What worked, what didn't, what you would change

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

just a feed boy

What worked, what didn't, what you would change

Post by just a feed boy »

Just wanted to start a post for what worked, what didn't and what you would change for next season. If there is some gear that you loved I'd like to hear from you. I've got a basement full of gear that didn't.

If there is some tactics you used this would be a get place to share them.
Straightshooter

Post by Straightshooter »

I also have the basement full, And i have learned a good lesson. I shouldn't of wasted my money. Use the wind. I've walked up to deer 10yds and shot it with a smoke in my mouth. But i would say my gun and treestand are the most important also good scouting.I think i spend more time in the bush scouting than hunting.Every year i go back to basic hunting and it has worked for the last 12 yrs. I don't believe in those gimmics (scent lock clothing,etc).
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

was my first year using a blind for rifle season. got to connect twice because of it :D ..
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
Fox

Post by Fox »

Make time to hunt, but in 3rd year college I guess that has to wait until next season.

I am going to get off the ground more, scared of heights but I need to do it.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

primos hands free adjustable grunt ..Its small and very easy to use. Ive bleeted many doe and bucks into shooting range with it. Its the best grunt bleet call Ive found. I look for them on clearance and buy them up..I loose em every now and again..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Used the same old (3rd season with it) Phoenix with the same old tactics (tree stands and ground blinds) and filled the freezer with venison.

I did try a new broadhead - Wac'Em Exit (4 blade replacement blade type broadhead) and I was impressed with the results from my Phoenix. Groups with field points and does a great job on deer.

I also changed my scope (the TenPoint scope failed and cost me a deer) to an Excalibur Vari-Zone, but I sighted the crosshair for 25 yards. (this puts the range marks on at 15 - 35 - 45 - 55 yards)
It allows me to forget the range marks and just hold dead-on with the crosshair at any deer within 30 yards and still easily be in the kill zone. If I have time to range the deer I can be more precise with the shot, but if not all I have to do is hold for the center of the vitals and it's still going to be a lethal shot.
Deer #1 was 15 yards and I knew the range, so I used the 15 yard mark and hit exactly where I wanted. Deer #2 was inside 30 yards but was walking and I didn't know the exact yardage. I gave her a "baaaaa" to stop her and held in the center of the heart/lung area. She was actually closer than I would have guessed, but I still took out both lungs and she went down quickly.
wabi
huntman

Post by huntman »

unclefester wrote:No impressed with "the buck bomb".

Ken.
Ditto!! Spent a ton of money on alot of cans because i knew finding it would be tough. I had one encounter with a nice buck, while using it but can be 100% sure it was the bomb that brought him out!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i have and tried Primo's Buck & Doe grunts and the big can. none of them brought in the 1st deer. so thats was wasted money. i don't use scents of any kind quit that years ago. bought a summit viper ss. the cable coating separated on 2nd use. its noisy on cold calm morning hooking up to the tree. it takes 2 or 3 times to adjust the upper and lower sections so i am comfortable with legs and feet. that takes 10 or 12 min. could adjust the safety rope that holds the sections so the bottom doesn't slide down the tree on you. then it limits the space of going up and down the tree which means longer amount of time.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
mikej

Post by mikej »

i had great experiences with the buck bomb. i only used it twice and saw bucks both times the problem is it brought them in too close and i couldn't get my bow up. both of them busted my movement when i went to raise my phoenix
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

mikej wrote:i had great experiences with the buck bomb. i only used it twice and saw bucks both times the problem is it brought them in too close and i couldn't get my bow up. both of them busted my movement when i went to raise my phoenix
same here... ones getting mounted and one's on a board mount because of them :P I will say, dont waste your time using them if you are on flat ground or if the temps are below 40 degrees. You must be in a good bottom and have temps of 40-55degrees to see prime results.. of coarse it depends on what scent you use and WHEN... note the "WHEN" you use them :D

but last year a 10pt walke din and he's on the wall.. this year a good 9 came in and he's beside him on the buck bomb wall :lol:

I didnt have anything that didnt work well this year.. probably because ive tried every gadget made in the past 15 years and wised up on spending cash :P
mikej

