Pebbles & Rocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Pebbles & Rocks

Post by Mike P »

Pebbles & Rocks

When I write something I feel will be controversial I do not post it for a couple of days. I do this so that I have time to think about what I am writing and the possible consequences of my words. My "cool down period" is a result of my age. I no longer mount my horse and immediately joust with windmills as I might have done as a younger man. The windmills always win. Of course it took a long time to learn this lesson. I have reached the end of my self imposed mandatory waiting period and have given a lot of thought about the ramifications of this post. And I have grabbed my lance. I feel I have to take on this windmill.

It all started simple enough with this reply to a post by kennisondan.

Mike P wrote:
kennisondan wrote:Re: what position will cause you to pass the shot .. ?
Missionary.
My post above was just me being me. If you have been around here any length of time you know that I am quick to tease my fellow forum members. And I do it not out of malice. I do it with affection. I am also lighthearted and never take myself very seriously, awshucks makes sure of that. And I am prone to tip toe on the line of what is acceptable and what is not. I avoid any postings involving religion or politics; I know where that usually leads. And yes, I use sexual innuendo at times but always try to do so in a manner that will not offend. I have targeted Vix often with this innuendo arrow, and I know she takes no offense via PM's we have shared. I would never intentionally offend her or any other member of this forum. And even though I tip toe on that line of moral and social acceptability, I never knowingly cross it.

Many forum members here are most open regarding their religious beliefs. That is their choice. And I believe it is also their right. The vast majority are Christians. Why we even count amongst our members a Roman Catholic priest. To say that I am sensitive to this fact every time I hit the submit button here at the forum would be an understatement. When I submitted that one word response I was quite certain that no one would find it offensive. One of the most cherished and openly Christian members of our forum is saxman. And he had this to say about my one word post.

saxman wrote:I don't care who you are,that's funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

Well, saxman didn't count on taureau noir. He took offense at my one word and posted the following.
taureau noir wrote:
An other thing i do not like on the forum, is Sex joke and vulgarity.Like that one"Re: what position will cause you to pass the shot .. ?

Missionary."

I'm a christian like many here and I don't like that my God be swear at .
For the other comment ,I would give a8/10 on the articles on this forum.
Taureau noir
I was flabbergasted when I read the above. A forum member not only thought my small attempt at humor was vulgar, in some manner he was saying that I was swearing at his God. The Calvary was quick to arrive in the form of mikej. He posted the following:
mikej wrote:
where is God swore at in that statement
This brought the following response from taureau noir.
taureau noir wrote:God swear is not in that statement but sex&vulgarity is.
Taureau noir

Whew, I was off the hook for swearing at taureau noir's god but I was still guilty of sex & vulgarity. And I just didn't get it.

I watched a couple of television shows with the Swede the evening after the post by taureau noir. We watched two reruns, one was Boston Legal and the other was Two and a Half Men. In both of those shows the subject of sex was used in comedic fashion time and time again. And each use was far beyond the scope of my little one word reply. Both of these shows were wildly successful here in the United States. They passed rigorous screening from network censors. And both were shown in prime time and available to younger viewers. Yet my little one word line was termed "sex & vulgarity." I still didn't get it.

The next morning I checked the forum and saw some further discussions about the stance (I could have used position but I didn't want to be vulgar) taken by taureau noir. His last follow up post is below:
taureau noir wrote:I admit that a sense of humour has it place, Sorry if I offended
somebody.
It's just that it start with a pebble in the lake and most of the time it finish with a rock.Taureau noir

It is here where I whole heartedly agree with Taureau noir. It usually does start with a pebble in the lake and end up with rocks. And although I agree with his statement, I am one hundred and eighty degrees opposed to his interpretation. First and foremost, I do not equate sex with vulgarity. Sure, many "sex jokes" are vulgar. But my use of the word "missionary" in context with the question posed by kennisondan was hardly vulgar. It was simply a description of a position used by humans to have sex. And if anyone finds that vulgar they need a reality check. And the fact that "swearing at God" was even brought up in my opinion speaks volumes despite the eventual retraction. I think it pretty much sums up where taureau noir places his stake in the sand. And it is not on a beach were the majority of us dwell regardless of our Christian beliefs.

Yes Taureau noir it does begin with a pebble and end up with a rock. But if history has shown us anything the usual hurler of that rock is doing so in the name of one religion or another.

And I submit to you Taureau noir that you, and not I, cast the first stone. And further religious boulders flung into our forum pond are just as bad as the sexual vulgarities and "God swear" that you so much oppose.

Crazyfarmer suggested in the same thread that he wanted to see young, attractive and scantily clad girls holding crossbows in the magazine. And somehow I take the arrow for "missionary." Go figure.

Oh and guys, some of those avatars with young well endowed females are next in line with the new norms of acceptability here.

I think it is time to lighten up a bit.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I think it is time to lighten up a bit.
Wow, 30 views, no responses, so here's mine. I agree. Many 'dances' held at this hall, very few toes stepped on. That's one of the things that makes our 'dance hall' the best!
"Eze 18:21"
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I thought it was very funny. I must say though, I was a little mad because I was going to send the same reply but you(Mike) beat me to it. That post was just begging for a response like that. I still chuckle when I see that post. All in good fun people.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

bstout wrote:Look at the thread "Need advice on switching to left handed".

I'm not touching that one! :lol:
I believe you just did!

