Need Help!! Wild Dogs, Are They Dangerous?????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREY OWL

Need Help!! Wild Dogs, Are They Dangerous?????

Post by GREY OWL »

I'm asking any one with information about Wild Dogs. I know from reading posts on here that down in the southern U.S.A. wild dogs are a big problem. But up here in the north country they would never survive a harsh winter, "I think".

About a 10 days ago I was hunting on our property and I could here a pack of dogs barking in the bush, north of my place. I found this odd, because there are no farms any where close. I brushed it off. Yesterday I'm hunting for deer with a friend, we met up at the back of our property in the bush to chat about our findings. Just then I saw 5 deer bolting past about 100 yards away, I knew we weren't responsible for this. not more than 5 minutes later, 2 huge black dogs were right on the deer's trail chasing them. At first I thought they were wolves, becuase there is a resident wolf pack in the adjacent forest. I could clearly see they were dogs of some sort, likely Labs. I put the scope on them, but they were gone in seconds.
Fifteen minutes later, I'm standing on the highest hill on our property, over looking about 700 acres of brush country. Out of the blue a doe comes flying over the fence in the general vicinity where the dogs had gone. I knew for sure something scared her. Sure as sh%#t not 2 but 3 full grown black labs were right on her tail.
My question is.................. are these buggers dangerous or what????
I have never in my life seen or heard of wild dogs chasing deer. I'm sure I read on here that they (wild dogs) are very dangerous and can or will attack human beings, am I right?
I would muchly appreciate any feed back on this issue.

Grey Owl
wabi

Post by wabi »

A short answer to dangerous - YES!
Dogs that go "wild" can be very dangerous because they often have lost than "natural fear" of man.
Years ago we had a "landfill" outside town where people dumped about anything they wanted to. The feral dogs were a very real hazard after a few years. They would scavenge the landfill for edibles, but as pack size increased the landfill didn't provide enough food and they expanded their range (and eating habits) and became a real problem to neighboring farmers. An "open season" on feral dogs was required to solve the problem after the landfill was covered & closed.
I can still remember a heated argument between one dog owner and a person who had shot his dog (with a pack of others that had killed a calf).
"My dog DON'T chase cattle" - Well then, I didn't shoot YOUR dog, as the dogs I shot were eating a freshly killed calf. But if you want to pay fair market value for that calf, I'll buy you another dog. End of argument. :roll:
wabi
hawg hunter

wild dogs

Post by hawg hunter »

Did you miss a shot or what? That only happens once in my part of the country. wild or feral dogs are pratice here in Texas. I love dogs and have more than a few (14) if they run a deer they get the shock collar once if they do it it twice it's happy bone yard in the sky.
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

about 10 or so years ago we had a similar wild dog problem and yes there were dogs with collars running in the pack intermittantly rumor had it that some may have been shot.
thanks philip
gruntahunta

Post by gruntahunta »

here in Australia wild dogs are a real problem further north from where i hunt, but if they come any where near my hunting ground there pig bate.

they have attacked people over hear and at one stage there were mobs of around a hundred but they soon got thinned out.
on our east coast there are people who regularly go dog shooting on there weekends.
responsible hunters are true conservationists and game managers.
gunnutjay

Post by gunnutjay »

Hey Guys;

YES, dogs running wild can be dangerous! It's also NOT very responsible for any dog owner to allow it to happen. I love dogs, have hunted deer using dogs (yes, it's legal here) and recovered deer because of the tracking skills of a dog...

BUT... Any dog running deer OUT of season is asking for the SSS treatment...

