need advice on switching to left handed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cabinfever

need advice on switching to left handed

Post by cabinfever »

Hello everyone I have to switch to left handed gun shooting. I will switch the crossbow also should help make it more natural with the gun. I'm having trouble with my eye alighnment when I shoot right handed I have no problem pull up both eyes open. Left handed this past fall I left a lot of happy dear in the woods takes to long to get lined up. Is there a way to train the left eye to be the dominate. I'm guessing this is my problem.
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i don't think you can train an eye to become dominate. one or the other of them are. just close the right one aim with left and shoot. i practice either shoulder and either eye.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
jay73

Post by jay73 »

I switched to left handed shooting about 5 years back, when I realized I was left eye dominant. I was always using my left eye to shoot, but a problem occurred when I could no longer see through my scope properly. The change was pretty smooth and I shot my first turkey that year.

I agree, I don't think you can train an eye to be the dominant one, one just is.

Good luck.

Jay
Real McCoy

Post by Real McCoy »

Just like learning anything new - will take patience and practice.
Southern Born and Bred
Exomax
Varizone
Groundpounder

A man who is good enough to shed his blood
for his country is good enough to be given a
square deal afterwards - Teddy Roosevelt
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I had to switch left handed being blind in right eye, was not a problem until I got into scopes. adjustment went smooth for me but now I bought a vertical bow and I have to shoot it left and don't have enough strengh in left arm to put it back comfortable. So I pull it back watching tv a few times at night to build strengh. Went through all the options to try to shoot right but after alot of input of how to remain right hand and people whom do it, I decided the best route for me was to switch.Thought of bow scopes and lazors and all that stuff. I am months away from the strengh I need but I will get it done. Bow set at 45 pounds right now. Determiation can conquer all.

This likely doesn't give you answers but you have to find all options and pick whats best for you. It take alot of practise and then it feels natural. After a couple years with rifle it felt natural. The more you practise faster transition will be.

I still use right handed bolt action guns but learned how to recock them without lowering gun, just hit you thumb a couple times and you get alot smarter LOL
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Put a patch over your right eye and it will make your left eye stronger. My sons right eye is weak so for about an hour every night he wears a eye patch over his left eye to make his right eye stronger!! Got this from his eye doctor of course.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
M&M

Post by M&M »

I am right handed and left eye dominate I have shot right handed all my life and just close my left eye and I do just fine at 46yrs old I am not about to try to change now. M&M
HW

Post by HW »

I have lost the use of my right arm but have switched to left handed but man does it make a difference. Just practice practice practice practice.
Exocet 175
Boo String (Red&Black)
GT II's
2" Blazers
Slick Tricks
Dan Miller Mount
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'm right handed and right eye dominant, so I shoot right handed whenever I can. But, I do practice heft handed shooting, and have had to use it a few times in hunting situations. It's awkward feeling, and I have to mentally talk myself through each shot or I will jerk the trigger or raise my head. It just takes practice, practice, and more practice. (I also close my right eye to shoot left handed - keeps the shadows in that empty cavern behind my eyes from distracting me :wink: :lol: )
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

HW wrote:I have lost the use of my right arm but have switched to left handed but man does it make a difference. Just practice practice practice practice.
From what I remember at the 3D meet-up, it seems to have worked well for you HW! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

if you use a red dot sight there will be no parrallax so if you shoot with both eyes open and sight it in you will be fine with a little practice.. or a bit of practice...
especially short range..
dk
life guard at the gene pool
saxman

Post by saxman »

wildwindom wrote:Put a patch over your right eye and it will make your left eye stronger. My sons right eye is weak so for about an hour every night he wears a eye patch over his left eye to make his right eye stronger!! Got this from his eye doctor of course.
"DITTO"
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
cabinfever

Post by cabinfever »

I have a red dot on my old horton and have always been able to shoot from both shoulders. I like a scope on my shotgun but when i try to leave both eyes open I can not see thru the scope. As soon as I get the release from the doctor I will shoot the Exocet left handed and I'm will buy a 22/17 rifle with scope so I can practice, practice, practice with out the expense of the shotgun. I will try the eye patch and I might add a check piece to help with proper alignment.

Thank You for all the replies
Stephen
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Eye dominance is only a problem if you let it be. I shot bows right handed as a kid and never knew I was left eye dominant. Needless to say, never did real well, used both eyes.

If you have to switch from one to the other w/ xbow, just use a scope where you can only use one eye. Should come together for you in short order.
"Eze 18:21"