Any Weatherby rifle fans here?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Any Weatherby rifle fans here?

Post by Pydpiper »

I am looking in to a new gun, had a chance to hold a beautiful Weatherby in a .270 in London. It was a stainless barrel with a laminate stock, one of the nicest looking rifles I have seen.
What is their reputation like? It was priced between a Sako and a Tikka but looked much nicer than either in my opinion.
The rifle comes with a target from the factory with 3 test shots through it, I have never heard of that, but seemed like a good idea.
So what is the word on Weatherby as a decent rifle?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Crockett&boon

Post by Crockett&boon »

i owned most guns out their but a weatherby is smother than all with their bolt actions i would pick a weatherby over the other 2
excalibur equinox ,lumizone,groundpounder mount,boo string
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Is it a Vanguard or a Mk V? A 270 Winchester caliber or a 270 Weatherby caliber?

I've owned a 300 Wby Mk V, still own a Wby 340 and a Wby 378. They are a bit overpriced for what you get.

The Vanguard, however, is a VERY good buy for the money, although it does not come in the Weatherby proprietary calibers. For a bit more $$ the Vanguard can be had in a special selection, extra accurate, version. I think it's called the MOA model. The Vanguard is a VERY good rifle, very accurate and reasonably priced.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
mikew

Post by mikew »

I've shot .3" 3 shot 100yd groups from the bench with Weatherby factory ammo from a .300 Weatherby Mag Mark V.
(My beef with it was the weight - NOT something you'd want to lug around the woods very far.)

I strongly suspect the rifle you handled was a Vanguard - I concur with Hi5 - great value.

Weatherby is a great brand, IMHO & you can't go wrong.

I do disagree regarding the Mark V, but it's just a matter of opinion. As a lefty, it's nice to shoot a LH rifle every once in a while. ;-)

-Mike
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I was told several years ago that Weatherby used to be a cut above the likes of Rem or Winchester, however their quality has slipped since they are no longer made "like they used to be". I suppose that's true for most items these days.

Don't get me wrong, they're still a decent firearm, but overpriced for what you get.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Normous

Post by Normous »

My father gave me his 270 Weatherby. Grandfather brought it over from Germany in 69 as a gift. That was when they were still built in Germany. I have taken a bear and one deer with it. Nice caliber. She's a keeper.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ger34

Post by ger34 »

I purchased a Weatherby Vanguard 30.06 in 1988....after a discouraging experience with a beautiful 8pt buck @ 10'...yes...10feet....and a Lee Enfield rifle (safety on the left side of the receiver...you guess what happened)

The very next day i drove to Lovett's on King Street in Kitchener and bought the Vanguard with the black synthetic stock and a 4x-12x Redfield scope to put on it.....

It has a 20" barrel on it....barrel was a little short...or so I thought...for hunting...but the rifle was very light (5.2lbs with the scope on it)...so it was great to carry around all day

"Back in the day" when I was in the army and my physical condition as well as my eyesight was better....that firearm was sweeeeeeet....I have shot more than 20 deer with it at every range from 17' to 438 yds (well...it was 438 paces across a corn field)..I have taken "whistle pigs" at 380yds with it.....it is by far the favorite firearm in my collection

Ok....enough of the accolades...here are a few minor flaws with it...if you can call them flaws

#1 very light.....great for carrying around all day.....but absolutely punishing at the range..after 8-10 rds of 180gr Federal Premium ammo...my groups start to open up....

#2 20" barrel....still very accurate at the extended ranges...and very nice to swing around...but gives you excessive muzzle flip....so you don't always see the animal after you have shot....makes follow up a bit tricky to know whether you hit it or not

#3 fibreglass stock has a baked enamel finish which...at certain points can "chip" off (right underneath the bolt handle and around the front swivel)....I have often thought about getting a wood replica of the fibreglass stock made...but I have shot sooo many "critters" with it...I don't want to jinx it...lol

and #4 which is really not the firearm at all....a 4x-12x scope was not practical on that rifle...I should have went 2x-7x or 3x-9x

Other than that.....unless Weatherby has drastically changed their product....they are a sweet shooting rifle

Buy it if it is in your price bracket.....40yrs from now will it to your son or daughter....and it will still be a great piece of kit

my .02
Summit Viper SS
Exocet 200
Gold Tip Laser II
4" vanes
100gr G5 Montecs
coyote170

Post by coyote170 »

Have a 270 weatherby Vanguard,wood stock got it this Christmas
will sight it in this weekend weather permiting! :D
Happiness:In the woods,crossbow and my dog
headed to the ground blind!