Fixed Blade
75%
Expanding Blade
25%

Total votes: 68

VA Bigbore

What type of Broadheads do you use?

Post by VA Bigbore »

Another question I have for the forum is about broadheads. I have shot both fixed and expanding broadheads with my bow. I never really worried about the expanding broadheads opening on game with my full length arrows, but I have reservations of using them with the lighter kenetic energy with crossbow bolts. I have never killed anything with expanding broadheads but I like the fact that you can get a larger cut area. I have been using the suggested broadhead from Excalibur, the Wasp 100gr 3-blade. Is this the best option out there?
What do you use for hunting deer sized game and your crossbow?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i have had good success using mech. steelheads but have sold all of mine. i am moving to the land of rocks in the Mo. Ozarks, & they eat mech. BH's for breakfast. so i am using snuffer-montec G5-slick trick. i have 3 each of the latter 2 and figure the rocks will get them this fall. :(
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bheads are like shoes.. everyone has their fav

one fixed that flys great is slick tricks. They have been tested time and time again here and always group great.

I use rage 3 blades because I like the pinpoint accuracy as my fieldtips. For slicks, I had to adjust my scope slightly. No huge deal, but im picky LOL. Some worry about opening and etc. Between me and my bro in law these heads have taken 9 deer with no issues at all. Massive hole and massive blood loss! No the downside is all but one was actaully useable again. But I dont reuse any bheads that I shoot through a deer with anyway, that goes for fixed also so that isnt a issue for me.

I keep a fixed slick trick on my bow just in case I need a up close kill shot so I dont waste a 10-12buck expandable

expandables have come lightages since their early rubber band days :P
wabi

Post by wabi »

I switched back to fixed blades after I had a mechanical fail to open when it passed through a deer (luckily I did kill the deer).
I've found 2 fixed blade heads I can use interchangeably with field points with no sight correction necessary - G-5 Outdoors Montec, and the WacEm Exit (4 blade) heads. Slick Tricks also shoot well, but from my bow they hit slightly out of the field point groups (about 1" low/left @ 20 yards).
wabi
jaybird

What type of Broadheads do you use?

Post by jaybird »

VABigbore,if you are looking to try another broadhead, you should look into the Crimson Talon 100 gr. Hyperspeed Broadhead. I've taken two deer in the last two seasons with these and they're awesome.The wound will not close and you get a massive ammount of bleeding.The first deer I shot dropped dead in the his tracks and the second took three steps and dropped. You can buy practice points from them that fly exactly like the broadhead. They usually run $30.00 for three broadheads and I believe around $15.00 for ten practice points.
VA Bigbore

Post by VA Bigbore »

So far the results are what I expected. Thanks for the replies. I used to use big broadheads for my bow and am just leary of the small 1 1/16 cut heads that I have been using. I like a big cut surface for less than perfect shots. Is there a happy medium for bigger wounds and still getting good flight with crossbows?
opossum

Post by opossum »

I used Bear razorheads and Thunderheads when I shot a regular bow.With the xbow I have used Rocky mountain Assasins with good results.You have to watch sharp quartering shots.I shot a deer in 07 quartering away the arrow struck the last rib and cut along the deers ribs until it finally went in behind the shoulder and into it neck.I got lucky with that one.
saxman

Post by saxman »

G5 Montec but I will be testing others
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

are you at the light end of the spectrum weight of arrow and how about speed ? with enough weight and speed I am sure your heads will open... but most will kill a deer it seems... I settled on montec three blades, hell razors nap three blades, magnus two blades, and for a really fast compound that shoots heavy enough arrows quite fast, I chose an expandible... (the only one in my quiver) ... I also pulled out a couple of thunderheads by nap.. they are an old standby as well... I used some sonic heads by abc this season.. they flew exactly like the feild tips...
I read a lot and made some choices to try out some heads that showed a lot of dependability... I was gonna get the slick tricks too but didnot get around to it..
dk
life guard at the gene pool
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

For years shooting my recurve I wouldn't use anything but 125 muzzy broadheads. With speeds less than 200 feet a second coming from my recurve they were very reliable and caused great blood trails. But since moving to an Xbow I have switched from muzzy to a mechanical broadhead. For turkey this spring I’m shooting Taken II’s 1 5/16 heads. For deer I’m going to the Rage 2 blade. With the Xbow I’m shooting faster speeds so I trust the mechanicals more than I did shooting less than 200 feet a second from my recurve. The Rage 2 blade leaves one nasty looking hole (or should I say crater) that leads to more blood loss and shock on the deer. I took a big doe last season with a 3 blade Rage and liked what it did, but that 2 inch cutting diameter of the 2 blade is just more appealing to me. I had the opportunity to see first hand several deer last season that were taken with the 2 blade Rage and just couldn’t believe the damage done not only to the outside but to the vitals as well. It all boils down to personal choice.
mikej

Post by mikej »

100 grain spitfire's here
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I'm shooting the Montec G5 and have been pleased with it. I've taken two deer with it and two with the Wasp that you have. Both worked great but I'lll be able to use the G5's again where as the Wasps were toast. I also like that the G5 is of a one piece design. In one word "reliable"!
Why ride when you can walk!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

groundpounder wrote:I'm shooting the Montec G5 and have been pleased with it. I've taken two deer with it and two with the Wasp that you have. Both worked great but I'lll be able to use the G5's again where as the Wasps were toast. I also like that the G5 is of a one piece design. In one word "reliable"!
Yup I am with groundpounder on the Montec G5's as they shoot great and easy to re-sharpen.. Montec has a new one and I sure plan on trying it.. I will have to look but I think it is a fixed 4 blade with a nice extended point.. I do stand to be corrected on that statement, but sure thats what I read in my last hunting mag.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Muzzy's now but thinking of switching to Rage to see if they fly as claimed like field tips. I like that they come with a practice blade even if three cost $39,95 locally, $36.95 at the Superstore plus shipping. I have heard they can be re- sharpened. Is this true ?
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Montec G5, 100% reliable and easy to resharpen. Most of all fly like feild points. I shoot 100g but will be switching to 125g.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.