What a hunt, no shot, but a great hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fratri

What a hunt, no shot, but a great hunt

Post by fratri »

Oh I had a really good hunt today, I just got back and I am excited… Didn’t shoot anything but boy what a hunt. I was sneak hunting, walking through some overgrown hilly fields with sagebrush all over. I did that for about an hour and did not see anything. I basically walk and stop, take a few steps and stop, look around take a few steps, you get the idea. After about an hour I spot a doe about 200yds out browsing. I make my way about 10 yds futher to get a sagebrush as a backstop and watch as one deer turns into 2 then 3 and then 4. Looks like 2 does and 2 fawns. They look like they are headed in my direction so I make myself statue like and slowly drop to my knees. A minute later I see some shiny stuff, turns out to be antlers, a little six pointer is following the does…After about 50 yds or so he turns and heads into some brush and the does continue to come in. The does eventually get broadside about 40 yds or so but stay in the sagebrush, so no clear shot. I am beginning to loose light at this time as the deer continue to browse within range. The six pointer returns and is about 100yds out. I decide before the wind gives me away to the does I will try my buck call and see if I can get him to come in. Sure enough after a few grunts he starts heading my way. He is not trotting but rather walking toward me. He would walk and stop, walk and stop. As he is walking toward me the does and fawns are staring right at me and start stomping at me. The buck finally stopped and he is staring at me, not sure what I am but he is only 20 yds away. When he was out of range he was in the clear when he got within range some sagebrush got between us. So he is there 20 yds away, on the other side of some sagebrush and staring in my direction facing me head on, I have the does stomping and waiting for this buck to turn away from the sagebrush so I have a shot. But as luck would have it, it was a no go. We were like this for about 10 mins. Unfortunately the wind shifted slightly and a doe started snorting and to make this as short as possible all deer including the buck took off. What a hunt, lots of action but no deer, we will try again Sunday morning. Tomorrow will be for coyote’s….So calling does work, hopefully they will give me another chance. No deer but a great hunt…..
killshot

Post by killshot »

Excellent story fratri. That is as much fun as the harvest in my honest opinion. Good luck with the coyotes tomorrow.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Sounds like a really good hunt to me, too! :D
Grizz
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Sounds like you had a great hunt! Good luck on the yotes tommorow!

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Sounds like you had great success!! To get that close to a buck on the ground. WOW!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

AWESOME HUNT!
THAT'S what it's all about! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

Great hunt thanks for sharing it.
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
saxman

Post by saxman »

Great story.
It's different on the ground,I like it.

I got busted the other day in my GB so I need to wear black upper garments and Balaclava like the company suggested.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011