Post by mikej »

crazyfarmer wrote:
mikej wrote:i had great experiences with the buck bomb. i only used it twice and saw bucks both times the problem is it brought them in too close and i couldn't get my bow up. both of them busted my movement when i went to raise my phoenix
same here... ones getting mounted and one's on a board mount because of them :P I will say, dont waste your time using them if you are on flat ground or if the temps are below 40 degrees. You must be in a good bottom and have temps of 40-55degrees to see prime results.. of coarse it depends on what scent you use and WHEN... note the "WHEN" you use them :D

but last year a 10pt walke din and he's on the wall.. this year a good 9 came in and he's beside him on the buck bomb wall :lol:

I didnt have anything that didnt work well this year.. probably because ive tried every gadget made in the past 15 years and wised up on spending cash :P
that's what my problem was. i was on the ground one 8 point actually came in to about 20 feet out of some thick stuff i was trying to use for cover. my only regret with the buck bomb is that i didn't try it earlier in the season
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

[quote="mikej"

that's what my problem was. i was on the ground one 8 point actually came in to about 20 feet out of some thick stuff i was trying to use for cover. my only regret with the buck bomb is that i didn't try it earlier in the season[/quote]

LOL.. granted its not magic and doesnt work everytime out. I use the whole can also which gets that great coverage, just make sure it doesnt cover you 8)

I used about 12 cans this year and all but maybe 3 cans I had deer come right to it. Mainly smaller bucks like spikes and 4pts, but like any scent, it works sometimes and other times it doesnt

helps to buy a case and divide between 5-6 people.. then it costs only 5bucks a can :P
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

As for gear, I love the new Primos Squeeze 'n' Bleat Can. It lets me regulate the volume and length of the bleat. I pulled in some nice does with it. I attached a shoelace to the can with a few wraps of electrical tape. That way I can tie the call to my thigh and when I'm sitting in my stand/blind, all I have to do is reach over and squeeze the call; very little motion.

After 3 seasons of using the same tree, I've concluded that I have to move my stand about 15 yards north; that's where most of the deer move through. I've also concluded that I'm going to build a ground blind for late season use; its just too hard being up in the air in a cold December wind.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Rich

Post by Rich »

1. I switched from my API Grand Slam treestand to the Summit 180. The Summit is more comfortatable and much more room, but I don't like how you have to weave the seat through the platfrm rungs to pack it. The plastic coating on the cables is crap also. I bought a set of the gun holders but find the get in the way more than I use them. They are big and bulky and the mounting bracket hits you in the side and arm.

2. Also switched to Muzzy 4 blades this year, I consider them a disposible broadhead, highly effective but blades are bent and useless after one kill.

3. Not much on scents and lures, but I do use a local VA product by BTD Outdoors. I have used their cover scent for 2 years now and have seen more deer and more deer downwind of me then ever before. It smells like a combo of vanilla and liquid smoke.

4. Bass Pro rubber boots are crap, I go through at least a pair each season. I only get them when they are on sale to justify buying them.

Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Rich wrote:
3. Not much on scents and lures, but I do use a local VA product by BTD Outdoors. I have used their cover scent for 2 years now and have seen more deer and more deer downwind of me then ever before. It smells like a combo of vanilla and liquid smoke.

4. Bass Pro rubber boots are crap, I go through at least a pair each season. I only get them when they are on sale to justify buying them.

Rich
Ive wanted to try some of their stuff.. where did you get yours rich?

bass pro basic boots are crap.. just a cheap boot which is good for slipping on to feed the dog outside when its raining. Try some of the Lacrosse Alpha burlys if you havent Rich.. everyone likes different types, but these are the best fitting and lightest boots I could find. I walk ALOT, and these were perfect, just like a tennis shoe almost. I still wear out every pair of boots I get after a good season. The insides always wear around the heel from walking to much.

one thing that was killer for me this year was using the rattlebag... just a light rattle for 15 seconds(enough to spark interest). The can call was also like gold during the rut as always.

oh and not to mention, the new cowwacker bolt line was a grand slam this season also :P