Guys in the Ice Band [wabi-Woody-and all down there]

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Golden Eagle

Guys in the Ice Band [wabi-Woody-and all down there]

Post by Golden Eagle »

Hope you Guys in the Ice Band are doing alright.

I saw on the Weather Channel Kaintuck is a mess.

We had Snow here till morning then changed to rain and now back to Snow. Some Ice and 4 inches of Snow.

Good Luck and stay safe.
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Ya we have got another 8 inches and more to come!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Just part of being a Canuck :D . Been snowing here all day.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just got my phone, internet, and cable TV back on. No mail delivery here in town tody, and it has to be bad for that to happen. :shock:
Many downed trees and powerlines and a level 3 snow emergency in effect (emergency vehicles only on the roads).
We got about 6" of snow yesterday, then it changed to freezing rain all night, then back to snow this morning.
Looks like we may be stuck indoors for a day or two, but luckily I have natural gas heat, so electric outages don't keep me from being warm or make me miss any meals. :lol:
wabi
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Freezing rain for most of the day yesterday. It froze as soon as it hit. Limbs and powerlines down everywhere.

Our power was off and on last night. It was off from 1:30 until about 7 this morning. Thank goodness for the fireplace insert.

I stood out on the front porch last night and listened to the limbs breaking and falling in the woodlot next to the house. Big time breaking and falling.

I had a tree top fell and barely missed my deck.

Snow started about 3 am. Looks to be about 6 or 7 inches of snow on top of 3 to 4 inches of ice. Snow I can handle and kind of like.. Ice PHHAAAFFTT!

I heard that 80,000 are without power in southern Indiana.

we are lucky..

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

ecoaster wrote:Just part of being a Canuck :D . Been snowing here all day.
Ah I know that ecoaster. Younz are in that Snow Belt. Snow all Winter!!!I was wondering about all that Ice they were talking about though in the center of the Country. I heard a Million without Power.
opossum

Post by opossum »

We had 6" of snow yesterday and then it turned to freezing rain.It rained until sometime this morning and then switched back to snow.I had a hard time getting home trees all over the roads.I measure this evening and we had 8" the best I can tell.I will be glad to see some warm weather.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I will's keep this going!!

We got a few more over night and all day yesterdat the 27th Jan.. 09..

Makes for good hunting with one littl problem!!!!

Shoot one and don't find it early enough and snow covers all tracks, however with tha being stated SNOW can sure make it nice tracking eh!!

As Bob would say.. make the first shot count and you don't have to track far!!

Get'er Done!!

GaryL .... :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
taureau noir

Post by taureau noir »

Here we had 16" of snowyesterday.The snow bank pussed by the snow plow is over 48" high.
Now it is sunny but with gusty winds. Temp.-10°C
Taureau noir :o
---------Chasseurs et Pêcheurs du Québec----
http://chasseursetpecheurs.actifforum.com
[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/momo7132/LOGO/chasseur_pecheur2.jpg[/img]
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

opossum wrote:We had 6" of snow yesterday and then it turned to freezing rain.It rained until sometime this morning and then switched back to snow.I had a hard time getting home trees all over the roads.I measure this evening and we had 8" the best I can tell.I will be glad to see some warm weather.
Same here in Central Il. Emergency traffic only. My electric never went off. Tens of thousands without power as close as 20 miles.

Got my woodburner going, plenty of provisions, my internet, Coffee pot, and TV. Haven't been out since storm started. I had a hip replaced 12/29/08 and am not going to take a chance of falling.

Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Power was finally restored around two this morning as near as I can tell. The standby diesel generator kicked off around that time.

We didn't have it bad because of the generator. Doc and his wife and two other couples that live near us spent the last two nights here in the house. When the electricity goes, so goes their heat. I picked up this generator for five thousand bucks at a surplus equipment auction and it is one of the better purchases I ever made. Runs on a Yanmar diesel engine and can power the whole house. Shrader installed it and it automatically kicks in if the power fails.

Both I-71 and I-75 were closed and all the surface roads are ice covered. The worst by far though are the trees. As if it were the final cruel joke left over from hurricane Ike winds that brought down tons of trees here, this ice storm is bringing down more. Between Ike and the ice storm, I will have firewood for life.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just got power back after over 24 hrs without it. Hopefully it'll stay on for a while. :roll:
wabi
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

hope it all works out to youalls favor..I would rather have alot of snow instead of the freezing ice we get here. last year ice tore up the woods and I mean tore it up and folks were without power for near 20 days..I was out for 7..use the ole gen set for a week..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

A 14 inch snowfall here, one hour south of Montreal.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Managed to get out this afternoon, and only got the truck stuck once - trying to get out of the driveway. :oops: :roll:
Saw several places with wires still down laying across the raods (mostly telephone & cable, the electric wires are quickly dealt with).
Here at home we still have plenty of ice, but the sun warmed it up today so it was bearable to be outdoors. Even my dog enjoyed the sunlight :lol: - the tree branches are usually well above the bird feeder, the ice & snow has them really drooping!

A view of my property from the intersection (the house in the center is where I did live but rent out now, I live in the house on the far left)

And a shot of the typical condition of what the secondary (town streets & township & county highways) look like today.

Looks like a cold night ahead, and not above freezing again tomorrow, but Sunday may bring high enough temperatures to get rid of a lot of the ice, then back to sub-freezing for a few days. :(
I made it out for a walk on the farm I hunt today, and there is a lot of limbs down and treetops broken out. The landowner took the tractor and got to my deer feeder this morning and filled it with corn - the songbirds were having a feast! Unfortunately, I left my camera at home. :oops:

At least I'll have plenty of fishing lures made, and sinkers cast for the summer's fishing if this weather stays this way. :lol:
Nothing better than firing up the wood stove in my shop and working on projects like that in this weather - even ordered a new pellet pistol yesterday so I can take a break and plink a few rounds into my indoor target while I'm working (if you call lure making, sinker & bullet casting, and arrow & string making work). :wink: :lol: :lol:
wabi