Palmated Buck – Monday Evening Update

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Palmated Buck – Monday Evening Update

Post by Mike P »

Grizzly Adam wrote: You bit it off ... now you'll have to chew it."
Yep, that's about the size of it grizz. I should have kept my big mouth shut!

Now for the update.

I am dashing this post off from the farm house before I jump in the truck and head for home. It is 6:30 PM here on Monday.

He did the same thing today. I was watching with the binoculars from the top of the hill that leads to the cut bean field. He came out of the cedars right on schedule and ambled slowly down to the creek and drank. He then started up the other side on a trail that leads to the clover. As soon as he started up the hill I backed out slowly and took the bean field in the direction away from where he would enter the clover. I wanted to be well out of there before he crested the top.

I will set up on him about fiffty yards up the hill above the creek on the trail he uses. I have scanned all the trees in that area and there looks to be a tall and straight Ash tree that might fit the bill. It is approximately thirty yards off the trail and from what I can tell looking through the lenses there should be no need to clear anything. I will not have that luxury. Noise will undo me if I am not careful. I must arrive there and climb very quietly.

I will not come back here until I hunt him. I will not watch him anymore. It just may be superstition on my part but somehow I think these old ones know when they are being watched.

The weather will dictate what day this is going to happen. We have moisture headed our way and I will not hunt him if there is any chance for a washed out blood trail. The next two days do not look to be the best. But Thursday and Friday are looking pretty good, cold but clear.

The next time you see Palmated in the title of my post you will know the hunt is over. I will tell you how it went down, be it successful or be it a bust.

It has been a long season. I have dogged this animal since September. Having it come down to one day like this somehow seems fair to me.

Thanks to all of you for the well wishes.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Your update is a cliffhanger! :lol:

Best of luck this week! We'll be waiting here on pins & needles for your next posts.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
opossum

Post by opossum »

Good luck.If you don't get him this year he should be bigger next year.
mikew

Post by mikew »

VixChix wrote:Your update is a cliffhanger! :lol:

Best of luck this week! We'll be waiting here on pins & needles for your next posts.
Well said Vix!!

-Mike
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

You have no idea how exciting this is to me! Most times I hear stories and I have a story of my own that I can relate it to. I have never had a situation quite like this. Its as if you just called "checkmate"! I'll suggest one thing to you Mike. Double check all the things that can go wrong that you have control over. Ex: String, bolt all the way in, tight broadhead, all the things that you can prevent! This seems like the time that if you allow something else to go wrong it will. I have total faith that I will get to see those massive H measurement before the week ends! Good Luck Mike![/quote]
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Good luck mike, can't wait to see how this plays out.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

mike no matter how this ends you have nothing to be ashamed of this goal you set fer yourself, win or lose it's how you played the game....and sir you have played your best againest one of the best around you....enjoy the time you have spent in the woods with him and be satisfied as one can be in your shoes....my respect goes out to you and anyone who takes on such an endeaver as you have done....i wish i had just one chance at a hunt like you have had this year....now go and finish this and post a picture of this magnificent animal :wink: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Good luck mike.
I am not in the antler addiction stage but I'm glad you are.
I love the stories.

Good luck
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

goodluck Mike.... im sure you are aware, but I see where you mentioned the wind blows down the hillside away from him. He's probably not gonna venture out untill after dark on those winds which are ideal for you, but deadly for him. Im sure the days the wind blows right towards him, he's up and moving before dark

goodluck again man
stoop14

Post by stoop14 »

good luck, and may the wind be in your face :lol:
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
(hoping a boo string in the new year)
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

I would give a weeks pay to be with you when you make this hunt.

I cant wait to hear how this turns out.
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Good luck .... man I wish I could drive down and get a photo journal of that harvest !

Looking forward to a happy outcome ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "