Smoke Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theoldarcher

Smoke Broadheads

Post by theoldarcher »

Has anyone heard of these and if so has anyone tried them?
http://www.smokebroadheads.com/
The concept seems sound but I would like a first hand account before buying any.
GaryL

Re: Smoke Broadheads

Post by GaryL »

theoldarcher wrote:Has anyone heard of these and if so has anyone tried them?
http://www.smokebroadheads.com/
The concept seems sound but I would like a first hand account before buying any.
Yup concept seems sound, liked the vids on them, have too see what cost is and do they fly like stated..

GH

GaryL .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I found some on Ebay for 40 dollars for a pack of three but I want to hear first hand before forking it over. They must hold closed during flight because he is shooting them out of a ten point crossbow during the demo. Personally I was impressed they opened on the tomato during the demo but I have been fooled before.
saxman

Post by saxman »

They look good,time will tell.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

As a staunch fixed broadhead user, I have to say this is one of the first mechanicals that I just may consider.

The design just looks very good to me.

And as far as forty bucks for three, well, for me, that is a three year supply.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'll not shoot any mechanical with less than a 1.5" cutting diamenter. I perfer 2". At 1 1/8th inch, it really doesn't offer any advantages over a fixed blade of equal size.

However, I like the design.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

sumner4991 wrote: At 1 1/8th inch, it really doesn't offer any advantages over a fixed blade of equal size.
Sumner I was thinking that they may fly just a smidge better then a fixed head at 1 1/8 inch due to aerodynamics.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i like the idea of the blades being sharp on the back as well. i dont think ive seen any heads with blades like that before?

those blades teamed up with their turkey point you put on the broadhead should make them bleed out quick.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Mike P wrote:
sumner4991 wrote: At 1 1/8th inch, it really doesn't offer any advantages over a fixed blade of equal size.
Sumner I was thinking that they may fly just a smidge better then a fixed head at 1 1/8 inch due to aerodynamics.
Mike P. . . .you are probably right, but, the difference would be unnoticed by the end user in hunting conditions(probably similar to the faster speed of a mechanical due to the blades being closed). If I'm going to take a "chance" on a mechanical not opening(as small as I consider that chance to be), then I want some real reward. Risk/reward ratio isn't good enough on a 1 1/8th inch cut. The larger cut is the true reason I use the mechanicals. I swear to you . . .the extra bleeding is unreal, especially on the "not so perfect" hits.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I see where your coming from about having a larger cutting surface being better but I wouldn’t you get better penetration from the smoke due to the opening on impact design. On the typical mechanical design where the blades have to travel rearward to open it looks like that would slow the Broadhead down and you would loose penetration. With the open on impact style of smoke I would think that the penetration would be much deeper even at a slower speed. Even if it came with two inch cutting blades its still shot placement in the long run that makes the shortest tracking jobs. Besides I’m not trying to sell them I just wonder if they would better that average mechanical?
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

From the website:

"IMPORTANT: SMOKE BROADHEAD WILL NOT DEPLOY IN FOAM OR HARD PRACTICE TARGETS; PRACTICE TARGET MUST SIMULATE HIDE FOR DEPLOYMENT"

I wonder why not? If it will deploy the blades on a semi-flexible surface, why would it not deploy them on a somewhat stiffer surface? That statement concerns me. Will that hard shoulder bone just under the hides surface stop the blades from deploying? Overall the design looks sweet, but the statement above makes no sense to me.

I've never shot a mechanical that wouldn't deploy in/on foam.

DuckHunt
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

theoldarcher wrote:I see where your coming from about having a larger cutting surface being better but I wouldn’t you get better penetration from the smoke due to the opening on impact design. On the typical mechanical design where the blades have to travel rearward to open it looks like that would slow the Broadhead down and you would loose penetration. With the open on impact style of smoke I would think that the penetration would be much deeper even at a slower speed. Even if it came with two inch cutting blades its still shot placement in the long run that makes the shortest tracking jobs. Besides I’m not trying to sell them I just wonder if they would better that average mechanical?
Being able to get enough penetration isn't an issue with today's high power bows. More times than not . . .the broadhead will pass through and then act like the energizer rabbit . . .even the 2" cuts.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Here's an explanation to why the won't open in rigid targets.
The Smoke Broadhead was designed for larger game like white tail deer, hogs, elk, mule deer, bear, etc. Due to the extensive testing we have done, you will see below that I have specifically designed a tip for small game with thinner hides, feathers, lighter body masses, or rigid surfaces (including targets). This is currently in production and is anticipated to be available on our website soon.
With the Smoke, I set my testing standards to parallel the industry standards. The target needs hide to be on a pliable backing like the industry standard ballistic gelatin. This most closely resembles a live target in a hunting situation because of the resistance and give of the target. This allows the Smoke Broadhead to create front end load for deployment as it is pushing through the hide into the pliable ballistic gelatin and/or body mass before it deploys and enters the target. After it is deployed and enters the target, the Smoke frontal tip creates a hydrofoil which minimizes friction down the arrow shaft and allows for extreme penetration.
The reason the Smoke Broadhead will not go off in cardboard/foam types of targets is because the surface area of cardboard/foam is not hydrated and does not flex. It has a rigid surface area which disallows the puckering/pliancy of the target which is needed for the Smoke Broadhead to deploy and lock open. A rigid surface will disallow the give in the target that allows the blades to lock open. The blades will open; however, they will not reach the locking position; and therefore, will close before they have a chance to lock (especially with today’s high speed compound and cross bows). The slight amount of pliancy in the animal’s hide enables the blades to deploy and lock open.
For smaller game such as fox, turkeys, etc., I have produced the Smoke Tommy Knocker turkey tip. This is a wider and flatter tip that screws on to the end of the Smoke. This tip also will enable the Smoke Broadhead to open in foam/rigid targets.
Also in production and anticipated to be available soon is a 25 grain bushing that can be screwed behind the tip of the Smoke Broadhead. If you want to practice, simply remove the blades which weigh 25 grains and attach the bushing. When you are ready to go hunting, remove the bushing and insert the blades. This bushing also accommodates archers who prefer a 125 grain broadhead.
Larger game with heavier hide require the Smoke triangular cutting tip. You will see the difference between the Smoke and the Tommy Knocker turkeytip and the effectiveness that each has on larger and smaller game, respectively.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.