Carbon
65%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 52

VA Bigbore

Carbon vs. Aluminum bolts?

Post by VA Bigbore »

When I bought my Excalibur crossbow it came with Excalibur bolts. I purchased some Horton bolts last year and have been using them to hunt with this year. I have always used aluminum arrows in the past with my bow for several reasons:
1. I made all my own arrows from raw shafts
2. Aluminum arrows are easier to make (in my opinion, no special cutter)
3. Aluminum is heavier (more kinetic energy)
4. I can find my shafts with a metal detector (I hunt in fields a lot).

I am learning that there is a few differences from crossbows and normal "compound" bows. I am curious on what your thoughts are on the topic of which is better for use in crossbows. Carbon is (was) more expensive than aluminum, but it is more forgiving upon impact and may take abuses that aluminum won't. What are you thoughts on it?
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i voted alum "arrows" ....bolts have threads and a hex head on them :wink: .................bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i actually use both, and the prices are about the same. i can actually get more weight from a carbon than alum. unless i cut steel or brass rods to slug my arrows with. i find it easier to build carbon arrows vs. alum.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i've been using alum since i started in shooting in 1980....always like there durability, if they got the slightest bend in it ya knew it....carbon you need to check for cracks or spilts each time you pull it out of the target....i've used the same alum arrow on two deer i got this year...................bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

carbon

I used aluminum for years and just got sick of them bending. Carbon will just simply break if its bad. No guesswork. Carbon shafts are extremely easy to workup. You can by your raw shafts and go form there. You can add weights to change FOC and so forth. You can do ther samejob with either arrow, but I just hate somethings thats gonna bend. Ive been using the same carbons for 4 years now. I just rewrap and fletch them for different colors everyyear.

with aluminum, I was lucky to make it through one hunting season before bending one someway LOL :P

The only carbon I had break was on a shoulder through shoulder shot and the arrow didnt pass. The buck snapped it when he started running. But anything would snap in that situation LOL
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i shot 3 tick toters this year and all 3 of my alum. arrows got bent and ruined. they must have gotten in the way of their front legs. :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

smokepolehall wrote:i shot 3 tick toters this year and all 3 of my alum. arrows got bent and ruined. they must have gotten in the way of their front legs. :lol:
they were trying to ditch the weight of that 650grain arrow.. it was weighing them down to much :P :lol: :D
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Aluminum like bends better then splinters!!
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

In the past 5 yrs, I've never had a carbon fail in any manner that wasn't abused, like hitting rocks shooting squirrels from a tree stand.

I had one in a target at a 3-D shoot that was locked up so tight I twisted the shaft off. My main experience is w/ GT L II's, about 3-4 doz over the years.

Robin Hoods are a tad rough on them, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
opossum

Post by opossum »

I have used aluminum for the 2 season I have hunted with a xbow.I have not bent or broke one yet.I have used the same arrows to harvest several deer and a turkey..I ordered some carbons to try.
VA Bigbore

Post by VA Bigbore »

Interesting results. So far, in the pole twice as many say they are using carbon instead of aluminum. But darn near all the replies are for aluminum. I too prefer aluminum, but have considered changing over just because carbon is the only thing I can find around here. For those of you who are using aluminum bolts, what size are you using (2216, 2219, or other)?

Thanks for the responses.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I shot a deer a couple years ago and recovered 1/2 of a carbon arrow. Don't know when, why, or where it broke for sure, but I went back to aluminum!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

Gold Tip Lazer II's Brass fron insert wit 100 grn head,Tracer nock lighted nock on the back (22.6 grn) with 2" Blazers and wraps
The total 436.8
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

carbon : straighter, I think, no dings, no bends, and I used a lot of aluminum in the past... tried the carbons and that is what i have for now... I really do not care which one it is in practical sense... they will both shoot just fine for my uses..
decided to try the carbons this season and accumulated a few arrows so far.. may take a while to need some others..
dk
life guard at the gene pool
mikej

Post by mikej »

aluminum for me