Extended Deer season in Ontario

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

I would soon see a Mid September start. The problem with a late hunt is that the Bucks are going to slide and large bucks that have shed are going to be taken as doe. This part worries me as it is not easy to tell a buck that has sheded...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
wabi

Post by wabi »

It doesn't affect me, but I do have an opinion.
One big advantage to an extended season is that an overpopulation of deer can be even further reduced. The drawback is that most of those does are going to be preganant and you may be killing even more than you thought.
Not that it really matters in the overall picture of population reduction,(a doe killed in October isn't going to have little ones next year either) but I just hate to kill pregnant does.
Here in Ohio we can fill tags until early February, but I usually try to fill the freezer before the end of December. I don't think the added late season is all that useful to me, but it's about the only option when we can't kill enough deer during the early season to keep populations controlled. I still have a tag in my wallet in case I decide to go on another hunt or two, but at this point I have no plans to do so. Perhaps the last day or two I may change my mind. :lol:
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I'm with Adrian in that I'd rather see an earlier start than a later finish to the archery season. Around here once shotgun week is over, the daytime deer are scarce.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
marlinchester

Post by marlinchester »

If they were really serious about reducing deer numbers there are many better options.
Sell extra tags good for entire season regardless of weapon type
Start an earn a buck program.
Open the season earlier.
Extend shotgun seasons.
Apprentice only firearm hunts.
The MNR is simply trying to pacify all interested parties by opening a useless cash grab season that will have no effect on population reduction IMHO
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

MNR cash grab? Maybe. But I doubt it. Why exploit the resources that pad your wallet? I would hope that its only b/c of overpopulation. Everyones worked hard to get the number where they are. Doesnt make sense to wipe out the herds now. I always thought that the MNR does not take such desicions lightly. That said, bring on a earlier archery start. Just make sure you have your thermacells :)
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Some people here would like to see the season earlier because they have deer where they hunt . I`m the exact opposite the deer do not really come into my area until later . That is why the later season is of interest to me . That being said I have heard the same complaint with the February goose hunt but where we hunt has the geese so it advantagous to us .
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

VixChix wrote:I'm with Adrian in that I'd rather see an earlier start than a later finish to the archery season. Around here once shotgun week is over, the daytime deer are scarce.
VixChix , Manitoba's season starts in September and its neet to take a Velvet buck that is legal. I don't understand why they didn't go this route, but I could see the buck numbers dropping bad with the late season as at this time they are forging for food...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I can't see how they can specify antlerless, unless they don't care about targeting mature bucks that have dropped their antlers. We saw evidence of early antler loss this year.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I personally would not hunt in September. I like it cold. I hate mosquitos! I heard they are now going to have a November muzzleloader/shotgun season in Area 93 where I hunt. That is going to cut the deer numbers for sure. That was the main thing I liked about my area. No gun season until December. I guess thats going to end.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Taking a deer in Sept can make things pretty tricky when it comes to processing it when it's still so warm out. I shot my first doe this year in early October. It was cool enough in the morning but got up into the 20's C later in the day. If it wasn't for a friend with a walk in cooler in his barn I probably would have lost it because of the heat.

I prefer the cooler weather but I don't think I would have been out too often this year with the first 2 weeks of January that we've had.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
JRS

Post by JRS »

one shot scott wrote:I always thought that the MNR does not take such desicions lightly.
Tell that to the outfitters that had the spring bear hunt canceled on them. :roll:
marlinchester

Post by marlinchester »

I say it is a cash grab because they haven't suggested a later season for 85-86 (Huron-Perth) 2 of the densest deer populated units of the province. Some estimates are at 14 per sq mile with a carrying capacity of 5-6.
Over 250 deer car collisions a year in Huron.
So why a later season in all those other WMU's?
If they aren't creating new late season tags and are allowing archers who have unfilled tags another 2 weeks to cut them then great I'm all for it.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

JRS wrote:
one shot scott wrote:I always thought that the MNR does not take such desicions lightly.
Tell that to the outfitters that had the spring bear hunt canceled on them. :roll:

Good Point. Maybe they learned their lesson? :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
marlinchester

Post by marlinchester »

I looked through all the proposed changes and am not looking forward to opening a non resident archery season.