Range finders and ground blinds

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fred

Range finders and ground blinds

Post by Fred »

This for all the old half blind old geezers that can't see good anymore I have had so many laser surgeries that when I set and look through the screen on my blinds I get dizzy anyway as it gets darker I can't judge distance for crap but which range finder will work well the last people that seem to know are the people that sell them or make them My first attempt was a bushnell 450 that didn't do it it works great but not through the screen more phone calls more searchs and finally bingo a 1500 bushnell elite I took this one back in the swamp yesterday in a minie blizzard beat the snow and ice off the blinds got in and 1500 works perfect it shot through the screen and all the snow and gave perfect readings I checked 2 Dbl bulls BR-5's and my ole stand by a Rural king ground max that has some really serious screen in it I whacked as much snow and ice off as I could and I really didn't think it would work but it did and like a charm I bought this at Gander MT and the ARC model for some reason was the same price as the reg 1500 the case and all the straps seem to be well thought out and hunter friendly anyway that range finder works through the screen Yahoo
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

that's the one i'm looking at to buy....my thinking is when i first set up my blind i'll range different objects to get there range without the mesh up yet....as a deer walks past any of these objects i'll know how far they will be for the shot.............bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i use the 450 and love it.. its a cheap model, but not bad for sub 200bucks. I only use mine to range tree's from my stand. If any limbs are close or anything is blocking some of the view, it has a hard time reading the target
Sleeping Dog

Post by Sleeping Dog »

Particularly for archery, it's a good idea to take your time and range objects beforehand than it is to range game right before a shot.

A laser will give you a reading for the fist reflective object it hits. In the heat of the moment you are more likely to range a branch or rock instead of your target. Your eyes will see the target but the laser will see the branch.

Stronger lasers (hence more expensive) often have a sophisticated algorithm programmed into the microprocessor that will compensate for snow, rain, and fine screen, but all lasers depend on a clear line of site to return accurate readings.

SD
Visit the Sleeping Dog at Southern Ontario Outdoors
http://www.sooutdoors.ca
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Interesting thread, my 450 is getting a bit cloudy when i look through it, may be time for a new one.
I would like to hear more about the 1500..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

My Leica LRF 1200 reads through the screen of my blind.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"