Ohio's gun season opened today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Ohio's gun season opened today

Post by wabi »

And the weather was terrible. Cold, rain/snow mix falling, and high wind meant the deer weren't moving. I sat in the blind until 10:00AM, then called it a day. :roll:
Looks like cold, clear, and windy again tomorrow - so I called customers and scheduled work. :lol:

Glad I have plenty of meat in the freezer already, the Phoenix has taken care of keeping us in meat so far this year!
wabi
AdamA

Post by AdamA »

and someone has already been killed, although it was from falling out of his treestand....think he was from PA.

Wednesday looks to be a good day, I know here in Columbus we had about 20mph winds and rain/snow mix today....gee I love working outside.
2008 Excalibur Phoenix
STS, FF String
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

im sure some big ones will start falling soon
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

It was miserable! I was out in it most all of the day. Came in to the house, had some food, checked the forum and went back out into the freezing ice pellets.

Gee, life is grand.

Deer didn't move.

I didn't blame them.

Think I will sleep in tomorrow morning.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Shucks you all had it rough!! :(
I set here and watched it rain/snow and the wind blow whilest I cut down my STS to fit MY WAY!! Just like Boo's.

While doing that I watched the turkey do the struts in the back 40,, :lol: No deer however :shock:

Good Hunting!!

GaryL .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Sounds like you had as bad of an opener as I did in Indiana, Wabi!

At least you didn't drive 725 miles and pay $300 in license fees for the privilege! :wink:
Last edited by Grizzly Adam on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

wasn;t our gun opener but had some light snow flurries and winds high of 38. i saw the same Doe twice. which was great cause i haven't saw a deer in over 2 weeks maybe 3.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Talked to the landowner where I hunt this morning (after our morning hunts) and he told me he hasn't been seeing deer this year either.
He did tell me yesterday evening he was in the blind next to the north property line when 2 fawns walked by and headed into the cedar thicket across the line. They were gone from sight for a minute, then it sounded like a war zone! :roll:
He said one came back through, limping a little bit, and he tracked it in his scope long enough to see it wasn't seriously injured (or he would have put it down).

Not sure I'm even going to go back out until gun season ends! :? :shock:
wabi
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Just came back in from the evening hunt out here on the farm. It was a lot warmer and the wind had died down somewhat.

On Monday and Tuesday I hunted the neighborhood and saw a lot of doe's but only three bucks. One entered my 100 yard kill zone but he was a second year eight so he walked. The two others were mature bucks but were well out of my range.

This morning I saw one buck. He is a three year old with a nice rack. We have watched him since he was a button buck. He needs to grow another year or two to be considered "harvestable."

Tonight at 5:05 I saw the buck we call the "wrestler" and a doe was trolling him along behind her on the way to the clover field. They were about 80 yards and I feel comfortable with that shot but I kind of promised my buddy Shrader that I wouldn't kill that buck as he really wants him. So he walked.

Day one at the farm complete and no palmated buck sighting. :cry:
just a feed boy

Post by just a feed boy »

I hunted in Magnolia Oh Mon and Tues , 4 of us saw 11 deer in two days, 1 shot and a miss probably the lamest first and second day I've ever seen. Very few shots on neighboring properties. I myself only saw 1 deer in 2 days
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The deer were really moving today, Thursday. I hunted a saddle in the morning and saw several doe's and one buck.

Went in at ten thirty and had some breakfast. Went back out at eleven and hunted until three on the same saddle. Saw two bucks.

This evening I hunted the bottom of a hollow that flattens out and is about fifty yards wide. I saw nine does and three bucks, all young.

Day four of the Ohio gun season is over. No palmated buck.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I had to do that nasty 4 letter word today - work. :oops: :cry:
Might get up and give it a try in the morning though, sounds like the weather is going to be fairly good, but the insulated coveralls might feel good! :lol:
wabi
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Good luck Mike ...

PS : Your grunt calls are still working good for me !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Its been a struggle up here as a group we have 5. Not good considering by this time we usually have atlleast 15 by now.. We have been on some good buck though. One was took from under are nose and poor planning and bad shooting have also came into play this week. Still 3 more days. Good luck everyone!
whateverworks

Post by whateverworks »

just got back from north east ohio hunted from mon to fri. man o man i'm moving to ohio. hehheh. i saw more deer on the first day than i have in ontario in the last ten years. what a blast, didn't shoot anything but only 'cause the right one didn't come along I prob. saw the least of anyone in our group and i saw 31, prob 20 where dead dear if i had wanted to shoot, lots of doe and a few small bucks. what an awesome time, great people and lots of deer. :D