Snowshoes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbow300win

Snowshoes

Post by xbow300win »

Hey guys...

I'm heading out for my first hunt this coming week, the only thing left to buy are snowshoes.

Anyone see the ones at Canadian Tire? Are they any good?

I'm 6 feet 200 pounds, what length should I be looking at?
butch

Post by butch »

Go to a Canadian army surplus store and get a pair of issued ones, I snowshoe every am and have had a chance to trial many styles during my 15 year carrier in the infantry. My only complant is with the bindings. This can be easily fixed. (I can send you a pic). The issue snow shoes are quiet, built to carry heavy loads and, you can start a fire with them!!!! Honestly do not waste your money on those modern "yuppie dog park snowshoes".
Exocet w/ FFF string/ Aimpoint
18" Gold Tip Laser II's
and 125 grain Montec G5's
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I agree 100 percent with butch, I bought 2 pair from army surplus store. Walked 4 hours strait one day and it was just like being in my boots. I like the bindings for them. once you learn exaclly where to connect them to the shoe. shoe and bindings (new) came to 135 bucks. Cant beat them, will last a life time
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

butch wrote:Go to a Canadian army surplus store and get a pair of issued ones, I snowshoe every am and have had a chance to trial many styles during my 15 year carrier in the infantry. My only complant is with the bindings. This can be easily fixed. (I can send you a pic). The issue snow shoes are quiet, built to carry heavy loads and, you can start a fire with them!!!! Honestly do not waste your money on those modern "yuppie dog park snowshoes".
Butch, I picked up a pair of the military issues snowshoes myself and noticed that both bindings were on different. I think I fixed them but not sure if they are on right. Could you post that pic or send to me.

Thanks.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I picked up a pair of the Tubbs Adventure 25 snowshoes at Canadian Tire when they were on sale last week and they are awesome. We do a lot of walking/hiking with our dogs in areas where no one else has been and with the amount of snow we've had this year it's made for some really tough slugging.

The Tubbs are awesome. I'm 6'2" about 215-220 lbs with all my gear. They only had the 25" shoes which are rated up to 200 lbs so they are not idea size for me but they still work. The trade off is manoeuverability. Shorter shoes are easier to walk it but have less "floatation". Ideally I should have had the 28" model.

With these snowshoes you still sink in the snow but not nearly as much and because of the much larger foot bring you have more stability to push off for the next step. They even make it easier to walk in shallow slipperly snow because of the traction provided by the built in crampons.

These shoes aren't cheap....$170 when not on sale but worth every penny if you do a lot of winter hiking in areas that don't see a lot of traffic to pack down the snow. I put off getting the for a lot of years but now wouldn't be without them.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I've been snow shoeing every winter. most every day, for 40+ years on my trapline. I always used hand-made Ash and rawhide Ojibway snowshoes, until I found the Military Shoes made by Magline Image

They are strong, lightweight, durable. I am better than 6' tall and weigh about 230lbs. These shoes support me very well. You can find them on Ebay for about $40US.I own three pairs and have put my ash frame/rawhide laced shoes up on the wall.
I use Makwa bindings which are natural rubber, hold your foot very good and go on on off with little effort in 10 seconds.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

The shoes Griz has are the same ones I have owned for 30 years . They work great !
honker

Post by honker »

Got three pairs of the military ones here from my dads career. They hold up and provide good support.

I've been tempted to try the canadian tire ones, but i don't feel like wasting more money... these work good. Wish there was a way to get better bindings but otherwise, they're great.
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Here's the best bindings you can buy.

Rubber Snowshoe Binding
Fast to take on and off. Fine quality, very easy and practical.
Makwa Rubber Snowshoe Binding - Medium.Fits up to women's size 8- $27.95/pr.
Makwa Rubber Snowshoe Binding -
Large.Fits up to men's size 13- $28.95/pr

You can order them from: http://www.adirondackoutdoor.com/bindings.htm
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
TPM

Post by TPM »

With all the shortcomings of bindings on traditional snowshoes I can't for the life of me figure why no one has marketed a ratcheting type binding to fit them like I have on my "yuppie dog park snowshoes" :roll: . They have ratcheting buckles much like on snowboard bindings, they a snap to put on even with heavy mitts or gloves on and they do not come loose. What more could you ask for?
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use the Makwa bindings DaGriz posted, and even though he gave them to me as a gift I have to be honest about how I like them.
They are as simple to put on as slipping in a boot, reaching down to a big rubber hole and "snap"! They are on. They take abuse in the snow, and don't slip, harden, freeze or most importantly fall off or loosen. When it comes time to take them off you simply put your hand on the the same big rubber hole and "snap" they are off again. No muss, no fuss no having to touch anything, I can slap these on with big ol' snowmobile mitts on in less than a two seconds each, off even faster. They work with my snow boots, hunting boots, rubber boots, they would even work with running shoes.
Today my son and I went shoeing for crows, he kept his little feet on the back of my shoes as we trucked through the snow, of all the things I had to worry about the bindings were not one of them.
I tried buckles, springs and others, these things make snowshoeing way too easy. I like easy. :D

Yuppie, dog park snowshoes.. That was funny. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

very interesting grizz. i think i will start looking for a set of them. thanks for the tip
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Down here we hit green and yellow balls with them and call it tennis.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i have a pair of the military style with rubber slip in bindings ...they wont come off ....these are great shoes...tought as nails . one draw back it going in reverse or backing out of an area ... not great for that kind of manuvering ....i also have a pair of tubbs ( new school shoes). the are great light easy to manuver ...the hold less snow when the snow is sticking to the shoes ...they have cleats which make climbing up much easier than the old school shoes ....each have their pros and cons .....i would recommend a pair of ski poles when snowshoeing too
butch

Post by butch »

Here are the pics of my modified harness. I made them with a old military A7A strap. I sewed them on a machine and used shoe goop. Had these ones for 15 years and use them almost everyday when the snow deaoth calls for it.
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/Butch23/th
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/Butch23/?
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/Butch23/th
Exocet w/ FFF string/ Aimpoint
18" Gold Tip Laser II's
and 125 grain Montec G5's