Judging the wind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Wayne B

Judging the wind

Post by Wayne B »

I've started hunting from my house the last couple of years. My house is in a valley below surrounding hills. It's also between two lakes that aren't that far away. I have a heck of a time getting a true reading on wind direction. I have a small weathervane on my garage roof, but I can tell by the way it sometimes moves that the wind is swirling.I've gone to a stand before and had to move because I've guessed wrong. I use a talcum bottle, but it will swirl a bit too. When the wind is really strong it's no problem, it's when it's light that it's hard to tell. Does anybody use a wind sock or something of that nature that can give an accurate reading?
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Where I hunt it sounds very similar to your situation. I learned long ago not to trust anything, the wind changes direction so many times in an average minute that I focus more on scent control than deeking the wind.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I think there are places where no matter what you do any wind will swirl. I have spot at the end of a woods, between fields, near a slope and no matter what the prevailing winds are the wind will swirl in that area. Where I used to hunt up north there were valleys and ridges and ponds and the winds would swirl and seem to change almost constantly. So I hunt with the prevailing winds - but I take into cosideration the swirling winds if they're more than a lazy breeze.

To check the breeze I used to carry a little bottle of bubbles (the kind you sometimes get at weddings) and mixed a little vanilla into the solution. I`d blow a few bubbles to check the direction - it`s a good indicator as you can watch what the bubbles do as they drift further away. This year I just sprayed a bit of BuckBomb and watched how the aerosolized spray dispersed.

Concealing any movement is as important as watching your scent. Perhaps more important if you`re in an area where deer are already used to the scent of humans.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

wayne the flame from a lighter ( I dont smoke) but the flame from a lighter will detect the slightest breeze. Try it turn the flame up to the tallest and it works great..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I use a wind checker that is filled with cornstarch that puts a puff of white powder in the air. This gives me a good read on the wind. I have heard others say that they use the dried fluff from cat tails and milkweed pods.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
DanO

Post by DanO »

The minute you don't minimize your scent you will get busted unless the wind is incredibly consistent. It nevers seems to be where I hunt. I got lazy with scent control last night and yup I got busted.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

judging wind is like winning the lottery.. when you think you have it right, it switches direction.

the best way is just to check the weather channel and then write down which way it actaully blew while you wer ein the woods. Just because its a NW wind, doesnt mean it will blow NW through that bottom
honker

Post by honker »

bstout wrote:I have one of these (windicator) permanently installed at every tree stand and ground blind.

It's a piece of copper wire supporting a piece of white sewing thread.

These work very well and I can see them off to the side while I'm watching a deer without turning my head.

Going to have to try this one.. I like it.
Cossack

Green substitute for talcum

Post by Cossack »

I use milkweed seeds, more specifically the down that's attached to them. I can see them for a much longer time than talcum powder, etc. esp when the wind is swirling. gather them in early fall and store them in old fashioned film canisters. And, using them helps out Monarch butterflies who feed on the plant as larvae.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I second the milkweed seeds. Free.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Milkweed fluff works great!! You can watch it as it travels 50-60-70+ yards away from you. Watch how it behaves around trees. How it will start in one direction, momentarily turn 90 degrees then continue on in its original path.

It can be a confidence builder. Just because the wind shifts for a second doesn't mean you are busted. It can regain its course and head off in a "safe" direction.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"