Tuned broadheads today !!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bomtek44

Tuned broadheads today !!

Post by bomtek44 »

Today the weather was OK so I took the "new" Exomax to the bench for some serious testing. Three arrows:

Gold Tip Laser 2 with brass insert, aluminum nock, 4 inch vanes,and 125 grain field tip. Weight is 437 grains. Chronograph average, 319 fps. One inch groups at 20 yards.

XX75 2216's with aluminum nock, aluminum insert, 4 inch vanes, and 125 grain field tip. Weight is 442 grains. Chronograph average is 317 fps. One inch or better at 20 yards.

XX75 2219's with aluminum nock, aluminum insert, 2 inch Blazer vanes, and 125 grain field tip. Weight is 472 grains. Chronograph average is 310 fps. Also one inch groups at 20 yards, slightly higher than the other two.

Now it was time to shoot broadheads. I have always preferred broadheads that have a blade retention system independent of the arrow insert and a small washer on the base of the ferrule. That goes back to the days of the old Wasp Camlock. I have shot Muzzy three blade 100 grain heads for several years. I like them but out of every six-pack, at least one usually flunks the spin test. They also have an aluminum ferrule that is rather long. The longer they are the more they may tend to bend. I also want to shoot 125's in the Excalibur to help with FOC. Today at Sportsman's Warehouse, I did some looking. Almost got the 125 Montec, then the 125 Slick Trick Magnum (but no locking system). Wanted a low profile at 125 grain weight. I picked up a six pack of 125 grain Sonics. They have a nut retention system. I must add that the 125 grain SS Innerlocks looked sturdy and had a great locking system, but I didn't want to spend a fortune on testing.

Shot number one with a 2216 and Sonic at 20. Same impact. 2219, same deal, with the broadhead maybe a bit lower (only took three shots each). I stepped back to 50, sat down and rested on my knees, shot a broadhead and field tip with the 2216's. They were within one inch. Did this three times with the same results......I didn't even bother shooting broadheads from the 2219's and carbons......this was just so easy. Those shots were fired into a brand new closed cell foam broadhead target that is 20 inches thick. They buried up to the fletching at 50 yards.

Looks like tuning is over for me. I will still probably shoot some 125 grain Muzzy's.......just to see.

Thanks,
bomtek44
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Let us know about the 125 muzzys.. I use 100 3 blade muzzy and factory firebolts and at 50 get 1.5 groups
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
bomtek44

Post by bomtek44 »

I guess I should have added in my first post that all my previous experience with the 100 grain Muzzy was with my vertical bows. My Mathews MQ1 does well with them.

This Exomax is my first crossbow, and today was my first broadhead experiment.

Thanks,
bomtek44
bassboater

Post by bassboater »

hmm i found the 100 gr muzzy's dropped 5 yards lower then a 100 gr field point. the crosshairs with field point was 25yds. with muzzy's it was 20 yards.
I bought the rage 2 blade 100 grain and they shot just like field points. hopin to give it a practical test next saturday. (last day)
Hunter at heart, fish in the off deer season. Month of Feb i have off from the outdoors, wife always wants chores then. She's a sportsman's widow