Stomach rupture - how to clean

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fishnbugdude

Stomach rupture - how to clean

Post by fishnbugdude »

I had one of those shots – I was high up in the stand - thought the deer was stopped – but she took a step.

Entry was back – got one lung, liver and stomach. Waited until the afternoon – good blood trail with about 150 yard track.

I don’t want to hear about the shot – I know it was poor – pissed me off – very thankful I was able to recover.

What I had a question on was I had a lot of corn and stomach contents in the cavity. As I got the lung and liver there was a lot of blood. I cleaned out the cavity as good as possible with paper towels. Used some vinegar soaked paper towel to wipe out the inside – is there something else I should do?

Should I get it butchered as quick as possible – is there anything special I should do - does it make a difference – should I get rid of the tenderloins?

Any help would be appreciated.
dutchhunter

water

Post by dutchhunter »

lots od cold water as a butcher for 18 years i donot now why poeople aare so affraid to wash them out .at the shop we ues a high presure was then thy hang to dry .wash the deer out with lots of cold water from your hoes or use a pail or three lots and lots of water .meat is 90% water to start with if you sre scared to leave it wet dry it with paper towel when you are done but for hevan sakes wash it out .we have even layed deer in streams when that was what we had .when wet hang deer buy the head so the hair does not trap the water it will dry quiker this way DUTCH
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Yep - wash and wash. If you got to it quickly enough the tenderloins should still be good - assuming you removed them right away after you cleaned the deer. At the worst you'll notice a bit of a stronger taste. Marinate them in milk and soy sauce for 24 hrs - that should fix it.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Same thing that my butcher (who is also a long time deer hunter) says. Wash Wash Wash. I emmersed two of my gut shot deer in a river after dressing them. Then when I got them home, took another close look to see if I got it all. Took the garden hose to one spot that caught some of the goo. Meat was excellent. Zero spoilage. Hope this helps.

F
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

That's all good to hear as well. The doe I shot on Friday afternoon was a heavy quartering to and figured she wiffed me and was going to move. I use a 338 Federal and it liquified everything from throat to vent hole, and the bullet kept going through a sappling as well.

We used the garden hose and rags and washed for about an hour. The next morning, she was froze so what I may have missed, I carved carefully with my knife.

Our butcher said she'd be fine as well. I think it boils down to length of recovery time to cleaning. Mine, we were looking at about half an hour to 45 minutes from the shot to when the garden hose was put to her.
fishnbugdude

Post by fishnbugdude »

Thanks for the advice - i will get on it.

When you say wash, wash, wash is city water good - I had a friend tell me that the chlorine and fluoride in the city water is what does the damage - not the water itself.

I really don't know enough about it to say.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Are you in KW? If so, Kitchener water is better than Wtloo. :D :D :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
dutchhunter

wash

Post by dutchhunter »

any water is better then no wash
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Take the hose to her. get as much water as you can in there. Wipe her with a wrag if you dont wantthe water to sit in the cavity. Ihad the same thing happen a few years back and after a lot of water, the meat was fine.

Congrats on the deer and recovery!
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
fishnbugdude

Post by fishnbugdude »

VixChix wrote:Are you in KW? If so, Kitchener water is better than Wtloo. :D :D :D
No - up river from yah in Fergus/Elora - so even better then Kitchener Water. :D :lol:
mikej

Post by mikej »

i wash mine as well i have even layed them in streams and creeks as dutch said
bob-s

re stomach spilled ---

Post by bob-s »

Just like to point out snow also works well for soaking up juices and wiping out cavity.. if there is any on ground at the time. I usually use snow whether the stomach has been ruptured or not, it also speeds up the cooling process.

Safe and happy hunting.

Bob. :)
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

fishnbugdude wrote:When you say wash, wash, wash is city water good - I had a friend tell me that the chlorine and fluoride in the city water is what does the damage - not the water itself.
How badly has that city water damaged your insides so far? There's your answer! :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

Congrats on your kill. Don't beat yourself up. The shot was fatal, you got the deer, all is good. You aren't perfect. None of us are. :D

I always butcher my deer immediately anyway, so a busted gut is no problem ... just hate to do it. Hate to smell it.
Grizz
marlinchester

Post by marlinchester »

COLD water, city water should actually be better than alot of wells as the chlorine and flouride will keep down bacteria levels. Bacteria added to fresh meat is the biggest problem with washing
wabi

Post by wabi »

It happens sometimes.
I just wash it out as best I can and go on.
I accidentally cut the stomach on one last year (in the dark & in a hurry) and didn't see a bit of difference in the quality of the meat.
wabi