Palmated Perseverance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Palmated Perseverance

Post by Mike P »

Palmated Perseverance

I have some good news and some bad news for those following this stupid journey. The good news is that as of 7:41 this morning the SOB is alive. The bad news is he is killing me.

I walked off the distance this morning from the tree I chose to cover the trail I was hunting. Of course he didn't use the trail but came in above me. I was on a hillside leading up to the cut bean field. He was 42 yards from my tree. And he was more then eye level with me and looking right at me.

I have no idea how he got there. I just turned my head to look up the hill and there he was. I also have no idea as to how long he had been watching me. Makes you wonder who is hunting who. And I am willing to wager this is not the first time he has done this to me. This is just the only time I caught him.

This buck is uncanny. We have known of his existence for four years. And we think he was at least two when we first discovered him. We would find his sheds but never see him. The only pics we have of him from the cuddy's are partial views. It's like he knows they are there and purposely avoids them.

This is the second time I have had a close encounter with this buck from a climber with the Phoenix in hand. The first time he didn't see me. This time I didn't see him. And this encounter seemed to last forever. When I turned to look up the hill and saw him looking right at me I just froze in that half-turned position. The buck and I then engaged in the "who will blink first" game. As I have said before, you never win this game with a mature buck. You will blink first, you can't help it. Your neck muscles start to scream after a while and you just physically cannot hold that position any longer. So you move ever so slowly trying to relieve the pain. And he sees every motion only too well.

When I gave up and moved the rest of my body around to align with my now aching neck facing up the hill he bolted. It was not a shot out of a cannon bolt. It was more of a "you can't hurt me" fast trot. And over the top of the hill he went and my hunt had ended early. I still stayed in the tree until 10:00 AM but that was just out of pure habit and desire to see what other wildlife would come along. I knew I would not shoot any deer that happened by this morning.

As I kicked back to watch the rest of the morning unfold all I thought of was the palmated buck. And for the very first time I am having thoughts that I just may not be able to kill him. I have not made mistakes with this buck. I have invested countless hours of "homework" determining his habits and his travel routes. And the hours in the climber are really starting to add up. Yet I am still unable to put him within thirty yards of the tip of my Phoenix.

At the start of the season I was quietly confident I would kill this buck. This confidence is now being tested. If he feels he is being really pressured I am sure he will go completely nocturnal. He might go looking for a couple of early first year doe's that will come into estrous after Christmas and into the early New Year. So there is the chance I could get a crack at him with my Omega during the Ohio black powder season.

I am still not waving the white flag yet for killing him with the arrow. I will continue to go after him with every trick I know even at the risk of pressuring him into a nighttime existence. My hope is that the colder weather now will force him to move during daylight for food to fuel his furnace. I know these daylight movements will be short and that he will still "lie up" most of the day. If I have any shot at him during the next three weeks it will be due to food. And I am going to hunt him accordingly.

He, of course, knows that I know this. And I am sure he will hunt me accordingly.
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

well spoken thanks
catcher

Post by catcher »

Man every time I read a post on this palmated buck I expect to hear from you that you straightened out the phoenix limbs and put an arrow through him. I hope you conquer this great buck.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Keep at it, Mike! :D

You'll get 'im ... or not. :wink:
Grizz
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Ho Humm, Win some, lose some. Sounds like you two are evenly matched.
As an xbower, of course I'm rooting for you. As a reader of tales...... lol.

May the best male win............ [think how big he'll be next year, Mike!!]

Seriously, I'm waiting for the story, and he can't type.
"Eze 18:21"
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

On one hand, I hope you stick him good and noble like.

On the other hand, I hope you continue to battle him and match wits on a regular basis.

I have a relationship so to speak with a big wise man here as well and I will have very mixed emotions if I do every outsmart him.

It's incredible how much they can consume you.
I come by my name honestly.
hetichunter

Re: Palmated Perseverance

Post by hetichunter »

Mike P wrote: for those following this stupid journey.
Count me with those who are following your hunt for this buck. I dont think there are a lot of guys who do what your doing and it is great to read about your season and your hunt.

Just so you know there are a lot of other guys from other forums i belong to also reading about your hunt for this buck. They are gettin a kik outa it also.

Stay with it man!

And most of all keep us posted! :!: :!: :!:
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
mikej

Post by mikej »

good luck mike
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

This update is a few days late Mike :) I have been worried sick since gun season last week. On what had taken place! The news is good not great but will do for now. I plan to see him on the wall in March!!!!!!! Good Luck
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Good luck ! ... I have a beauty typical 10 point at one property right now that " is my Kryptonite " !

I've missed several opportunities :oops: :oops:

I'm usually able to stay composed during whitetail encounters , but this buck gets me shaking !! :lol: :lol:

At least two occations I would watch him come in ... be thinking " wait till the boys see this one " .... but have not been able to close the deal . :oops:

That's what keeps us coming back !!
Last edited by R.J. on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

A great read. Good luck!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Sorry Mike, I respect you but I ADMIRE the palmated one. Here's hoping he hunts you for a long time. Ain't it great?
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

awshucks wrote:Ho Humm, Win some, lose some. Sounds like you two are evenly matched.

LOL! :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikew

Post by mikew »

Pydpiper wrote:
awshucks wrote:Ho Humm, Win some, lose some. Sounds like you two are evenly matched.

LOL! :D
+1 LOL!!
Mike, while I thank you for the update, I do hope you'll be able to show us a pic of him with your crossbow laid across his still body.

-Mike