Coyotes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OneShot

Coyotes

Post by OneShot »

Since right now the buzz on this site is dogs; I would like to know how to get started to harvest a few.

I bought a 17 HMR with a scope this last summer for a great price @ Brabaws - Gand K Archery in Wallacebutge.

http://gandkarchery.com/

Now what do I do except glass for them at dawn and dusk , or do I get a preditor call ; electronic or otherwise?

Do we organize a drive like the jack rabbit?

Got me a beagle always willing to go for a walk in the woods?

Last edited by OneShot on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

There are people out there who will say the HMR isn't quite enough for coyotes, I am certainly not one of them. My first coyote was shot with a HMR, it was a double actually. You will find shots beyond 100 yards can and will eventually result in a runner, but inside of 100 that rifle is more than up to the job, with proper shot placement of course.
Calling dogs is like anything else, it is a personal thing for most people, I do 99% of my calling with mouth calls, it isn't complicated and can be done at any time of the day. A good resource to hear calls and when to apply them is varmintal.com, I do not agree with a lot of his stuff but it is a good start for you.
Coyotes have very keen eyesight and hearing, they are not easy to fool, most coyotes are shot by hunters who stumble on them, others are shot by groups with dogs pushing a bush, others are done by hunters who set out to hunt them from a far.
Any way you slice it, a dead coyote is a good coyote. Good luck, it is a great way to spend a day.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i have hunted then in the past. a hand held rabbit in distress call and one of those shaky decoys work decent. once you kill 2 maybe 3 from a pack using that one call. they will know it by its sound and tend to avoid you after that. then its either find another pack or try another call. they wise up quick fast & in a hurry
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Just out of curiosity, what are you coyote hunters doing with your harvests? IE, are they edible, mounted, tanned etc? PMs would be gladly accepted.

I've never hunted coyotes before and know practically nothing about it, but I too am interested in it as a means to manage their numbers in my deer hunting areas and to extend my hunting time throughout the winter.

TIA,

Tom
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

hope i don't offend anyone, them yotes stink! i used to hunt them in late May early June for the same reason you want to. left them where they went down. would catch the big ones teaching the new small ones to hunt. i always tried to get the older pr. 1st
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

During deer archery season I basically could not take a stand without at least seeing a coyote. Now that I am targeting them there are none to be seen. I know they are in the area from the fresh tracks I see in the snow but I have yet to bring one into sight. I purchased a Power Dogg electronic call and have been blasting it at maximum volume but I am beginning to wonder if perhaps that is the wrong approach. Maybe I should try at minimum volume to start and in time gradually increase until I'm convinced that I have definitily chased them away from the area. The reed in the mouth call I tried has a tendency to freeze so that is why I went electronic.

Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Hey Brian,

I have taken 4 yotes in our little county of essex. The Tilbury are is just crawling with them. However lately it's harder to get permission then to find the yotes. I got most of them during jack drives...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

we have a lot of them here, which seems to coincide with the hare population as well. When I hunt them, I give them to my father in law who is a trapper and we make a few bucks off of them. I agree, they do stink.

Might go out this weekend, if this weather warms up, they're calling for a
-34C tonight!
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

-34 Phawt

That's just normal for here. Until Al Gore convinced us the planet was boiling over anyways...
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

-34.... where's global warming when we need it? I'm going to start emptying some aerosol cans and idling my car....
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Seriously: we're talking just minutes of exposed skin will be nasty. That's the perfect time to be in the woods!
xbow300win

Post by xbow300win »

That's alot of great advice.

What would you guys/gals recommend instead of the HMR?

I would like to hear your opinions.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I like it day or night..day time I use my 204 ruger and smack a few yotes from distance---calm night shotgun with BBs and doing some callin..IT IS A BLAST..get you a red or do like i did and get a big magic red marker and make a red spot light..It lights there eyes up at night and they dont seem to mind it..

you have to play the wind well..good position because yotes like to get wind on you..shoot out a challenge call....wait to see ifn you got company then...If you do..do some distress calling,,Like said before it isnt hard and you will be surprised on how easy it is..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

We can't night hunt here...
You south-of-the-border guys get to have all the fun!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Is this what most use for coyote?