vertical mounting of the Excalibur rangefinder mount

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Earl D. Woodyard, Jr.

Post by Earl D. Woodyard, Jr. »

I have my Excalibur rangefinder mount mounted in the vertical position on the left side of the scope. I use a Nikon laser 440 rangefinder. This set up is accomplished by using a Durasight Z2 Alloy medium height scope ring instead of the ring furnished by Excalibur with the rangefinder mount. The difference in rings are: the Durasight ring splits from side to side not top to bottom. You do not have to change your scope mounting rings to high mounts if you use the Durasight type ring to mount the rangefinder mount in the vertcal position. Of course you must remove the scope from the crossbow to attach the Durasight ring and afix to the weaver base on the rangefinder mount. In order to get a really tight bond between the Durasight ring base and the Excalibur rangefinder mount weaver mount I placed a form fitting piece of automotive two sided accessory tape between them and then tightened the ring base to the rangefinder mount base. I have this set up on My Exomax, Exomag and
my MAX Point crossbows. I have harvested two Pennsylvania deer with this rangefinder set up hunting from the ground at 25yds. and 45yds.
killshot

Post by killshot »

Can you post some pic's. A range finder will be my next purchase.Do you find it akward mounted on the left of the scope?

Thanks
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
Straightshooter

Post by Straightshooter »

I was just thinking of how to mount my leupold on my exocet. Can you post a picture. THANKS.
Earl D. Woodyard, Jr.

I can not do photos. If it will help Dan Miller of Excalibur has photos of one of my bows with the Nikon laser 440 on it.

I line the eye piece of the laser rangefinder in line with the with scope eye peice Since I am right handed and right eye dominate My right eye moves from left to right.
From the the eye piece of the laser rangefinder to the scope eye piece.Ijust find it to be more natural a move for me than looking above and below when the rangefinder mount is mounted on top of the crossbow scope.

When it comes to photos and computers I am at the mercy of my wife.
I will try and get her to post some photos.
Earl D. Woodyard, Jr.

There is a photo of an Excalibur crossbow with a rangefinder mounted in the vertical in the on-line Excalibur catalog . The photo can be found in the scope accessories. My system does not use high scope mounts.
You can mount it on either side of the scope.
Last edited by Earl D. Woodyard, Jr. on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Got to see Earl's set up, and it is top notch. Very user friendly.
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I went through this excercise a few weeks back and I really like the set up.

The only problem I had was that the scope mounts I originally had were only 3/8" high - not high enough to mount the rangefinder mount vertically. I swapped them out for 1" Weavers because I was too impatitient to order in 5/8" high rings (which I believe are the standard size I should have had - long story). Here's what it looks like on the Phoenix: