ordered a vortex

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

michiganman

ordered a vortex

Post by michiganman »

i will try to keep this to one topic.
does any one shoot a sts on there bows.also what weight is the bolts that come in the right stuff package.do you guys hunt with them,or go to a heavier shaft.

also anyone shoot mechanicle head out of theres..
how long should serving last too.
you guys been great,as you can see im now a michigan excalibur warior now.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I shoot 405 grn Gold tips out of my Vortex. 110 brass insert, 2" Blazers and 100 grn Slick tricks. Works great! If you do shoot mechanicals, try to avoid those you have to band, which can open in flight due to sudden surge of C bow. Serving lasts longer if you keep it waxed and at the proper brace height. I also find that keeping the deck lubed with Jig A Loo seems to extend serving wear. Turning the sting end for end extends serving wear, likely by exposing a different area in contact with hooks (?).
Keeping your brace height bewteen the two lines, the string waxed frequently, will give you longer service from the string. I apply wax then rub it in with a piece of soft leather.
Also find that a Flemish string, while it takes a bit of fussin' to keep proper brace height until it's broken it, gives me about 10 fps more and is quieter.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I shoot with a sts after boo's advice. It quiets the bow, and I beleive it helps with string life.after waxing the string and taking some shots, I noticed how far the string travelled foward without the sts. It was surprising. The sts stops the string it before it otherwise would. Not to mention the added security in a dry-fire ( but that almost never happens :lol: ) Yeah, RIGHT.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
8up

Post by 8up »

I use 415 gr Gold tips and 100 gr Slick Trick magnums. I think my STS and Boo string are the best money I have spent on the bow. Boo string serving outlast all others I have tried. My nephew shoots a vortex as well but doesn't have a Boo string and his is louder than mine. My Boo string is a 44 strand.
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
michiganman

vortex

Post by michiganman »

were do you get the sts and gold tips for it,JIM
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

it will be hard to find gold tips assembled for these bows. Its a few left but since excal switched to the easton shafts its not much need for them assembled. Most by the bare shafts and make their own gold tips:)

I shoot rage bheads out of mine with no issues..

but as said, you wont have any issues with any arrow with a weight from 350 to 450grains 8)
michiganman

gold tops

Post by michiganman »

what size gold tip shafts do you use . what nocks for the excalibur
size of vanes??.

i hate to say this but im starting from scratch learning a cross bow set up.

i
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

flat butt ends for the excal bows
20inch GT2's
brass or aluminum inserts come with the bare shafts, but if you find the arrows assembled normally they have aluminum in them
2-5inch vanes work fine... Most use 2 and I do myself

some like longer vanes but I have seen no difference in flight between any of them. All the different size vanes do is play with the FOC. If you want more FOC which is weight towards the bhead end, then go with the smaller vane. If you want a more balanced shaft, then the longer vanes can help there

its all in your setup and any of them will work great
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Glad to see you settled on a bow Michigan Warrior!
I think you should stop trying to absorb all the little details, it will just leave you confused.
Start with a nice set of arrows from Crazy, and a Boo string and you will have everything you need to slay one of the big Michigan deer. It is everything you need plus a whole lot more. From there you can expand on your knowledge and add things, not that you will want or need to.

You guys sure take your deer serious over there, can't turn your head without seeing a tree stand. :D
What my wife and I found funny is that we would see big fancy trucks driving around with deer strapped to the hood, turn to see them and the back of the pickup is empty. :D
You made a good choice, don't dilute it by trying to understand everything too quickly, it will all fall in to place in due time.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string