WD 40 warning.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gad

WD 40 warning.

Post by gad »

Be sure to keep WD40 way far from the limbs. The WD40 is a great stuff, but its corrosive on any kind of plastics, including limbs.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
gad

Post by gad »

Sorry. :oops:

It was to be posted on this thread:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=24353
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
wabi

Post by wabi »

gad,
Could you give us some details????
Did it damage the limbs on your bow????
I've used WD-40 by spraying it in the claw/trigger area on my bows(s) and never had any problem from it getting on the stock.
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

It may not be much of a lubricant but it's one heck of a fire starter. Just spray through a flame (CAREFULLY). I only use it for short term application on rusty bolts, etc.
brokebow

Post by brokebow »

I have used WD40 for years and never had it hurt a thing. You know that it is fish oil. Yes fish oil that is why people use it on fishing lures,and just about every thing you can imagine. I might have been something else mixed with WD40 that made this defect. Jerry
Jerry
gad

Post by gad »

Wabi,

Sure I had always the habit of not soaking the limbs of my bows and xbows with wd40. I do use the wd40 to avoid the rust, but only on the bolts. Of course there is no reason to lubricate the limbs, so any wd40 that accidentally I shot on the plastic parts of my bow,including limbs, I dry imediatilly.

I had experience with the wd40 making other plastic and rubber easily broken and loose elasticity. I used wd40 on the threads of the tail cap of my mag flashlight and the o-ring that seals it have become completelly melted and destroyed. Try it on a rubber band, and you will see it dissolves it on some days.

So I am sure in the long term, if someone soaks the limbs in penetrating oil formula (any one, wd40 and others) would for sure, help to reduce the limb life and even helping weaken them. Limbs are a combination of a plastic resin and fiber. Limbs always have micro cracks, wich of them would absorb this kind of oil.

Its just a warning base on my own experience. Wd40 is great stuff, away from plastic parts.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Destroys the rubber coating on 'BSA' scopes and is worthless in m/l bores for storage for any length of time. I used to use it a lot more until I discovered "Tri-Flow". Good Stuff.
"Eze 18:21"
scratcherky

Post by scratcherky »

WD40 has essencially no lubricating properties.
Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Someone close to me inherited a big pile of guns, he didn't have the time to store them all correctly so he sprayed them down with WD-40 before a long term storage(6 months). They all came out covered in a hard casing that resembled cracking varnish.
I was a big fan of the stuff until I cleaned each and every gun. I was thinking it just had a bad reaction to the oil already on the guns. Every time I hear the word WD-40 I cringe thinking about that poor Savage O/U that took almost two days to get the crispy coating off of.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Pydpiper wrote: Every time I hear the word WD-40 I cringe thinking about that poor Savage O/U that took almost two days to get the crispy coating off of.
Crispy coating, huh? :?:

Hmmm ...

Wonder if it would work on chicken? :shock:

Maybe that's the Colonel's "secret"! :!:

:D :wink: 8) :wink: :lol: :wink:
Grizz
Long Trang

Post by Long Trang »

Last edited by Long Trang on Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Seems like people either love, or hate WD-40 :lol:
I'll admit I'm a lover. :roll:
I can see that it would very easily cause problems if used improperly or carelessly.
I'm not saying gad was dumb or careless, perhaps misinformed as to it's qualities, though. Please do not read this as any criticism!!!!!!!

I used WD-40 on my guns for years with no big problems, but as better lubricants/protectants became available I switched my methods. I never really long-term store my guns, I shoot them if I own them! :lol:
Today I use WD-40 as a cleaner/moisture remover. For example, with my muzzleloaders I always clean with water, then use WD-40 to remove any traces of water left in the bore - then wipe it out and use RemOil for protection against rust.
On the crossbow, if I hunt in the rain I dry it as best I can with towels and compressed air, then spray the claw/trigger area with WD-40. Then I use compressed air to remove as much WD-40 (and any remaining moisture) and wipe the bow down with a towel. Then a spray of RemOil in the claw/trigger area and compressed air again to remove any excess. The bolt & screw heads get a wipe with my gun oil pad (a sheepskin pad saturated with gun oil), as well as the rail.
It sounds like a lot of work, and it sometimes is! But I have never had any rust problems with that system, so I'm sticking with it! :lol:
wabi
brokebow

Post by brokebow »

I ran a small fillingstation for 19 years and I bought WD40 by the 5 gallon can and used it for just about everything. I was best for water displacement. I would take off the distribuater when they were wet and spray it in the cap and points and spray the sparkplug wires and it would work great. also sprayed it in the carberators to start a car or truck, Well cant do thgis any more no cap or points or even plug wires,but I still use the stuff at home for a lot of different chores. But I use a sinthetic gun oil on all my guns and I use dish soap to clean my archery equipment. Jerry
Jerry