Trail Cameras

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbhntr

Trail Cameras

Post by xbhntr »

I have a HP Compaq DC7600 P4 Desk Top Computer 169GB $.3MHZ, 1GB DDR Memory. What type of trail camera is required so I can view the pictures on this computer? Ray.
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

Ray,
If your computer has slots to read the different types of media cards you should be able to pop the card out of the camera and into the computer and download the photos. You can then keep the ones you want and delete the rest. Most trail cameras use SD cards, which are very common.
Hope you get some good photos. We'll all want to check out the action, so we'll be looking for some samples when you get set up.
Jerry
dutchhunter

card reader

Post by dutchhunter »

mycomputer did not have a card slot so i put the card from my trail cam in my didgetal cam and pluged it in to my computer and this worked fine as well DUTCH
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Wall Mart sells a card reader that reads any type of card, plugs in to any USB $20. My GPS in my truck reads them too, so I can watch them right on location, that is pretty handy. Our Wii unit also plays the cards, it is a great way to view the photos.
Lots of options out there.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
dutchhunter

card

Post by dutchhunter »

i bring my didgital camara with on every trip out hunting and can slip the card from the trail cam in it and view the pics right there on the spot DUTCH
Fishn-Hunter

Re: card reader

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

dutchhunter wrote:mycomputer did not have a card slot so i put the card from my trail cam in my didgetal cam and pluged it in to my computer and this worked fine as well DUTCH
Be careful with using your digital camera to view your trail cam pics. According to the manual for my StealthCam I430IR it is not compatible with any other digital camera. It says not to view the images by putting the sd card in any other type of digital camera as it re-formats the card to a format that the StealthCam does not relate to. It is safe however to use a laptop to view and this is what I do, I just take a second sd card with me and swap them out and bring the card home and check it on the laptop or take the laptop with me and check it in the field. I do not know if this is the case with all trail cams or even all StealthCams but it is with this particular model. Be sure to check your manual first before viewing, as I found out the hard way. I used a reg cam to view the card and replaced the card back into the StealthCam, it took a bunch more pics but they were all either white washed or blackened with no image. I referred to the manual for trouble shooting and that is when I came across the warning. I even called the customer service line to confirm and it is true. I was able to reformat the card on the laptop and I have had no issue since. I will never know what the pics were of and that is the part that stings the most, guess it pays to read the manual cover to cover first lol.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
dutchhunter

sd card

Post by dutchhunter »

it sems to work just fine with the moultriy and have had no problems yet DUTCH
mikej

Post by mikej »

i do the same as dutch put the sd card in my digital camera it works fine for me i have a spypoint ir trail cam
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Geees lost my post. You can pick up a card reader just about any where cheap, plus most printers have card readers also.

If you are just buying a trail cam make sure its digital as FILM cams of course ya cant use a card in..

Have Fun,

GaryL .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

This has probably came up before and if so, please forgive me.

I say if you buy a trail cam to be sure to get an IR camera.

For a long time I argued that the flash did not bother deer...and I was half right. I had talked to many folks and the serious ones all advised to get IR cameras because most bucks would shy away from them. I thought, "bull!"

Well, I broke down and bought an IR because I wanted another camera anyway and did my eyes ever get opened! Looking back in my files of pictures, I began to notice that I had lots of pictures of larger bucks....but only one picture of most of them. A couple I had two pictures. Then I found with the IR camera I suddenly was getting several pictures of those larger bucks instead of only one or two.

Then came opening day of archery season two years ago. Around 7:30 am I spotted two bucks moving from my left to right. Ah! They also turned and started coming my way. The lead buck was a very nice 8-pointer and the second one was a little smaller. Not only that, but I was going to be able to shoot that nice buck. What a start to archery season!

Problem! I had my trail cam (not IR) set along that trail about 20 feet from the runway. It also was about 35 yards from my stand. The buck was walking along nicely and was getting my heart working in good order too when suddenly....he is right in line with the trail cam! He didn't even stop! He took one glance at that camera and turned around so fast I could hardly believe it and ran out of there so fast you'd think he had been shot!

Well, when I looked at the pictures that day of what was on the camera...there was those two bucks. That picture had been taken around 10:00 pm the evening before. So, that's all it took was one picture to scare that buck.

Since then, I have really noticed a huge difference in the two cameras. So I now try to place the non-IR camera only where I can look over some does, especially in early to mid summer. I leave the buck picture taking to the IR camera.

Yes, for my money, IR is the only way to go. (btw, I have Cuddeback cameras.)
Keep smiling!
Dennis
mikej

Post by mikej »

i agree flash cameras have scared more then a few bucks here. as said you get one picture and then never see them again
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

the flash cameras I have I usually put around fields and no where close to my stands I hunt for that reason. I dont trust the flash on a mature buck. I still get a idea of whats in that area. Im going to get some IR cameras for next year though for trails close to my core hunting areas though 8)

but back on subjest.. most printers now have the card readers. Just pop the card in and they will display on your PC. If not then most cameras have a USB cord to slot which you can transfer pictures