Vixen

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Perch74

Vixen

Post by Perch74 »

My Dad has a Vixen and we are just trying to find the best combinations out there as far as string, bolt (brass or alum inserts), and what grain broadhead to use. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advanced.
Marco
Boo

Post by Boo »

I believe you can easily cut the shafts as short as 18" and still get good performance. Don't be afraid of experimenting. The Vixen can shoot an arrow lighter than the rest. I am shooting 19" shafts with great accuracy.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
dutchhunter

vixen

Post by dutchhunter »

i would go with the 18 inch arrow and a 100g or lighter broadhead you will pick up some speed this way .we have shot 150lb hortons with 17 inch arrows and 95 g heads and had pass thru shots on deer for many years before swhitching to xcal bows the light arrows will still blow right thru a deer if hit in the ribs with no problm the nice thig is you get to play with it and find what works DUTCH
wabi

Post by wabi »

I used 2213s cut to 18" and aluminum inserts in both ends with 100 gr broadheads in mine.
I also used a dacron string.
The heavier the point and/or insert the more stability the arrow will have in flight. In a crosswind it can make a difference, but I found the crossbow seem to handle arrows with lower FOC (less front heavy) better than vert bows. My guess is that the smaller vanes (2" Blazers) I use on my crossbow arrows are much less vulnerable to wind deflection than the 4 or 5" feathers I use on my arrows for my vert bows.
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I think you're best off with the fastest / heaviest arrow that you can live with in hunting situations. It's been my experience that heavier arrows perform better in hunting situations than do very light ones.
Grizz
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I have to agree with Grizz on this one.

But I am old and set in my ways. I still use 2219's with fixed blade 125 heads.

I know it's like launching telephone poles out of the phoenix but she still gets them there pretty fast and they do carry a wallop.

Also, the distance I shoot is always pretty close so I do not feel the need to send a lightweight arrow at warp speed.