Palmated Buck – Monday Evening Update

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Palmated Buck – Monday Evening Update

Post by Mike P »

I have been watching him! He has settled back into his very early season pattern. He is using the same stand of Cedars for his bed that he used in September and is spending the majority of his time there. The cedars are located on a saddle with steep drops on both sides to flowing creeks. He has been using the creek for his water and crosses the creek in the morning returning to the cedars. I have no chance of getting within thirty yards of him during this return to bedding.

My best chances are when he departs the cedars in late afternoon and heads back to the creek before climbing the opposite hillside heading to the picked bean field and the clover field. I think this is the only time he is vulnerable.

He arrives at the fields after dark. But he leaves the cedars with ten to fifteen minutes of legal shooting time and makes the trek very slowly and cautiously. Somehow I have to figure out how to get down the one hillside and cross the creek and set up on him half way up the hill to the saddle without him hearing me.

It is the forth quarter and time is running out. I am really feeling the pressure now and wish I had never started this quest. I could have been enjoying more time in the house with the Swede instead of making this daily commute to the farm. But I feel compelled to try and finish what I started. I think I owe you guys that much.

I am most certain this will be my last hurrah. If he busts me setting up the game will be over. The odds are in his favor. The one good thing I have going for me is the wind generally goes down the hill to the creek so I don't think he is going to scent me.

As I only have one shot at this hunt I do not know yet what day I will try this. Everything has to be perfect or I will not attempt it. We have freezing rain moving in Tuesday and Wednesday so that may push the hunt back to Thursday at the earliest.

And last, will someone next year remind me not to do this again. If I start talking about a particular buck I would like to kill next season please talk some sense into me. I do not fear failure. But setting my sights on one animal may not be the best thing to do in a public forum. I could have killed some nice bucks this year but held off. And I think the fact that I announced here at the forum what my plans were had a lot to do with the decision not to shoot one of those bucks.

This year however my intentions were cast in stone. And I have taken you with me this far so we might as well continue the battle and go after him one last time. Victory or defeat will come this week.

And regardless of the outcome, I will be very happy for it to end.
Last edited by Mike P on Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikew

Post by mikew »

Mike, Mike, Mike...

While I have enjoyed your posts immensely regarding the Palmated Buck, don't think for a second that I'd think any less of you if you shot "some other buck"!

You sir, owe me NOTHING in regards to which animal you pursue & how you do it.

With that said, since you've made this a true quest I'll give you a virtual gold star when you do get him! :D :lol:

Thanks for the ride,
-Mike
subneural

Post by subneural »

I truly believe one must focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it. (Not my words, they come from Greg Anderson, but contribute a lot to my personal philosophy). As mikew has already stated, you owe us nothing with regards to Mr. Palmated Buck, and I wish you success in your quest!

-Marc
Boo-strung, GroundPounded and Varizoned Phoenix, sold.
PSE Brute X pushing Easton Flatlines topped with Rage 3-blades.
8up

Post by 8up »

Have you considered hand grenades? :) No matter what Mike we have enjoyed you writing Thanks.
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

True success is not measured by the harvest at hand. but by the pursuit of the game hunted! like said before. anyway just go hunt the dang thang and get him.
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

you do have a way with words mr mike. and like the other have said you owe us nothing i really enjoy reading your post. just remember if you dont get him get out thier after the season and look for those sheds.
excalibur phoenix
lumi-zone
sts system
acu draw 50
custom string by boo
groundpounders mount
cas custom bolts
100gr slick tricks
excalibur shooter for life
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I could have killed some nice bucks this year but held off
Of course you did. I don't doubt that for a minute! I can just picture you in my mind [small screen] sitting in your stand and having a NICE buck you didn't see before stroll by. He may have the rack and certainly the meat but your best part would be missing. You would just be shooting a trespasser.

The challenge. That's what it's all about for you, my friend. When this one is resolved, you'll find another. You'll have a whole year to tease yourself into another pinnacle of a frenzy. All the time, work, pain, suffering will have become moot.

I'm rooting for you. I want to see the pics of this animal that has driven a sensible man to his very limits.

I don't even want to think about the point value you will place on him if you have to chase him again next year.

Get him.
"Eze 18:21"
FredBear

Re: Palmated Buck – I Attack This Week

Post by FredBear »

Mike P wrote: And last, will someone next year remind me not to do this again. If I start talking about a particular buck I would like to kill next season please talk some sense into me.
:lol: NOONES going to talk you out of that Mike! That's half of the fun going one on one. The feeling you get when you let one walk that noone else would. When you think of that feeling you get when you "paint" a mature deer. It makes it all better. I always target one deer, but I have a hit list of three bucks I will shoot at the beginning of the year. My list is down to two this January. There is also the trump card of the mystery buck that goes all time book. He enters the list if he enters my zone! If you went out and shot the first nice buck you seen. I think you would regret it much more than playing the game with one buck all year long. :D Good luck Mike your a week ahead of me. Im still watching right now. Next week its a go. Win, lose, or draw I have a feeling you have enjoyed it as much as the rest of us!
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I personally have never had the pleasure of this type of chess match with a deer but a turkey frustrated me last spring,boy did he taste good thanksgiving:lol:anyway good luck even though we know luck will play no role in his demise :wink:
The best things in life are not things!!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am on the edge of my seat!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D My best wishes for your pursuit of the now infamous Palmated buck :D
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Best of Luck Mike. However your Hunt turns out, We know You gave it Your All. :wink:
Grizzly Adam

Re: Palmated Buck – I Attack This Week

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote: This year however my intentions were cast in stone. And regardless of the outcome, I will be very happy for it to end.
Well now, my friend, it's just like my dear old Pap used to say: "You bit it off ... now you'll have to chew it." :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

Laughing with you, of course (at least, I hope you can still laugh about it)! 8)

As for me, buddy, you could post a pic of a spike on here and say that you'd decided to kill it instead, and that'd be fine with me!

Kill what you want! Don't make a job out of it! :shock:

Now ... might as well go git 'im! :P :P
Grizz
mikej

Post by mikej »

go on and get him mike i enjoy reading about him but i would rather see pictures :lol: :lol:
huntman

Post by huntman »

Go get him Mike! I am going to pop some popcorn and get ready for the action!