Deer yards

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

saxman

Post by saxman »

Wahts a deer?
Oh Yea,it's those 4 things I killed during archery season and 1 during ML season.
And they have now vacated the state and I cant find them
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
dutchhunter

deer yards

Post by dutchhunter »

we have several yards in are area .the deer gather in large groups to feed and for safty when the snow gets deep i have seen from 10 deer to over 200 deer the biggest winter yard i have ever seen was on west river road in cambridge just outside of town we spent a few days watching them and on a sunny afternoon we seen over 200 deer laying on a south facing slope in the sun it is a pretty neat sight to see that many deer .over buy tillsonburg we have a small yard just outside of town about 25 to 30 deer gather there this year and thy can be seen just before dark making there way to the corn fields to feed .normally you will see large groups of turkeys as well with the deer these are a great place to look for sheds .there is another yard just outside of woodstock on sweaburg road this year i have seen 18 deer so far in that group there was a lot more last year but that yard is growing every day now that the snow is staying .the best place to start to look for a yadr is to locate large swamps with food sources around them DUTCH
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

[quote="OneShot"
We are thankfull that alot of thought was put into providing this for them and we will not divuldge the location nor will we hunt them anywhere near these locations!

Fair chase is fair hunting!

oneshot........[/quote]

I'm thankful too. I've hunted a deer yard sporadically for many years but only found out last fall that it was a yard. It's an area with a lot of pressure during the rifle hunt. It's actually not a very productive area at all and the pressure in the fall apparently has no affect on the yarding in the winter. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

There's another deer feeding station / yard that is just off the main road and clearly posted. I've never seen any hunters around there. But I really haven't been looking for them either. I don't hunt that area.
dutchhunter

yards

Post by dutchhunter »

in most areas the season is long closed before the deer start to yard up here in southern ont and that is a good thing mostly i think it is the deep snow that brings them toghether it sure is nice to see how mant deer made it through the season DUTCH
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

This is one of the properties I hunt, the same one where I made the movie I posted on another thread. You'll see yarding deer (and turkeys)

http://web.me.com/mastersuntzuca/Site/Photos.html
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
MPSNIPER

Post by MPSNIPER »

Dutch, you mentioned that most areas have closed their season before the deer yard up - that's been true in the past, but this year and last with early significant snowfall I know there is some controversy in WMU61. There is a ML season in December. I know of a camp right in the deer yard area that dropped a pick up load of corn 50' away from their camp and had 8 deer down by afternoon the 1st day.
Personally I DO NOT CALL THAT HUNTING. I believe in a fair chase and hate to see a slaughter just because they legally can.
I don't like to be governed by anymore rules than necessary, but by God someone needs to wake up on the late season "hunt".
"like a hound...he hunts in his dreams"
dutchhunter

well

Post by dutchhunter »

maby but there is a reason thy were giving out so many tags this year .not saying i agree with baiting but in some areas the numbers are realy high thy are the ones that have to sleep at night DUTCH
spitfire125

Post by spitfire125 »

ya i drive to and from woodstock on highway 59 south . So i get to see the Seaburg swap yard a couple of times a week. Like you said its growin every day. By late feb early march their should be 50 to 60 deer there.
fletch

Post by fletch »

Hey Maple there is a deer yard in the Larose forest I have seen appr. 45 deer there in one small zone. Not near the numbers that others have seen but closest that I know of in east ont. There are signs in the area to ensure that they are not bothered by motorised vehicles so walking in that zone is limited to pedestrian type traffic only.
Exomax w/ Lumizone
custom Boo string w/silencers
GT II's w/r helical 4 deg offset
Slik Triks and Lumenoks