New Member with questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VA Bigbore

New Member with questions

Post by VA Bigbore »

Hello All. I have been reading over some of the threads here while waiting to be approved for the forum. I have a Phoenix model Excalibur. I have been hunting with it for three years now. This year is the first time I really got serious though. I just ordered an Excalibur scope mount and a Vari-zone scope, so I hope to get it all set up and ready to go with the new setup very soon.

What are the members thoughts on the Vari-zone scope? Any pointers or anything that would be helpful? I have been using the factory peep-site setup, without much success. I have killed one deer with my crossbow, but I have missed several more. I continuously seem to over shoot them! The sights are spot on for the target, but I miss high at deer. Probably misguess at the yardage..........but thats bow hunting. Id rather miss high than make a bad shot and wound. I am hoping that the scope setup will help give me the confidence I need. I have no difficulty filling my tags with my rifle, so maybe the scope will help me. I also ordered the range finder mount for the scope, so that should take the guesswork out of a lot of my shots.

Last question I have is about bowstrings. I keep reading here about Boo's Bowstrings....................Who is this fella and how do I contact him? I have done searches for his company and have found nothing. Can someone please asssit with contacting Boo? I am very new to this archery thing. I used to shoot competition compound bow when I was in high school, but the crossbow is a whole new deal for me. Any and all insights and help is appreciated.

VA Bigbore
Normous

Post by Normous »

Welcome Bigbore, The varizone is very popular here with shooters and hunters. Most all appreciate the upgrade over the peep. Is is actually a power adjusted 2-4 scope with reticle increments of 10,20,3040,and 50 yard. That alone might help your distance shooting provided you brush up your range calculating skills. Great choice BTW.
Boo is our resident string maker. He also contributes significantly to this forum in many ways. He manages a successfull automotive shop in Toronto Canada and makes quality handmade strings in his spare time. You will find his Custom string post in the Trading Post section. Right now I suggest you contact him in a PM and place yourself on a short waiting list as he is in the order catch up mode right now.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
VA Bigbore

Post by VA Bigbore »

Thanks for the info. I will take your suggestion and PM Boo. This forum looks like there are a lot of helpful posters. I hope I can contribute although I am pretty new to crossbows.
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum. here is boos post http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=18801
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

welcome to the forum
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
cabinfever

Post by cabinfever »

A range finder is a great tool if you don't have time to practise your range
estimating. But if you have the time get involved in some 3D shoots this will help in building your range estimating
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome to the forum!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

its alot of Va people on here lately :lol: :D

welcome...

to answer a few things, get the Varizone! Just the added magnification helps so much during those first 10mins or last 10mins of light. It helps for a clearer sight picture of what you are shooting at.

Boo makes the best strings.. Their strength and dependability are second to none. I have 2 and some members here have up to 5-6 of his strings LOL. Once you go Boo, you never go back :P