Cheers
gunnutjay
Limbs and Sticks

dogs

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

It may be all taken care of if wolf pack finds them, still be careful, had to shoot a husky out of my stand once wouldn't let me down

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Old Buck

Post by Old Buck »

Anumber of years ago we had a problem with what are called coy-dogs, they would attack any thingthat moved. The farmers had big problems especially in spring lamb season. Mostly it seems to be dogs no one wants anymore and they are released into the country to fend for themselves .
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

if they are wild they won't be dangerous with an arrow stuck in them....i had to empty my quiver once in N.J. when 3 dogs chased a deer from the area....i yelled at them to get rid of them and they came over to me growling at me up in the tree....well 6 arrows later and 3 dead dogs they weren't dangerous any more :wink: ..............bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I had a couple hunt me while I was scouting for deer. They heard me walking and cut off my approach. Started advancing threateningly, snarling when they must have realized I wasn't a deer. But I had a surprise for them, I never walk the brush without a sidearm. Wolves have since moved into the area, since then there are no other canine competition there...or deer!
Last edited by Cossack on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benu

Post by Benu »

Yes they are dangerous! If you are interested in some exciting real life stories about wild dogs, read the book The Tracker The true story of Tom Brown, Jr as told to William Jon Watkins. Chapter 7, The Dog Tree is a prime example. It is a great read! They have it at Chapters/Indigo.
Take it easy.

Jason

2008 Phoenix
Varizone Scope
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Thanks guys for all your replies. I kinda thought you shouln't mess with these types of animals.

Just got off the phone with the local Game Warden. He gave me the go ahead to take these dogs if I should see them again. They've been around the area for a least 2 weeks that i know of. That explain's all the running deer tracks I've been seeing on our land. But what I didn't see were the bigger than normal dog tracks. I just assumed they were big coyotes. Hard to tell in the snow.

I certainly love dogs, but I have two issues. 1. These dogs can be dangerous to both me and my family, or any one else in the area (ranchers). 2. They are harrassing the wildlife.

I'm not sure where these dogs came from. They might have been dropped off on the nearby highway, or my guess, they came from a Indian Reservation about 7 miles away. I say that because this reserve has a history of abandoning animals of all sorts. They've presently have horse's running loose, causing problems for local farmers. About 2 years ago a big fight broke out on the reservation between two groups on the reserve. At the same time this band had almost 50 head of Buffalo, no one took responsibility for feeding or caring for them. They broke loose wandering the countryside, ending up on a neighbour land for the summer, fall and winter. Sometime around Feb. they stranded onto my property. Just then the local R. M. (County) passed a law, anyone seeing Stray Buffalo, or Wild Boars can shoot on sight. The Indians came on my property without permission to get their Buffalo, but the idiots forgot 4 of them. I had the chance to kill'em and grill'em, but come spring they disappeared. I sure these dogs belong to them also.

If I should get any of them, I'll you posted. Once again thanks for all of your information, and comments.

Grey Owl

P.S.
Benu, I've got that same book of Tom Brown Jr. I read it a long time ago and don't remember that chapter. That guy is one amazing man, and recommend his books to everyone. He was on the Johnny Carson show, and was considered the number 1 survivalist in the U.S.A. Navy Seals wouldn't hold the light tho this guy.
Sleeping Dog

Post by Sleeping Dog »

There is a difference between coy-dogs and wild dogs. What we think of as a "wild dog" is usually a dog that was lost or cast off by it's owners and has learned how to survive in the wild. With no inherent fear of humans they are extremely dangerous and unpredictable.

Then there are coy-dogs which are the product of coyotes breeding with domestic dogs...usually strays or "wild dogs". They have most of the traits of coyotes but do not have the natural fear of humans that coyotes have. Again, very dangerous. In Southern Ontario coyotes often get a bad rap for killing livestock that is actually being killed by coy-dogs.

SD
Visit the Sleeping Dog at Southern Ontario Outdoors
http://www.sooutdoors.ca
Vladymere

Dogs

Post by Vladymere »

On our lease any coyote or dog (domesticated coyote) that can be killed is. I don't feel good about killing peoples pets but I do it. I would hate for someone to kill mine but I keep them in the house or fenced in the yard. Responsible dog owners do not let their dogs run wild. There are leash laws, even in the counties. Responsible pet owners keep their dog's on thier property.

My brother in TN had a coy-dog as a pet for a number of years. A sweet dog. He would let it run where it wanted to. It sometimes would come home with chicken blood and feathers on it's snout. One day the dog never came home again. We suspect a chicken farmer finaly got her. I'm sorry she was killed but I can't blame the farmer. My brother is the party responsible for the dog's death as he did not keep the dog restrained to his property.

Vlad
Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

SSS. :wink: