STS on the faster excalibur bows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Michael Stogre

STS on the faster excalibur bows

Post by Michael Stogre »

It was reported to me today that excalibur did some testing with the STS
on the faster excalibur bows and the stoppers did not hold up very well.
I have been using them on my phoenix and am now near 600 shots
with my first pair of EDS stoppers. Anyone have any information on how
they fare on the faster bows--like the vortex-- or, if in fact excalibur itself has actually tested them on their bows? I am asking on behalf of a person
who shoots a vortex. Any feedback on this matter would be appreciated.
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
Bayou Stalker

Post by Bayou Stalker »

I shoot an Exomax, probably a 100 shots or so on my STS. No signs of wear at all. I think it is important that you set your brace height accordingly though.
Kendall
08 ExoMax
Boo String
GroundPounder quiver mount
Varizone
CrazyFarmer CowWacker Bolts (brass, 2" Predators)
Rage 3 Blades
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

I have shot my Vortex well over a hundred times since adding the STS and have very little wear on the pads. But I have them adjusted where the string just barly touches the pads which I believe makes a big difference in how long the pads will last.
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

We tested them a year or two back with pretty dismal results. Pads were good for about 50 shots before they wore through and the string started slapping the steel post and making more noise than it did before we put it on. If they have improved their bumpers I would like to retest one, but we won't add anything to our line that we can't personally say is going to stand up. They add a fair bit of weight, cost a fair chunk, and they'd better be durable and a vast improvement in noise control if we are going to recommend them
taureau noir

Post by taureau noir »

I made an homemade sts with Simm's bow absorber, shot it for over 2 years and no sign of wear.
Taureau noir
---------Chasseurs et Pêcheurs du Québec----
http://chasseursetpecheurs.actifforum.com
[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/momo7132/LOGO/chasseur_pecheur2.jpg[/img]
Michael Stogre

Post by Michael Stogre »

Many thanks to Bill t. et al for your responses to my query. Yes I have found the brace height to be a key factor, I also believe the EDS stoppers presently sold are of better quality than a few years ago.

Taureau Noir have you described your set-up somewhere on this forum? If so. do you have the link handy?
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

I have the STS on my Equinox and have about 150 shots or so, and I don't see any appreciable wear. I suspect I should get about 400 shots or so through the first set of bumpers. I'll make a note now and keep track from here on in on what their life will be.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Keep your string just touching or a "hair" from touching the pads to make them last longer. Also cutting the rods so that the bumpers are supported by the rods and STS body helps a lot too.

[img][img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/ ... G_2067.jpg[/img][/img]
Some people just like stepping on rakes
taureau noir

Post by taureau noir »

To Michael Stogre,here te picture

Taureau noir
---------Chasseurs et Pêcheurs du Québec----
http://chasseursetpecheurs.actifforum.com
[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/momo7132/LOGO/chasseur_pecheur2.jpg[/img]
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

As Boo already stated keeping the string just barley touching the pads makes the difference. On my Vortex I also had to cut down the steel legs that these pads slip over in order to accomplish this as there is not enough adjustment as it comes from the manufacturer. I really think Ecalibur could come up with their own version that would work well and quiet the crossbow.
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

taureau noir wrote:I made an homemade sts with Simm's bow absorber, shot it for over 2 years and no sign of wear.
Taureau noir
I also have this type STS and show no wear. I have less than $10.00 in my setup. Mine are older type round limbsavers.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
ch312

Post by ch312 »

for the homemade ones, would it be better to have 4 limb savers mounted with 2 on each side of the rail?

ive read on a few sites that these things can stress the limbs too much causing damage. any truth to that?