Shotgun needed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Shotgun needed

Post by raydaughety »

I know that this should be in the trading post but I really need to get the word out. Tyler is ready to go to a 12 gauge shotgun. We're looking for a used Remington 1100 or a comparable semi auto. I have a nearly new Spartan 20ga O/U that I would be willing to trade that is valued at about $500.00, comes with a set of Truluck chokes. Please let me know if you can help me.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I am curious Ray, why the autoloader over a pump gun.

Nothing against 1100's, I have owned several. And in many cases I have had to increase the size of the gas ports to get them to cycle the lighter loads.

I like pump guns, and in particular, one of the best guns ever produced, the Remington 870 Wingmaster. I find the gun is better for younger shooters then an autoloader. It just seems that younger shooters do better when they have to take the time between shots to cycle a shell and re-aim.

Just my two cents worth. And believe me, that is really all it is worth!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Here I go again, posting before my morning coffee.
First, I agree this should be in the trading section.
Why not buy the kid a new gun Ray? It's not like you are poor, you have bought some very high end guns in the recent past for yourself and even more recently "wrote a check" for a new truck.
If it is his first 12 gage it will be with him a lifetime, and likely his kids too. A guy/gal(sorry Vix) should always get an opportunity to hold a shotgun before he buys it, actually, I was always under the impression that was a very important step to buying any firearm, especially a shotgun.
If this were in the trading post I would have left it alone, but you chose to put it in a general discussion in a crossbow forum, so lets discuss it.
Your initial post suggests a bit of urgency and I am not sure that a shotgun purchase should be rushed in to, especially since it is for a kid, an experienced kid, but a child all the same.
My thoughts, is to take him shopping for a nice, shiny new shotgun, he will get a lot of use out of it and then you are assured a good fit, this isn't a time to be cutting corners.
Or, maybe someone will just send you one and you won't have to worry about the whole "trade" issue. :wink:
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

[quote=Why not buy the kid a new gun Ray? If it is his first 12 gage it will be with him a lifetime, and likely his kids too. A guy/gal(sorry Vix) should always get an opportunity to hold a shotgun before he buys it, actually,
My thoughts, is to take him shopping for a nice, shiny new shotgun, he will get a lot of use out of it and then you are assured a good fit, this isn't a time to be cutting corners.[/quote]

Look at a Youth Model 870 Ray. May I also suggest a 20 Gauge. The 20 will do anything a 12 will with less recoil. I think he would love it.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've owned both a Rem 870 and a Mossberg 500. Both pumps carried fairly well. The Mossberg is a bit shorter length to the trigger and might be more suitable/natural fit for a youngster or gal. The 870 balanced a bit more naturally. I buy my guns used - I like that worn-in feel. I also like not having to worry about that first scuff or scratch. I enjoy that my guns come with built in character and history (some of them many decades worth of history).
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

hey if your not worried about the price tag just get him a mossberge. thats all i have in shot guns and i wont shoot nothing esle. and like vix said buy them used i get most of mine from a real good pawn shop here in town.
excalibur phoenix
lumi-zone
sts system
acu draw 50
custom string by boo
groundpounders mount
cas custom bolts
100gr slick tricks
excalibur shooter for life
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Here's some of the "character" that my Mossberg came with:

You just can't find that kind of character in a new gun! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

I have to agree with Kelley here,

Whats the advantage with a 12 gauge other then weight and the kick?

I will tell you that if that boy wants a classy perfect Deer, Bird, and Turkey gun, get him a 870 Wingmaster mag in a 20 gauge. Now he will have a life time gun and enjoy it.

I own a 20 gauge Turkey gun that will out pattern most 12 gauges at 40 yards, so I know they will compete with no problem...

I would re think this if it was me...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

I like the 20 gauge, but if the 12 gauge is a must then youth model Rem 870. He can use allowance moneys for a rifled barrel as well. The 20 gauge with rifled barrel and sabots will kill deer stone dead no problem and no recoil issues either. Here those SG's are only $350.
catcher

Post by catcher »

Hey Vix what is the arrow for. Letting you know where the bang comes from. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by catcher on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Savagevervet

Post by Savagevervet »

catcher wrote:Hey Vix what is the arrow for. Letting you know where the bang comes from.
I was wondering about the bling on that gunstock. Was there a label under the arrow that said, "This End Up"? :lol:

Savagevervet
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

catcher wrote:Hey Vix what is the arrow for. Letting you know where the bang comes from.
That's the way I bought the gun. It was well-used and very well maintained. I'd love to know what the inspiration for applying the arrow was. Historically, First Nations Peoples sometimes decorated the stocks of their firearms with brass tacks. This gun was purchased near Brantford so perhaps a previous owner was copying a tradition? I have a spare stock for it that I picked up at a gun sale this past spring, but ya know, those brass tacks have kind of grown on me. I'm not nearly as self-conscioius about them as I was at first. Might just leave that stock on after all. :lol:
Last edited by VixChix on Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabi

Post by wabi »

When I was 16 I got my first new shotgun - a Remington 1100 20 ga.
I will have to say the 1100 does soften recoil compared to the 870. The biggest advantage I can see in a 12 ga is the availability & cost of ammo. You can get shells that compare to a 20 ga load, or some real heavyweights if you can stand the recoil. Not sure if it's still available, but the all plastc case "Activ" 3" - 2 1/4 oz load is a real attention getter! :shock:

Got to agree, I'd get him a new gun. He's old enough and responsible enough to care for it, and it will be something that he can be proud of for a lifetime! And it's just about time for Santa to make a visit, anyway. I'll bet a new 1100 on Christmas morning would put a bigger grin on his face than the "does" did.
wabi
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Wabi, that was what I was thinking. The older 1100s with the 2&3/4" chamber and 26" barrel was a light and reliable gun that hardly kicked and that is why I was looking for one. Tyler does have an 870 express 20 with a turkey barrel but his arms are real short and he can't quite reach the fore stock to pump it without bringing it down. If I don't find an 1100 I may just get a vented rib barrel for the 20 ga and let him keep on pumping. BTW, I certainly would never entertain the idea of someone "giving" me a gun. Thanks for the replies.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

BTW, I certainly would never entertain the idea of someone "giving" me a gun
i would :lol:
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them