EXOMAX speed reduction testing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ch312

EXOMAX speed reduction testing

Post by ch312 »

finally got around to trying to reduce the speed of my exomax for hunting small game. i used a length of cord tied the same way as they tie release loops for compounds. with the cord tied on the string and pulled tight, the loop decreased the length of draw by about 2 1/2" giving an average speed of 205fps with GT 2's and 125gr screw in rubber blunts. :D

speed ranged from 202-207fps.

i havent got my parachute cord yet so i dont want to shoot it too much as im unsure of the working load of the cord im using. when i get it ill be testing accuracy but dont expect too much of a difference as the cord ill be tying on will be equal on each side of the rail.

any loop larger than 2 1/2" would not allow the bolt to sit in the rail firm enough to stay in place.

any ideas how fast the bolt will need to be travelling to kill a squirell or rabbit at 30 yards?
Last edited by ch312 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

That's interesting testing you are doing. How does reduced velocity affect point of impact?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
ch312

Re: EXOMAX speed reduction testing

Post by ch312 »

havent tested that out yet :wink:
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Interesting ....
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Why slow it down... Just went out back and shot 4 tree rats with Vortex and field points 3 at 20 yds and 1 at 30... Stuck them to the ground ... This bow is sweet.. Taking it on its 1st deer hunt this weekend...
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Bambiblaster wrote:...................Stuck them to the ground ........

Try shooting with an ExoMax, and shooting at a squirrel up in a tree. That bolt will do a pass through and then carry on for maybe a hundred yards or more. Good luck finding it!! :D :D :D
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Bambiblaster wrote:Why slow it down... Just went out back and shot 4 tree rats with Vortex and field points 3 at 20 yds and 1 at 30... Stuck them to the ground ... This bow is sweet.. Taking it on its 1st deer hunt this weekend...
the last squirrel i nailed with a judo point took 15 minutes of digging with my knife to get the judo point out of the tree :wink:

with the reduced speed, ill be able to shoot small game with judo points or blunts without turning the critters into mush, burying the bolt into a tree, or bury bolts (as bad).

its costing about 10 cents in material so im not out too much if it doesnt work :D
terrym

Post by terrym »

Instead of tieing on a loop could you not use a longer string maybe?
wabi

Post by wabi »

terrym wrote:Instead of tieing on a loop could you not use a longer string maybe?
Wouldn't work. The string has to stop the limbs forward travel, and a longer string would be like breaking a string - stress the limbs & trash the DBs.
The loop sounds interesting, though.
wabi
Normous

Post by Normous »

Now I know why you wanted that parachute cord :idea: It will probably take a bit of tinkering and tying to get it to work consistantly. Your the first, I think, with this idea. So far I have not read anything here in that regards. Keep us updated.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ch312

Post by ch312 »

terrym wrote:Instead of tieing on a loop could you not use a longer string maybe?
i was thinking that the longer string would cause too much slack and come off the limbs somehow. plus i dont have the stuff to make strings so thats outta the question. :lol:

i finally got a hold of some parachute cord (550lb test) so ill be at her again tomorrow.
terrym

Post by terrym »

wabi wrote:
Wouldn't work. The string has to stop the limbs forward travel, and a longer string would be like breaking a string - stress the limbs & trash the DBs.
The loop sounds interesting, though.
Gotcha. Maybe Excalibur should look into offering lower poundage limbs for this type of application?
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

i think they do
Stash

Post by Stash »

Curious that people have 10 different guns for different game, but try to use the same crossbow for everything from moose to squirrels... They'll own half a dozen assorted rifles for 2 weeks of gun season, but one crossbow for 3 months of archery hunting

Do you also try to reload your .300 winmag cartridges with about 1/4 of the load to shoot rabbits? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family