heavy carbon arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

supertuck

heavy carbon arrows

Post by supertuck »

I am looking for some heavy carbon arrows any ideas I like gts looking for 450 grain or so for my excocet
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

are you looking for 430-450 without a fieldtip or with?
supertuck

Post by supertuck »

without
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

I use carbon express bolts because there pretty heavy.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

you can use 8/32 all threaded steel rod or brass steel weighs about 25 gr an inch don't know what the brass will weigh per inch. 6" of the steel will put in that area. i put goat tuff glue on threads and screw it into the back of the brass insert. put your pt in 1st so its completely threaded then your all thread with glue.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bomtek44

Post by bomtek44 »

Without extra weight you will not be able to get that weight from the Gold Tips. 20 inch GT, three 4 inch vanes and brass insert, plus 125 grain head only gives me an average of 437 grains.

You will need to go the route of using the all thread rod as mentioned above or go to heavier carbons.

Thanks,
bomtek44
supertuck

Post by supertuck »

thanks for the info eveyone i think I will look into easton powerbolts any thoughts?
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

supertuck wrote:thanks for the info eveyone i think I will look into easton powerbolts any thoughts?
the power bolts are going be around 320-330 without a fieldtip

to get a 400+ shaft without any fieldtip you will have to add rods or weight screws

its gonna be extremely hard to find a 430 shaft alone since you would have to hunt elephants to justify it :P :lol: :lol: I relaly dont know if anyone makes a crossbow bolt which the shaft is more than 10.5gpa. Someone mentioned carbon express, but I doubt they go more than 10.5 also
supertuck

Post by supertuck »

Just trying to use all my excocet energy I figure why wastes it on light arrows plus I hear the heavier the arrow the quieter the bow or somthing like that. :lol:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

supertuck wrote:Just trying to use all my excocet energy I figure why wastes it on light arrows plus I hear the heavier the arrow the quieter the bow or somthing like that. :lol:
Im shooting some 375grain bolts(with the fieldtip included) and getting complete pass throughs on every shot and that was with my exocet 200. Im not sure what more energy will get you if you are already getting pass throughs :P :D :D

but you are looking for a 530ish grain arrow with the fieldtip which is fine and dany, but thats more for hunting elk and moose. Still overkill for elk at that :D

You will suffer a big lost in speed also, going from a average of 300 with the excel string to roughly 250fps on a 530grain bolt(thats on the excel string) Im not sure which string you use.

from years of experience and from members here, a 410grain total bolt weight is MORE and enough. Its also dampens sound. One combo I highly suggest is a Boo custom string and 410grain bolt. Boo's strings dampen sound since they are thicker strings and the 410 over a 350grain bolt will kill some sound also. But no matter what, its a crossbow and it will be extremely loud compared to a compound longbow. Its no way to make a xbow quiet enough for a second shot unless the deer is death LOL :D

bottom line, you have to decide what weight and speed loss are best for your bow

what arrows do you shoot now btw?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

victory XBolts weigh more than GT or Firebolts. once you get past 500 gr or so your arrows have become real good Elk-Moose-Buffalo arrows. my every day GT II's for deer hunting weigh 450 to 500 gr. my alum. the same. my big logs 525's on up i use for bigger game like squirrels on up :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Why "heavy carbon"? Isn't this an oxymoron? If the OP wants weight for hunting arrows then why even consider CF arrows? Why not just get some 2219s and fa-get-abbow-dit?
supertuck

Post by supertuck »

I am shooting gt 2 that came with my excocet but I am running low.I guess your right about the pass throughs I have never not got one to go straight through.I was just trying to quiet my x bow sum . maybe instead of heavy bolts I should be looking at an sts or maybe a boo string but from what I heard he is way behind on orders.
supertuck

Post by supertuck »

I dont like alluminum bolts cause when you miss they are junk. and the carbons hang tough shot one through a deer this year in early season and was able to reuse it again in late season here in pa. I cant do that with alluminum.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

buy a dz GT lazer II's with the 110 brass insert. with blazer 2" vanes it will weigh 420 with 100 gr pt or 445 gr with 125 gr pt. if you go with 100 gr pt or the 125 gr get 8/32 steel all thread rod use 2" or 3" will give great weight and FOC will pass thru a deer like a hot knife blade soft butter. i use them and use the rod, med. heavy hit a deer like being kicked by a mule :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360