Do you use lock tight oil on any screws on your bow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

chris...oooops.

Post by Cossack »

Blue Loc Tite is intended to come apart, just takes a bit more effort so screws don't normally back out by themselves. Although I noticed that one of the stock screws on my Vortex did loosen a bit even though it was LTded.
Red Loc Tite is SUPPOSED to be permanent. If the screw slot is tight enough on the screw (like Torks) it (can) be overcome. Otherwise it may be difficult. In my gunsmithing work, I've found that one can overcome the red LT with judiciously applied heat. I find a removable screwdriver bit that fits tight into the slot, preferably one that has to be tapped into place. Then heat the bit with a small butane torch. Heat transfers to the screw, thence to the glue, which then softens enough to remove the screw. If that won't work, you'll likely have to drill off the heads, remove the top half of the rings then take a vise grip to the screw stubs that remain.
Cossack

chris...oooops.

Post by Cossack »

Blue Loc Tite is intended to come apart, just takes a bit more effort so screws don't normally back out by themselves. Although I noticed that one of the stock screws on my Vortex did loosen a bit even though it was LTded.
Red Loc Tite is SUPPOSED to be permanent. If the screw slot is tight enough on the screw (like Torks) it (can) be overcome. Otherwise it may be difficult. In my gunsmithing work, I've found that one can overcome the red LT with judiciously applied heat. I find a removable screwdriver bit that fits tight into the slot, preferably one that has to be tapped into place. Then heat the bit with a small butane torch. Heat transfers to the screw, thence to the glue, which then softens enough to remove the screw. If that won't work, you'll likely have to drill off the heads, remove the top half of the rings then take a vise grip to the screw stubs that remain.
Real McCoy

Post by Real McCoy »

VixChix

I got so caught up in becoming a member of such and elite forum that I forgot my manners. My daddy taught me better than to offend a lady, even one that might have PMS. So please accept my humble apology. (bowing from waist while sweeping hat in front of me) :D
Southern Born and Bred
Exomax
Varizone
Groundpounder

A man who is good enough to shed his blood
for his country is good enough to be given a
square deal afterwards - Teddy Roosevelt
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Treat here like a girly girl and you will wish she had PMS.. :wink: :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
stoop14

Post by stoop14 »

Pydpiper wrote:Treat here like a girly girl and you will wish she had PMS.. :wink: :D
lol
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
(hoping a boo string in the new year)
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Real McCoy wrote:VixChix

I got so caught up in becoming a member of such and elite forum that I forgot my manners. My daddy taught me better than to offend a lady, even one that might have PMS. So please accept my humble apology. (bowing from waist while sweeping hat in front of me) :D
I hope you know I was joking around! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It would take a whole lot more than that to offend me (or most of the women I know).

(And yeah, Pyd might just have a point... :lol: :lol: )

Glad to see you've got a good sense of humour - you fit right in here! :D :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.