And bstout, it was very funny.
cabinfever

Post by cabinfever »

Yes Bstout that is funny my wife thought it was funny also.
The response By Mike and crazy farmer were also funny.
I go to church every week and take an active part in the church.
My Sunday service in October and November take place in a treestand.
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme
cdup

Re: Pebbles & Rocks

Post by cdup »

Crazyfarmer suggested in the same thread that he wanted to see young, attractive and scantily clad girls holding crossbows in the magazine.

I almost made a similar statement, but I notice crazy beat me to it.Thank you CF! :lol: :D
Respect everyone, but fear no one
Mike P

Re: Pebbles & Rocks

Post by Mike P »

cdup wrote:Crazyfarmer suggested in the same thread that he wanted to see young, attractive and scantily clad girls holding crossbows in the magazine.

I almost made a similar statement, but I notice crazy beat me to it.Thank you CF! :lol: :D
Good to see the under thirty crowd weighing in! :lol: :)
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I thought it was funny and clever. MikeP..

no need to defend yourself IMHO. be respectful and say what you want.
let the chips fall as they may.

This forum is a melting pot of wonderful people and the moderator very seldom has to moderate..Individuals need not lash out if they offended. Let he who is without throw the first stone! If that comment indirectly offended you taureau noir it would be best served to send MikeP a PM.Instead of casting the BIG ROCK into the lake that started as a pebble...I see your a good man and it shows in your post.

taureau noir wrote:
I admit that a sense of humour has it place, Sorry if I offended
somebody.
It's just that it start with a pebble in the lake and most of the time it finish with a rock.Taureau noir

My intention here are honorable. I am not talking down to you just want to throw out some wisdom I have kept since GaryL gave it to me years ago..

goes like this----> "A person can say something on the website and it will be taken by 3 people 3 different ways". (SO TRUE) you never really know the intent or mood one is in when posting. we dont have the luxury of seeing body language. SO be careful how you take things and read everything more than once it helps..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

You guys all know where I stand. I'm a Christian but I also have a sense of humour. I love to laugh - as most of us do, I'm sure. I laugh often and loud when I visit this forum. :lol:

I have to say in Taureau noir's defense that I admired that he spoke up.

For most of us it's probably rare that we go through a day without being offended in some way. My friends swear casually, some smoke dope, drink to excess, most will use the Lord's name in vain without even being aware. I so often see OMG for "Oh My God" and wonder if the poster would ever seriously consider petitioning the Creator? So what do I do? Mostly, nothing. But I do feel it inside and I sometimes wonder if I should speak up. It does bother me when people are casual about my God.

As a female I could be offended by some of the other stuff but I mostly just shrug it off as "guys being guys". Growing up with 2 brothers helped. :lol:

I enjoy that people here share a good sense of humour, that we have a lot of give and take, that we each have the freedom to express our unique beliefs about anything without being moderated to death. I also have the freedom to ignore posts that offend.

T.N. had the guts to speak up on something he feels strongly about and I respect that greatly. It's great that we all have that right.

A last random, rambling comment.. I believe it speaks to character and judgement. My Dad had an illustration he liked to use: If you were hiring a stagecoach driver would you contract the one that could drive within inches along a precipice without falling off - or would you contract the one that stayed as far from the precipice as the road allows?
Last edited by VixChix on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Mike P wrote:
bstout wrote:Look at the thread "Need advice on switching to left handed".

I'm not touching that one! :lol:
I believe you just did!

And bstout, it was very funny.
SHEESH, what about all of us left handers? :D :oops:
I ain't talented enough to do multiple quotes, but I liked the posts about Gary L and the 'Net and Vixchicks a lot.
"Eze 18:21"
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Look at the thread "Need advice on switching to left handed".

I'm not touching that one!
:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's funny how sometime something read quickly can seem funny when taken out of context ...

Soembody recently posted ..
Im looking for a 200lb exocet for my wife
Reminded me of a joke where a guys wife sends him out on a cold snowy Saskatchewan night to buy a bottle of Red Wine ... he picks up a 40 oz'r , and on his way home , he see's an older Indian gentleman walkin down a counrty road in the blizzard ..

He pulls over and offers him a ride ... when the older Indian gentleman goes to get in the truck , the guy reaches across to move the bottle from the passenger seat ...

The Indian looks at him and says " whats that " .... The guy looks back and says " I just got that for my wife "

The Indian nods and replies " good trade " !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Can't have a little fun, whats the point, might as well just stay in our houses and go on with a hum drum life. Some of us just like to joke around a bit and try to put a smile on some faces. Never do we try to offend anyone. My saying in life, If you can keep 80 percent of the people happy in this world, you are doing a wonderful job. But once again Mike P interesting read on your prospective of it.
M&M

Post by M&M »

Mike keep your chin up I too am one of the christian members on this forum and am not offended. I also realize that if everyone was just like me this world would be a very boring place, and I probably wouldn't like any of them [all the people that were just like me that is] so go forth mike and be salt to the world, feel free to ad a little spice in our lives. M&M
MPSNIPER

Post by MPSNIPER »

Got to be honest here...I thought it was bloody funny. I do respect T.N's right to his beliefs, but honest to God ( no offence intended ?) , if that little comment offended anyone - feel free to put your cursor over the little "x" in the top right hand corner and get on with your day. There are far too many important things in life that you can loose sleep over.
-Michael.
"like a hound...he hunts in his dreams"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Seems to me like were beating a dead horse here. I think T. Noir realized he may have over reacted. Why must we start another thread?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-