running hounds/coyotes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fuel80guy

running hounds/coyotes

Post by fuel80guy »

Does anyone on here have any experience/input on running hounds for coyotes?
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

do not know... interesting idea... fast movers .. like running deer with walker and blue tic hounds I guess...
dk
life guard at the gene pool
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Some coyote hunters have success using greyhounds to hunt coyotes and some use various other breeds. But there is another way to use dogs that is really starting to catch on.

They use dogs in such a way that the yotes come after the dogs and the dogs bring the yotes to the hunter.

Just google "dogging coyotes" and you can find lots of information.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

We have been doing it for years and in my opinion it is the most effective way to put a dent in the local yote population. We have had great success with black and tans and walkers, during deer season i have seen those 2 breeds drop a deer track to take a yote. However I am not saying that every black and tan or walker will do that obviously and there are other good yote running breeds out there. It is a great way to get yer bud's together and sharpen your shooting skills, its like trying to hit a two and a half foot 2"x6" flying across the field lol. You want to be on your toes and make your first shot count, they can get across a 3 acre opening before you can get a 2nd shot. We have our best success by driving around the perimeter of the property we are going to hunt after a fresh snow to find fresh tracks. If you find tracks going in and none coming out its game on. Get the dogs on the fresh tracks and get your bud's covering all possible escape routs and be ready the action is fast and you never know how many there are going to be, even when you think its over more often than not your just getting started. For the safety of the dogs put bells on there collars and/or an orange vest, mistakes have been made in the heat of the moment and believe me nobody wants that. Safety first and be sure before you shoulder your gun and have fun it is a great winter pass time. Good luck.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
MPSNIPER

Post by MPSNIPER »

If you have ever used hounds to run deer, the chases can be similar. My dad is an old houndsman and used everything from redticks, walkers, blueticks, black&tans etc... Dad always liked running at least two hounds and believed at least one should have a coarse sounding tongue to keep the coyotes running. I have seen us use one hound and after an hour chase the two coyotes being chased turned on the hound. The dog escaped with it's life but was so beat up that it ruined him from running coyotes again. Depends on the terrain, but we've used centerfire rifles and 12 gauges if in an area where there was the possibility of houses. Be prepaired for some fantastic hunts. To be efficient, you really need a few guys ( really the more the better) to cover off escape routes.
In nature, there is a place for every animal. The place for the coyotes would be hanging in my woodshed.
-Michael.
"like a hound...he hunts in his dreams"
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

Starting to get a bit of a negative image in some places. Some are shooting from roadways and running dogs across private property.

PS...I have no problem with shootin yotes.
I come by my name honestly.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

MPSNIPER wrote:The place for the coyotes would be hanging in my woodshed.
Amen