Anybody own/use an Argo?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Anybody own/use an Argo?

Post by Pydpiper »

A hunting vehicle is on my list for this year, my only stipulation is it has to fit all 5 of us. I was pretty hot for a decent modified golf cart for a while, perhaps even the Bad Boy Buggy, but I am not interested in a battery powered unit. Also, I need something that can be used all year, even in the deep snow.
I did a whole lot of reading on the Argos yesterday, they seem to fit the bill. They will hold all of us, can handle the snow and they float, that is a big bonus considering how we like to spend our time.
The cost is a real kick in the butt, but acceptable if they function well.
Anyone have any experience with them?
I am considering the Avenger, it looks like the only one that can keep my whole family above water and carry all the gear we use on a normal weekend.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Nocturnal

Post by Nocturnal »

I had a 4 seater one in the early 90's,they are off the chain!! They can take any terrain you can imagine. They can turn on a dime and speeds around 25 to 30 mph. I think they all come with winches these days,that was the only con of the one i had.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I'll bet they would be great down here in these swamps.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Normous

Post by Normous »

That would be nice for moose hunting :)
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I have used an Argo for trapping/hunting for a couple of years. It will definitely go most any place you want . BUT.... They are extremely rough riding. Not at all comfortable. Alos with more than two peole there isn't much room to carry needed "stuff"
They are best used with tracks during the winter. Keep in mind that if you are back in the bush and break down it becomes quite difficult to find someting to get the unit out to repair it.
The chain drive system leaves a bit to be desired as well as the HP of the engine. A winch on the front and also on the back is almost mandatory.
A full canvas cab is very helpful also. Make sure you get a manual start(rope pull) beside the electric start. Nothing worse than being way the hell and gone in the bush and have your battery go dead and you can't start it.

All in all I couldn't justify the expense and sold mine.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
catcher

Post by catcher »

We had one when I was younger. The only problem that I can remember was the lack of ground clearance. And getting hung up on high rocks or stumps. Due to the long underneath. If you want to get there fast it is not the vehicle for you. And it eats up alot of your garage when you are not using it. But can carry lots of stuff. We had two Caribou and all our gear in our eight wheeler. Post some pics if you get one.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I owe my life to a Max six wheeler, not an Argo of course, but the same principle. When I fell in 1997 and snapped my femur in half, midway between knee and hip, I used the Max to get me out of the woods. It took me two hours to pull myself on my belly dragging that leg behind me to reach the Max. Had it not been for the Max I would have bled out and died under that tree. I almost died in the ambulance two hours after the fall.

The amphibious vehicles have a lot going for them. And they have a lot going against them. I sold mine in 1999. It brought back too many memories every time I got in the thing.

On the plus side, you can take more then one person with you and they float. But pay attention to what DaGrizz has said above, he is spot on with his review. The greatest objection I had to mine was the maneuverability in the woods. They are just too big. I was always getting wedged between two trees and regardless of what anyone says, they will not go where a four wheeler will go due to this size.

One trick I learned very quickly with mine saved me numerous times. I put all six wheels on backwards. I ran with the directional tread facing the rear. I found that if I got into trouble it was advantageous to have the more aggressive tread pointing behind me and I was able to back out of situations time and time again.

The obvious drawback to most of them is the cost. But that seems to fade away if you are looking at buying four wheelers for every family member. Another thing I have noticed is the depreciation seems to be pretty substantial based on pricing I have seen on used ones here in my area.

If I had a young family that I wanted to take with me on outdoor excursions I would not hesitate to buy one.

I would just be very selective where and how I used it.

I now run a Honda Rubicon. For me it is the perfect tool to take me where I want to go. And that is just about everywhere!

Good luck with your decision Piper.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks for the inputs guys, it is the 8 wheel unit I am looking at. If my day stays this quiet with work I am going to head to London, apparently there is a large Argo dealer there.
I am considering a new one because it seems they have dealt with a lot of the issues the past models have had, clearance, suspension, steering and a few other things. One of which is moving the front and rear axles forward (or backwards) for steeper approach angles.
I don't anticipate any of the deep woods issues with it, like I said, most of the terrain I hunt around my house is suitable for a decent golf cart.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

My dad owned one in the past. All the post are spot on. They pack alot but the ride is rough. Good for getting in and out of a hunting area but not for cruising around in.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

my duck hunting buddy had one the 8 wheeler..he was in the shallow end of a swampy area and hung up on a stump underneath..It took along time for us to get that heavy thing out..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
MichiganBill

My sister sells them

Post by MichiganBill »

My baby sister owns a power sports dealership in Gaylord MI. Argo is one of the brands she sells. They are awesome vehicles but do leave much to be desired in the comfort department.

http://www.total-powersports.com/index.htm
wabi

Post by wabi »

The landowner where I hunt owns a 6 wheel model and praises it, but I have never seen it run. It was setting beside the barn when I started hunting there years ago (8 or 9 years I think) and he said it needed some minor repairs. I wonder if it's so great, why doesn't he repair it???? :lol: :roll: :lol:
wabi
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

I had a 6 wheel Argo for exactly 1 week last fall. Took it to the camp, entered the duck swamp, went about 50 yards and got hung up on stumps and floating vegetation. I actually had to get out and push it free of the obstacles. Good thing I had brought my waders along for the ride. I decided right there and then that I would use the canoe in the swamp and my Yamaha Grizzly on land. A fellow bought it from me and said he was going to use it for moose hunting. Best wishes to him! :)

I had previously owned another one back in the 80's. They are good for everything but excel at nothing.

My .02 cents.

Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
Straightshooter

Post by Straightshooter »

We used to have one. Like everyone said rough ride and don't forget the earplugs. I find it to rough,slow and noisey. Now you cann't get me off the Honda foreman.
Close Up

Post by Close Up »

I have used some of the older ones 6 and 8 wheelers and found that for a long period of time they are very uncomfortable .