too often they can end at a gut pile where someone else decided it was their deer. :roll:

As for the enjoyment, it's a little harder for me to feel like I've outwitted the wiley whitetail when I can shoot the deer at 200 yards and it has no chance of knowing it's in danger. There is no feeling to compare with a deer at less than 20 yards that has been so outmaneuvered that it has no idea it's in danger. That takes a lot of careful planning and luck combined! To me, that is outwitting the wiley whitetail!

That's why I hunt hard in bow season, then gun hunt only to get more meat if I need it. This year I have the freezer full already and have only antlerless deer tags left, so I'll probably gun hunt with my sidelock muzzleloader (T/C Hawken w/21" GM barrel) and hunt from my bowhunting stands & blinds. I'll need to still get fairly close (about 100 yards max with that gun due to the shorter barrel and lighter loads I use in it), but I can be sure I won't have a long tracking job if I do my part.
Not the same sense of enjoyment, but it's still better than setting at home! :lol:
wabi
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

In Ontario we can still bow hunt during the gun hunt but we have to wear full blaze orange hat and vest or jacket. No orange / camo. Call it a challenge!

I'm heading out right now with the Phoenix to an area close to home that still has the gun hunt on. To add to the challenge, I can only take a buck in this area.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

[quote="Phoenix_Tom"]In Ontario we can still bow hunt during the gun hunt but we have to wear full blaze orange hat and vest or jacket. No orange / camo. Call it a challenge!

Not in my WMU. (87). gun season allows a shotgun or a muzzleloader, its open for 6 days, and its closed to bow for that time.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Thanks Scott! You learn something new every day. I've never hunted controlled hunting areas/seasons and didn't realize they had that restriction. Now I've gotta go back and check the regs to make sure I was allowed to bow hunt today. Now I'm only 99% sure it was ok. Checked - I was ok.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Yes remember bow shuts down Dec 1-7 for the second controlled hunt which includes sunday in some WMUs including the one I hunt in :D
The best things in life are not things!!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I have no love for the Ohio gun season. I am happy that we have a youth gun season, but the regular gun season can be a pain for me.

First, I share the sentiments of wabi about the pleasure found with an arrow versus a lead projectile. But above that, too many idiots find their way into the woods. And these idiots are armed!

We always seem to have problems at our farm during the gun season. One idiot or another will climb our fences and start walking about. They always claim they thought they were on so and so's property but we know better.

We have hired a retired man to patrol our one border with his truck every day of the one week gun season. It is sad it has come to this but we don't know what else to do.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i am very glad i can hunt with my CB or ML's during gun seasons. as to which one i use on a given season is just swapped back n forth. last year i used CB during 1st gun season so this year i am using my ML.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315