The Warthog Sharpener

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

The Warthog Sharpener

Post by Mike P »

Saxman asked me if I had any tips on using the Wathog sharpener and I thought I would share the only tip I have with him and any others out there that have this wonderful piece of equipment.

It involves setting the V. Here is a video that shows you how to do that.

http://www.warthogsharp.com/video_play. ... etthev.swf

The only tip I have is marking the bottom of the sharpener with an R and a L to signify what hand you should be using dependent upon if you set the sharpener up to use right or left handed. If you turn the device 180 degrees, it affectively changes from right to left, or left to right dependent upon how you set it up.

If you mark the bottom you always get it right and make it a no brainer and you never start to sharpen the blade with the incorrect bevel by using the sharpener from the wrong side. Here are a couple of pictures of mine to show you what I mean.

Other then that, a six year old can use this thing and put an edge on a knife that is absolutely perfect and sharp as a razor. The other thing I love is you can always get parts for the product and repair if necessary.

I have never heard one person have anything but glowing terms for this product after they purchased one.

I rarely endorse anything because I know some folks will always have different opinions then I and I do not want the blame if they feel differently about the product versus my opinion. But this thing is just so outstanding that I give it the Mike P seal of approval without hesitation.

Even my wife loves the Warthog. Every knife in our spam is sharp as can be and she uses the product on a daily basis.

Hope the tip helps.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Thanks Mike
Like I said in my PM,I got the Outfitters Package for Christmas with the extra 600 & 1000 grit rods.
WOW!!!
This thing works.
I have dozens of sharpeners that don't
I second the seal of approval
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Curdog

Warthog

Post by Curdog »

Hey Mike and Sax, I got one of those for Christmas, mine came with the granite base, and the steels, got to get my base attached and try it out, they say that they work great, Curdog.
saxman

Post by saxman »

They do work great.
I went to the hardware store and got 2 trigger clamps for mine so I can take it with me and clamp it down just about anywhere.

Like Mike P said.
Set the V and keep your blade aginst the side.
Scarey sharp.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

How big is that? There is nothing in the picture to get a reference on size, looks like an Axe sharpener.
I will try one if it does normal size knives, I have a few "good" sharpeners that seem to do me more harm than good. My latest was the G5, works great on broadheads but after a year or so of use I see it is starting to damage my daily blades, likely user error I am sure.

Mike, possible to post a picture with something to get an idea of how big that thing is? Pop can or something?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Piper, if you click the link in my post you will see the size in the demo as you are able to use the demonstrators hands to give you the scale.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Like you Sax, I have more knife sharpeners that don't work than I know what to do with. I have hunted and fished my entire life and have never been able to sharpen a knife. If this thing really works I would gladly pay the price for one.

Rich
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Rich, they work, it is that simple.

I was in Florida when I first saw this thing. We were hunting hogs and had killed twenty-seven of them amongst the four of us. The property owner knew a guy who was a butcher at Kroger who moonlighted butchering pigs and cows on the side.

He and his son came over to the walk in cooler the land owner had and butchered everyone of those pigs for us at twenty-five bucks per pig. He even ground the meat and made sausage right there on the spot if you wanted some in that fashion.

I watched him work and he would use a new knife every time he started on a pig. He would hand the used knife to his son and his son would give the used knife like eight to ten strokes on the warthog. We all felt the blade of the now sharpened knife and it was like a razor. We asked if it was hard to do and the kid told us anyone could use it and get the same results. Well, suffice it to say the kid didn't sharpen another knife that day, we all took turns doing it. And everyone of us easily duplicated the razor edge on the knife every time.

All four of us ordered Warthogs when we got home.

I gave away all my other sharpeners.

None of us has ever looked back.

There are very few things in your life that you buy that you can honestly say "this is one of the best things I have ever purchased in my life." I consider both my Excalibur bows to be on this short list. My Porsche is on this list.

And so is my Warthog.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Mike P wrote:Piper, if you click the link in my post you will see the size in the demo as you are able to use the demonstrators hands to give you the scale.
That brought things into perspective, didn't even see that link.
I am sold on your referral alone, which model do you recommend? I also see there are different grits available..
Which is the kit is the best for an average guy?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Rich

Post by Rich »

Thanks Mike for the follow-up response. I will be ordering one soon.

Rich
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Pydpiper wrote: which model do you recommend? I also see there are different grits available..
Which is the kit is the best for an average guy?
I just have the black one with the 325 grit.

If I had to do it over again I would probably go the route sax did and get the outfitters package.

But trust me, the avg guy will be most satisfied with the basic model like I have.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Mike P while watching the vid on how it works (Thank You) it sure sounded loud whilst in use :shock: must be some strong springs.. any blood blisters as yet from a finger pinch :?:

Ya I know :roll: keep ones fingers out of the way eh!!

Looks like a good investment fer sure!!
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Scott, are you getting any use out of the two hand tools yet? :?:
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Thanks to Mike P, my wife got me one as a gift a year ago. It's great. I had knives I thought were useless . . .after dragging them across the Warthog, I found out they are actually good knives in need of a good sharpener.

Thanks again Mike P.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I'm a sucker for knife sharpening equipment, so what the heck, what's wrong with having one more?

I do have a few questions, though.

1. How easy is it to change over from one grit to another?

2. How close to the hilt can you get when sharpening?

3. How well does the tip get sharpened?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.