cocked equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

schonyuk

cocked equinox

Post by schonyuk »

How long can my 225lb Equinox stay cocked without any damage being done to it. I may cock it when I get to my shoot but if nothing appears all day it wont be decocked till the days end. Will this harm it at all?
Thanks
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

No it will be just fine!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
dutchhunter

cooked

Post by dutchhunter »

i have ;left mine coocked for 5 days on time maby not recomended but no harm came of it thy are tough DUTCH
schonyuk

Cocked Equinox

Post by schonyuk »

5 days, that is something else. Yes they are tough
Alan
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

why not just decock it after your morning hunt? It only takes a whole 3 seconds to get the string aid out

I was actaully afraid to decock mine untill I figured it was so simple :P

I always decock mie after the morning hunt, then after the afternoon hunt also
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

When I can't get out to shoot a new string in to position I leave mine cocked for a couple days at a time to work out the creep.
I did do the whole "heat" thing once, left my bow in the case at Boo's cottage, went in and completely forgot about my bow in the black plastic case on the deck, in the sun.
String was dead, gained a couple inches in length. :D
Bow was fine, the only way I had to check was to shoot it over a chrony, it gave me the exact same 300 FPS it did before I left it in the oven for 5 hours, with a new string of course.
You can not wreck the limbs.

At the end of the season I always think I should destring it, but as soon as I do it sits in the back of my mind that my bow isn't ready to shoot and I rush back down to string it.
Truth is, the only good destringing the bow will do is on the string it's self, I can see the string benefiting from the relaxation more than the limbs.
Now that my wife is hunting I cock the bow the night before she leaves so she doesn't have to disturb me or anyone else in the house when it comes time to cock it, heaven forbid she ever needs to do a follow-up shot out there. I figure by the end of Saturdays shoot she will be a pro at it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Pydpiper wrote:Now that my wife is hunting I cock the bow the night before she leaves so she doesn't have to disturb me or anyone else in the house when it comes time to cock it, heaven forbid she ever needs to do a follow-up shot out there. I figure by the end of Saturdays shoot she will be a pro at it.
You mean you didn't buy her a Vixen this Christmas??!?!??!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.