ML guys: BH 209

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

ML guys: BH 209

Post by crazyfarmer »

I brought this up in another post here so I wanted to go more in depth on it. I posted back in the summer that I loved this stuff. It shot very impressive out to 100 yards in my gun. Tight 1.5 inch groups!

anyhow, the real test came during ML'er season here. I loaded the ML'er the first day and didnt see a deer for 4 days worth shooting. Finally a shooter appeared on day five. Keep in mind he ML'er had been loaded with the same load all this time. Never before have I had any issues with leaving one loaded. Well, this time things were different. The cap went off and I heard a hishhhhhhhhhhh sound. What tha? Well upon inspection only about 1/8th of the 115grains had lit! Just enough to push the sabot out the barrel and 5ft! You can get me once, but not twice. Now im back to Triple 7! Its no way the powder had gotten wet. Im wondering that maybe after 4-5 days outside in the gun maybe its loses its UMPH. Im not taking that chance again. This was a fate type misfire since I got to get a good second look at the buck and he wasnt as big as I had first thought! But had this been a 160inch gaint, well BH would have gotten a email. I still have 1 full can of the stuff never opened LOL. But im just not taking the chance again
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd contact the manufacturer and see if they have any comments.
I haven't tried the BH209, but then I'm not sold on T-7 either. :lol:
For best reliability and accuracy I've never found anything better than the original - real black powder. I've shot thousands of rounds through everything from flintlocks to 209 primed inlines and real BP has always given me the best performance! (Please note - I said I have not tried BH 209)
Right now I have a couple pounds of T-7 and it gets used in my shotgun only. I just never got the groups I like with it in my rifles. I didn't want to throw it away, so I stuck a 209 conversion nipple in my sidelock shotgun and am burning it behind shot charges. A flier there isn't going to be noticable. :lol:
wabi
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:shock: Thanks for the update on the new powder . I think I`ll stick with my 777 .If it ain`t broke why fix it, for me .You could always use it on the coyotes . :)
the elf

Bh 209

Post by the elf »

Hi---The key to your problem is when you said you left the m/loader loaded for 5 days.--All powders will absorb moisture when exposed to the elements--and going from heat to cold and back again--it only takes a few seconds to unload--especially with an easily removable breech plug----and powder is still reasonably cheap. Hope this helps.
bomtek44

Post by bomtek44 »

I have hunted with Triple 7 2f since it first came out. It ALWAYS has performed to the high level I have expected of my rifle and load. It does very well in my Remington 700MLS, using 100 grains of loose with the 200 grain Shockwaves. In my Knight SS Disc Elite I use 110 grains of loose 777 with the 200 Shockwave. I use the domed breechplug and the red FPJ's. It is loaded and forgotten about until time to shoot a deer, maybe a day or maybe, from the second week of November until the third week of December, as was the case this year. I always put electrician's tape over the end of the bore, and never carry the rifle in and out of the house.

Groups always average well under and inch at 100 for three shots, and it clocks near 2100 fps over the chrony.

I cannot find BH209 locally as of yet, but plan on testing it before next season. I have heard it doesn't reliably ignite with the domed breech plug in the Knight rifles, but works well with the standard plug.

Thanks,
bomtek44
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bomtek44 wrote:I have hunted with Triple 7 2f since it first came out. It ALWAYS has performed to the high level I have expected of my rifle and load. It does very well in my Remington 700MLS, using 100 grains of loose with the 200 grain Shockwaves. In my Knight SS Disc Elite I use 110 grains of loose 777 with the 200 Shockwave. I use the domed breechplug and the red FPJ's. It is loaded and forgotten about until time to shoot a deer, maybe a day or maybe, from the second week of November until the third week of December, as was the case this year. I always put electrician's tape over the end of the bore, and never carry the rifle in and out of the house.

Groups always average well under and inch at 100 for three shots, and it clocks near 2100 fps over the chrony.

I cannot find BH209 locally as of yet, but plan on testing it before next season. I have heard it doesn't reliably ignite with the domed breech plug in the Knight rifles, but works well with the standard plug.

Thanks,
It doesnt like the old dome plugs like you said. Its also picky about which primers you use also. I went back to the W209 primers and it shot and worked great. The pics in here somewhere, but you could put a quarter on my 100yard groups. With T7, I was grouping 2inches so its not a huge deal either way.

elf, Im sure they do but this was my first issue in 12 years. When I first started I would leave the thing loaded and hunt with all season, never had that issue. I normally unload the gun after 5 days anyway and reload for the last week of ML season. Im just wondering if that stuff absorbs quicker than the older style powders. After cleaning and reloading, I did take a buck 5 days later with no issues on the T7 pellets. Thats hunting in the rain for 2 days also. I dont even remember hunting in wet conditions with the BH.

oh and the problem with unloading the powder is that it sticks to all the threads where the breech goes so you basically have to reclean the whole end. I was hoping BH would make a pellete form, but there makers said it wont be soon.
njxbow

Post by njxbow »

bh209 is by far the best stuff out there. it's totally non-corrosive. you don't have to patch between shots or clean it like you do with other propellants. i experimented with my tc omega this year. i didn't clean it once the whole year from the time i sighted it in until last week. it cleaned up new with regular hoppe's. i had a total of 35 to 40 shots through it. there are some tips for use with bh209 as it does not ignite as easily as 777 or others in real cold weather:

1. do not use special primers for muzzleloaders, use magnum primers, i use CCI209M

2. use tight fitting sabots

3. seat the bullet real firm, bh209 likes to be compressed

4. check your breech plug and flashhole every 20 shots, pick out carbon if needed

5. don't leave powder in gun more than a day or two, fire it off
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I bought a savage 10 ml this year. So I have the luxury of shooting smokeless powder. Ill never go back! Its clean shooting and by far the most accurate muzzleloader I have shot. I took two deer over 250 yards this year with it! It feels good to be able to see after the shot. Oh yeah and did I mention you dont have to clean but once a season!!!!!! The only con of this gun is its HEAVY!!!!! Id recommend anyone thats looking to buy a new muzzleloader look into the Savage.
saxman

Post by saxman »

CF, I didn't have those problems of course I don't deal with the temps that you do either.
I killed a Doe on 11/01/08 in the evening,I had loaded that morning.
It was raining but i ws in a ground blind.
90 grn BH 209 under a 200 grn Shockwave and a W 209 primer.
No problem,Boom Flop,she lifted her head but never got up.
I reloaded and left it loaded (I forgot) till just the other day.I pulled the BP and the charge,I didn't try to shoot it,I wish I had

I'm sorry that happened to you CF.
Wal Mart's price on 777 is dropping so I will pick up some more of it but will mainly shoot the BH 209 untill I have a problem.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
hawg hunter

powder

Post by hawg hunter »

I hunt with black powder only. Its been in use for avery long time and is still smokin and stinkin. As stated in several of my other post the subs are not what they are suppose to be. Be careful out there some of the subs develop high pressure when packed in tight places such as BPCR cases.