Palmated Buck Hit---RECOVERED!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Palmated Buck Hit---RECOVERED!!!

Post by Mike P »

It is now 6:00 PM on Sunday evening and I am home. The good news, we found him around 2:00 this afternoon. The bad news, the coyotes found him Saturday night. It was not a pretty sight.

He has been checked in at the check station and I dropped him off about an hour ago at the taxidermist. I have pictures but they are pretty gruesome. My taxidermist said he would skin what is left and see if there is enough for a mount. A European mount is always a possibility but I really don't want to go that route. He told me that he would have the rack cleaned up for me on Tuesday and that I could take it with me for pictures and measurements.

I am exhausted. I will pick up the rack Tuesday and will try to put together everything that happened and post it here with pictures and measurements of the rack. I just cannot do anything tonight but have a drink, catch up with the Swede and get some long needed sleep.

This was not an ideal end to this quest, but it was an end, and for that I am thankful.

I am also thankful for all the good wishes and encouragement from all of you here on the forum.

Mike P

It is 8:45 Sunday morning. Six of us put in nine hours yesterday looking for the buck. The weather killed us! If I had to do it all over again I would have pushed him Friday night. But we all have 20/20 hind sight.

Becker just called from his cell phone and he will be landing the helicopter here at the farm around 9:15. The weather will be much better today for out search.

I spent a long lonely night by myself here at the farm last night. I have not had much sleep in the last 36 hours. I know this buck is dead. The shot was high, but I am very certain it was fatal.

I am also certain I will find him. The two adjoing farms are mounting search teams this morning and it just warms my heart that they would make this effort on a Sunday when they could be hunting or home with their families.

I just got off the phone with the Swede. She gave me a lot of encouragement and an ultimatim. She said "Don't come home without him."

And I won't.

I will stay here until I have him.

It is 9:00 AM on Saturday mornig. We are gathered at the farm house and will soon go out to try and find the buck. I will give all the details later and tell you about how this all went down.

I hit him last night right before dark. I put the arrow where I wanted but he jumped (crouched) the string and I hit him high. I had arrow, blood and hair.

Didn't want to press him last night and now it is raining!

Worst of all situations.

If needed and the weather clears we will use the helicopter to find him.

I WILL RECOVER THIS BUCK!
Last edited by Mike P on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Good luck mike.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Excellent news!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Rich

Post by Rich »

Best of luck on the recovery Mike, never heard of using a helicopter for a tracking job though. :D . You've had us involved with this hunt all season long, I feel like driving up there to give you a hand (or at least get a helicopter ride). Keep us posted.

Rich
charlie4

Post by charlie4 »

Wishing you the best of luck.
killshot

Post by killshot »

Best off luck Mike. Take your time.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
huntman

Post by huntman »

I've got my fingers crossed Mike!! Go bring him HOME!
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

yahoo good luck thier mike. i know it was a sleepless night that night. will be haning on a thread today and hoping you will have goreat results
excalibur phoenix
lumi-zone
sts system
acu draw 50
custom string by boo
groundpounders mount
cas custom bolts
100gr slick tricks
excalibur shooter for life
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Best of luck Mike. Boy I hate them high hits. I sure hope you recover.
opossum

Post by opossum »

Good luck.I hope it did not rain up there like it did here.
hetichunter

Re: Palmated Buck Hit

Post by hetichunter »

Mike P wrote:I WILL RECOVER THIS BUCK!

I have a feeling you will move heaven and earth to find your buck!
Please make sure you post and tell us all about the hunt. We came this far with you and i know i for one want a conclusion to this hunt.
This is just the best. Following this hunt has been the best ongoing saga on any forum i frequent.

Mike P i salute you for going after this buck all year. As deer hunters go you are one of the most accomplished i know of.
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
honker

Post by honker »

for the love of god i hope you get this buck.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Best of luck recovering him Mike, but this weather today will make it a challenge!
wabi
maple

Post by maple »

ATTA BOY MIKE.

Go get him.

Maple
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

glad to hear you got your shot and the Buck you were after. wish you the best on recovering him!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315