BEAR ATTACK IN DOWN EAST CAROLINA

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

BEAR ATTACK IN DOWN EAST CAROLINA

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Thought y'all might want to read this.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/35753634.html

This happened either in Jones or Onslow county, I guess ... the article doesn't specify.

This area is south of where Ray lives ... closer to him than me.

Around here, I attack the bears ... hopefully! :shock: :wink:

On a serious note, this helps emphasize the necessity of carrying some protection in bear country. I always do. Thanks to the new legislation that's overturned the ban against concealed carry in our national wildlife refuges and parks, hopefully it will soon be legal to protect yourself in some of the vast areas of wild land we have around here, like Pocosin Lakes NWR next to me.
Grizz
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Sad indeed, the hunter is in "fair" condition at Pitt Memorial. The Huffman Forest borders our hunting club on the east west side. The county line runs right through the middle of the 80,000 acre tract of land so there's no telling which county the incident occurred in. The NCWMR (same as DNR) will not investigate the incident saying that the hunter provoked the attack. I have hunted the Huffman Forest before and it has a very healthy bear population. I hunted as a guest there about 5 years ago and was surprised that the club only allowed the use of shotguns with buck shot, even while bear hunting :shock: :shock: . Not me, how about you Boo :wink: . A teenager was shot and killed by an irresponsible hunter over there many years ago and that prompted the "no rifle" rule that is still in effect, to the best of my knowledge. I know that if I were to go bear hunting, a shotgun with buckshot would be my last weapon of choice. Anyhow, we'll wait for the entire story to come out before we find out exactly what went wrong. In the mean time, we'll be praying for the fellow hunter.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
scratcherky

Post by scratcherky »

A shotgun with buckshot just may be more effective than any other weapon. It is very deadly.
Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
dutchhunter

buck shot

Post by dutchhunter »

if any body read the tests by peter capstick on buch shot it is very deadly at very closr range past 30 yards it is worthless and doue odd buck is the least effective number 4 buck being the most effective amount of shot on target that is his opinion from years of testing in africa on all sizes of game .i agree but every year i hear of guys killing deer at 80 yards ith this stuff and flucks do happen but i donot think this is regular DUTCH
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

fellsa I know from Maryland sometimes use a shotgun with buckshot on the last nite of a bearhunt as they do not want a long track or wounded bear with a bow shot. they said it drops them in their tracks,9 little round holes.,but they are hunting over bait,where a careful shot can be taken.I cant understand how a hunter can leave his friend who is being attacked by a bear to go for help when he has a gun and could do something, but then I wasnt there so who knows.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Buckshot groups depends on the bar. 26in ic opens up real quick,28mod a liitle slower to open up 40yds max, full choke 40 to 60 yds I've got a bar choked at .680 that will drop them at 80yds open field of course. Sorry that fella got hurt :(

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Of course there will be rumors on top of rumors but I heard that he shot the bear with a magnum handgun and made a bad shot. He said that the bear fell over, groaned, and then was on him before he had a chance to get the gun back up. So, if that's true it means that the bear was very close. I guess some guys like the excitement of a dangerous hunt but I'm gonna stick with Boo on this one and keep chasing whitetails. I'm not going to knock anyones way of hunting as long as it's legal but it just isn't for me :D .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

It was confirmed on the news that the hunter was shooting a handgun. He obviously made a bad shot because after a night and full day of tracking by the hunting party as well as the wildlife department, the bear was not found. It is believed that the bear was probably not mortally wounded. The hunter suffered severe lacerations to both legs and was released from the hospital last night. The media and anti hunters are having a field day with the entire hunting issue :roll: . Have a great day everyone.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
hawg hunter

Bear protection

Post by hawg hunter »

I hunt the POOR MANS GRIZZLY alot and one of the guns that is used quite often is a shotgun in close cover with alternating slugs and buckshot.As stated up to 30 yds. I've killed a few Hawgs and never a bear .this is one of the best at close range and a target that is not only intent on killing but eating.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have had zero kills with buck shot but that's most likely operator error.

I dont do well leading moving targets.
When I hunt with dad I carry a 12 ga and a 30/30, the 12 gets held most
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011