unloading

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dutchhunter

unloading

Post by dutchhunter »

how many people realy know how to unload there xbow with the rope cocking aid .this is the best and most usfull tip i have learned in 20 years of xbow hunting .never to have to shot another arrow to unload again .for years i was wearing out my fingers doing it by hand never again DUTCH :lol: :?:
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I don't use the rope aid, but do uncock using the crank. Much better than shooting an arrow.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I have unloaded my xbow every time since I bought it with a rope cocker.
Other than target practice of coarse. To used to rifles shoot it off then you have more work cleaning it when you get home.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I do it. It's not difficult. I used to uncock by hand, but it was tough some nights when my fingers were too frozen to grip the string. The rope cocker works great!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

What models are you guys un-loading by hand? I had an exomax and i cant imagine using just my fingers to unload it. Using the cocking string is so simple after doing it once. I cant see why anyone would take the chance of dry firing when they could use the rope?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Rope cocker is simple and effective. Just make sure to have your arrow out first, good way to ruin a pair of boots. :wink:
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
BryanOney

Unloading

Post by BryanOney »

Can someone explain how to use a rope cocking aid to unload a crossbow. Thanks
Normous

Post by Normous »

Pydpiper wrote:Rope cocker is simple and effective. Just make sure to have your arrow out first, good way to ruin a pair of boots. :wink:
Or foot.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i use the rope cocker as well... works well ... i think it's on the dvd that comes with the xbow.....
sjohn464

Post by sjohn464 »

what's wrong with changing to a target bolt and shooting at a target? Gives me a little practice between hunting.
steve
awshucks

Re: Unloading

Post by awshucks »

BryanOney wrote:Can someone explain how to use a rope cocking aid to unload a crossbow. Thanks
There's a video on the home site of Bill T doing it. Put the hooks on the string, work all the slack to your stong arm side, one handle will be tight to the hook, put your foot in the stirrup, pull up w/ strong arm [here's where I double check everything]and trip the trigger. They go down a lot easier than they go up. Took me quite awhile to work up the nerve w/ an Emax 1st time.

I think it's safe to say most who try it are hooked, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

that's how i do it awsucks, the only thing i see it doing any harm to is the camo finish is getting wore away in the rope channel..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
VixChix

Re: Unloading

Post by VixChix »

BryanOney wrote:Can someone explain how to use a rope cocking aid to unload a crossbow. Thanks
This is the way I uncock my Vixen - I'm right-handed:

Make sure the bow is unloaded (it's worth triple checking this - count arrows to make sure all are accounted for, run finger in rail groove to make sure it's empty, check stirrup is clear.)

Hold cocking aid at the right-handed end so that the hooks fall against the left t-handle at the other end.

Throughout this process I only hold the right t-handle (the long end) of the cocking aid.

Attach the left hook to the left side of the string, guide the string up through the cocking groove, then attach the right hook to the right side of the string. Keep tension with the long end of the rope to hold the strings in place and the rope in the groove. I need to take a couple of wraps around my right hand with the long end to do this.

With your foot securely in the stirrup, WHILE PULLING UP HARD on the t-handle in the right hand, ease off the safety with your left hand and then release the trigger.

Guide the string down with the aid. Let any wraps pull off the right hand as needed. As the string is lowered the tension decreases and it's easier to release any wraps around the right hand.

That's it. :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Sorry Awshucks, I was writing while you were posting! :oops:
DanO

Post by DanO »

I agree with the first post about this technique being the best thing I've learned in 20 years. If you touch that trigger before you have both hands firmly on the string (ie. the old way to unload) and you get that string across the tips of your fingers, you'll REALLY appreciate the newer way using the cocking device.
:oops:
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.