Extended Deer season in Ontario

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Doe Master
Site Admin

Extended Deer season in Ontario

Post by Doe Master »

Was at the provincial nwtf meeting today and talked to a MNR manager .It is up for review as to weather or not to extend the season .The EBR number is 010-5648 to vote and put your two cents worth in as a comment.
Hopefully here is the address to the site ,if not you will have to use the EBR number.
http://www.environet.lrc.gov.on.ca/ERS- ... anguage=en
MPSNIPER

Post by MPSNIPER »

Thank you Doe master for passing this information forward. This is an important topic that deserves our two cents.
"like a hound...he hunts in his dreams"
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

this topic has discussed on ont. trophy bucks site all week,several changes are proposed all over ontario.one change is a shooters choice tag for additional tag rsther than antlerless only you can take a second buck eg. unit 91-92.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Yes there is several changes proposed .But I figured at least this was a way to get people to the site .
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Thanks Kev.
I forwarded this link to other hunters on my email list. Hope it helps!
Last edited by VixChix on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
sunset

Post by sunset »

Thanks Kevin for keeping us promptly informed. The deer population in Southern Ontario seems to be continually increasing all the time. Although extending the season would be beneficial I believe it comes in a little short.
Several years ago additional deer seals were introduced to help reduce the excess deer numbers. Unfortunately MNR thought hunters should purchase these at full license prices. Hunters operate essentially on a volunteer basis where we don't get paid for our time nor expenses yet we are the most cost effective way the province has to keep deer numbers in line. My suggestion is to have MNR start issuing "two" seals at the time we buy our annual deer licence and encourage us to help resolve "their problem." Excess deer numbers affect all citizens and hunters shouldn't be solely the ones that are paying. In the next month we have an ideal time to convey positive suggestions. I'm hoping we can all contribute something before Feb13.
charlie4

Post by charlie4 »

Couldn't agree more with you sunset
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) I agree ,I conveyed the thought that it is only a cash grab for the additional tags .As well that it would be nice to be able to contribute food banks but as we all know the meat must be inspected . :? The nice thing was this rep of the MNR does actually hunt and is interested in hunting with a crossbow .
bait pile willie

Instead of extending the bow season to Jan 15 why not start it sept 15 the weather is ideal the deer are easier to pattern and in good health,in JAN they are already being stressed out by the rigors of winter,they dont need hunters chasing them.by reducing the herd size early means more food later on.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I've added my comments. I'm all for an extended season.

Thanks for providing the link.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
TB

Post by TB »

Notice it says NEW hunting season. My guess it will be like the fall turkey you will have to purchase a new licence and tags. Probably just to boost revenues!
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

TB wrote:Notice it says NEW hunting season. My guess it will be like the fall turkey you will have to purchase a new licence and tags. Probably just to boost revenues!
You're probably right and that would suck. I don't know if I would purchase additional tags for it but would defintely like the extra 2 weeks to use up any tags that I already had.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
bait pile willie

an extended season is alright as long as you have permission to hunt in deer yds.
honker

Post by honker »

As long as its not increasing the amount of time with the shotgun I'm okay for this.

The best case scenario would be to let archery hunters receive an additional antlered or antlerless tag in WMU's with shotgun controlled hunt. Yes, allocate the normal amount of tags to the controlled hunt, and then distribute whatever else is leftover to successful or willing archery hunters. Therefore not adjusting additional hunt periods nor affecting the control hunts. Basically, so the shotgun hunters don't whine, let their current status continue, but to equal the additional tags, distribute them among archery vs. shotgun.

A week is LONG enough for shotgun controlled hunters in southern Ontario. Way too much stress is created for the deer during that period. I'm not a big fan of seeing all the shotgun hunters in the field during that week hunt. All you see are trucks with extended hunting parties chasing down the deer. Is this as ethical as one or two guys sharing a farm hunt while afield with a bow?

I guess I just don't want to see more offset redneck hunting in my neck of the woods. 1 week for shotgun, that's it. Increase tags, that's fine. However, when everyone are only chasing "Trophy bucks" during the first half (or more) of that week, they resort to shooting whatever else comes their way during the last day or so. To me, there is something wrong with that style and extending the period which they can hunt that way is just wrong. This year we had a harsh beginning of winter. The controlled hunt was freezing and froze the ground. This prompted the beginning of deer hearding in some areas with the right woodlots. If they extend the hunt, and we continue hunting into these cold winter periods, deer will be trying to stay in their wintering grounds and this hunt will not be even worth it. Not to mention, how lean do you expect the bucks and does to be once the real weather arrives?

Lets hope the MNR puts their thinking cap on right for this saga. Of course, recieving more tags is great in some areas, but think about it... If too many changes occur, the deer population may suffer and that will affect your prize hunting grounds. We can't predict weather. And with the way things are going, it's going to be another hard winter for the deer & turkeys. This will hopefully take care of some deer and hopefully not increase and opportunity for the MNR to screw up a system that seems to be working okay. We're all getting tags, we're all having success (for the most part!) so why don't we leave something alone for once. You want to fill extra tags? Why not goto another Service Canada when the time is right and request one then for the WMU you wish to hunt in.

:evil:
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

For the most part these hunts are NOT planned for up north where there is deer yards of hundreds of deer .