Palmated Pictures

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Palmated Pictures

Post by Mike P »

Here they are as promised, the three bucks killed this year by the partners. Only Becker did not kill a buck and that is only because he chose not to shoot any from his cabin, errr, blind. Remember I really suck at this so please bear with me. I just put them on the rug in my hall and took the shots. Maybe later I will pose the palmated rack with the phoenix and see if I can get a few pictures that are more presentable. These pictures are just so you can see the rack and get a sense of why I chased this animal for all these months.

The first picture is of Doc's buck. It is the smallest of the three taken. You may remember I posted a picture of this buck a couple of months ago. CF, you will remember this buck by the broken brow tine. This buck went an easy 250 lbs. and was a difficult retrieve. For sake of scale you can use my Tundra pickup truck and the cart. I thought you should see this picture first so you have an idea of what you are looking at in subsequent pictures and are able to judge size of the other racks.

This second picture is a picture of the three racks taken this year. Doc's buck, the one in the picture above, is the rack on the bottom. The buck in the middle is the eleven point that Shrader killed. The palmated buck is on the top. That should give you some size perspective of all the antlers. And it should also tell you why I was so caught up in the pursuit of this buck. The mass is the hallmark of the palmated antlers. And it is due to this mass that this rack could well push 160 P&Y. You have to really go back and forth and look at the rack in the truck and then look at the palmated rack to get an idea of how big this rack is. Even by my standards, and I say this humbly with head bowed, this is a honking big set of headgear!

This is another view of the three racks taken this year. If you look hard you can see the eleventh point on Shraders buck. It is a dagger coming right out of the base of the left antler and it is like four inches long. What a deadly little weapon that would be when bucks lock up for a little sparing. Talk about poking somebody's eye out!

We are really starting to see results from our management program. We are also starting to see behavioral changes as we continue to harvest more doe's. The bucks are reacting more to calls and other stimuli. And it is amazing how fast all this can take place when you allow three year old bucks and younger diplomatic immunity. The three farm alliance is starting to produce some very viable bucks and the numbers are starting to get impressive. If we continue to implement the game plan it should even get better.

Becker is the one that got us into this. He was the one with the foresight to see that the most valuable farm animal in all of North America is the whitetail buck. And they increase the value of your land more then any other known improvement. I am really starting to see that we may actually have hit a home run by investing in the farm. It is worth way more now even under these harsh economic conditions versus what we paid for it. All we did was participate in a plan to grow mature whitetail bucks. And best of all, we get to hunt them! Of all my investments, the one in the farm is the one that pays the dividends I really care for. And no matter what Wall St. does, that dividend can never be taken away!

I am still undecided as to what to do with the palmated rack. I wanted to mount the buck so very much and I am deeply disappointed that I am unable to do so. Deep down I feel that a board is just not going to do this buck justice. And I will not kill another buck just to acquire a cape. CF was correct when he said any buck I take is going to be a buck that I probably will want to mount. Such a dilemma!

And FredBear, the "wrestler" lives for next season!
Last edited by Mike P on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Darn, pictures finally and I can't view them on my work computer. Guess I'll have to go home early and log on.

Rich
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Wow is all I can say. :shock:

I'm sure there's a buck on the downside that would proudly give up his cape for the opportunity to be displayed with that rack.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Mike, I wish i could help with the choice on the mount. Its a toss up for me on what to do. Something that big needs to be a pedestal or wall mount. Something else on consider(im not sure if you have the skull still) but would be the euro mount on a pedestal. That would honor that buck more than just hanging on a board. Im sure you feel the same as me on any good bucks kill, you want to honor them and have them last for years in their beauty. As much as I would hate to do that, I would probably try to opt for a cape from a friend who maybe killed something they arent going to shoulder mount. Its always acceptions, and this is one case you really have to think about. Thats something that doesnt have to be done this season, but you can always hold out for that perfect cape next year(rely on your buddies for that help)

I was thinking he will gross in the upper 160's low 170's...

I still swear those bottom 2 are father and son :D
diesel

Post by diesel »

How wide is the rack ?

Great deer a big congrats to you all.
catcher

Post by catcher »

Great to finally see what we have looked forward to seeing all season. What a giant. About your decision on how to mount it. I have a buck mounted on a board that scores in the 170,s and when people come over and look at my mounts they are always drawn to that bucks mount. Even though it is next to a buck in the high 160's that is a full shoulder mount. I think it is the character of the rack that makes it complete. That Palmated rack is so cool how it is so white and massive and unique with points going everywhere. I think with a tastefull board mount it will steal the show. It is what we all dream about shooting. Good job. Congrats. :D
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
maple

Post by maple »

:shock: :shock: WOW :shock: :shock:

That is amazing Mike. Congratulations on your well deserved harvest and hard earned recovery. Simply amazing.

Why don't you just mount him on the back of the pickup truck. Just for scale of course.

Maple
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Congrats on finishing your quest Mike! 6 in H4's? Do I hear a fight brewing? Mike fights the "Wrestler"? Once again congrats on getting the buck you set your sites on. It was a long hard road, which makes it so much sweeter! Enjoy some time with the Swede for you will be back in the woods looking for that phantom shed soon.....
8up

Post by 8up »

Congrats on a great buck and job well done. You can buy capes and I am sure your going to want the biggest neck circumference you can get for that big ol boy. ebay has plenty of capes and some taxidermist do as well. I even know processors who have kept capes to sell.
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
saxman

Post by saxman »

Nice rack Mike.
That didn't come out right.
Congrats :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

A distinctive set of antlers, Mike. :D

I've seen a lot of palmated antlers in southern Indiana. I'll see if my brother can't email me a pic of one, and I'll post it if he does.

I think funky antlers are the most interesting, though I like to see a nice clean typical rack on a live deer, too.
Grizz
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Congrats Mike. It just goes to show that good things come to those who wait. Like you said it really is amazing how quickly a property can turn around when properly managed.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Very Nice Bucks all the way around. Congratulations to all!!!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

That's most impressive! Gonna be a hard act to follow but I have faith in ya!
Congrats, and I'm real happy for you!
"Eze 18:21"
opossum

Post by opossum »

Nice