Best Rangefinder?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

michiganman

nikon

Post by michiganman »

waiting to hear back from my brother.he had the nikon .i know it had the scan,but not sure if you had to hold button down.also some units are one eye only,so if your mounting it on the xbow,you would need to check it out.

bill from excalibur shot that big buck in ohio with one mounted,im sure it mast have the scan feature.??????
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Rich

Post by Rich »

As Brad said, if using the Excalibur Rangefinder mount, you will want a rangefinder that sits horizontal. Most of the Nikons and Leupolds are palm sized models that sit vertically in your palm. They would work on the mount but are your readings would be sideways. The Bushnells would work best with the mount I believe. I think all models that scan require constant pushing of the button to work.

Rich
ch312

Post by ch312 »

you could likely take the unit apart and wire a toggle switch to replace the factory button switch on the rangefinder. once you see a deer coming just flip the switch and range the deer as its walking towards you.

ill let someone else try that one...unless someone wants to send me one of theirs :lol:
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

[quote="Bowster"]I've been searching for some time for the Riflehunter in Canada.

To order from Cabelas incurs an extra $100 US in duty and shipping.

Even to search for the product specs is quite difficult as Nikon Canada site doesn't even list this product.

Does the Riflehunter have the scan mode?

I like the simplicity of this rangefinder but the scan mode is a feature I would prefer.[/quote]

cabela's has a website in canada not sure if they have that model though

http://www.cabelas.ca/
michiganman

canada

Post by michiganman »

you might need to have one of us buy it here in usa and ship it to you.would they charge customs if shipped as a gift.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
michiganman

leupold

Post by michiganman »

this has it all,like binoculars,but pricy at 399 walmart carries these too

The RX-III gives both rifle and bow hunters the advantages of 8x magnification, precise ranging out to 1,200 yards, true ballistic range and the Match 13 reticle system. Plus, it includes many more useful features, like a thermometer and waterproofing.

Leupold RX-III 8x Rangefinder:

Fully armored
Waterproof
8x magnification
Max range: 1,200 yards
Match 13 reticle system
Thermometer
Measures in yards, meters, and feet
Scan mode
Weatherproof
Multi-coated lens system
True ballistic range
1st target mode
Last target mode
Rain mode
Illuminated backlit display
Color: black
2 year warranty
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

My Leica LRF 1200 has scan mode. It works alot better than both of the Bushnells I used to have.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
michiganman

states

Post by michiganman »

would they charge you duty taxes if we bought it here in usa and sent it over as a gift?????
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Big John

b

Post by Big John »

Yes they will still charge the same. :evil: They don't consider them as gifts anymore for duty purposes. Unless it is going to family member from family member.
Last edited by Big John on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Bill,

Here is an inexpensive method of rangefinding for bowhunting that I posted previously. It works great for ranging deer. If you would like help building one for yourself, pm me.

-M

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... angefinder
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

I just purchased the Bushnell Scout (700 yards) from Lebaron's in Ottawa for $194.00 plus tax.

It's a web special that has been going on for some time, however they are normally all sold out.

They just received another shipment and likely have a half dozen or so left.

Mountain Man
Fred

Post by Fred »

I have a Bushnell 450 and it won't read through Ground blind screen got a Bush. 1500 and it does the first test was in a snow storm and it cut through screen and blowing snow I was impressed while it is a little expensive it does run on the 9v batt and I believe has a scan mode
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use the 450, I dug in to it and added a remote pressure switch. The switch is attached by Velcro to the bow, it has three attachment points depending on how I am hunting that day.
I also use the rangefinder mount on my varmint rifles, at times.
The 450 doesn't scan.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

My set-up is similar to Pydpipers. I purchased my xbow from Rage-o-holic this past year and he put a preassure switch to the safety. Works good but I like Pyds a little better. The wire coming down to the safety is stiff and sometimes puts safety on when you don't want it on :( . But over all good set-up and easy to take off and put on.
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
watamach

Maybe not the best but for value you cant beat it.

Post by watamach »

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0297543376

Bushnell yardage pro rangefinder (mossy oak breakup)

I bought this one from Ebay and it has worked awesome for me. Its not top of the line but it is small, easy to use and was sent to me to Canada for under $200. You cant beat it. It does not have arc for treestands but with a little practice shooting from a stand you get used to the allowances you need to make.

Keep an eye on ebay for this seller. He comes in waves with this product but its worth it if he has more.