Anybody own/use an Argo?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

It looks like a test drive is in order. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Let us know how the test drive goes!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Dave,

Send a pm to Lonewolf I know he had one recently with the tracks cabin the whole 9 yards.

Also check out the plant which is up in New Hamburg across from the Tim Horton's on hwy 7/8.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

Here I am using a argo to pull our boats from one lake to an other for a fishing trip I went on. The pull is about 1/4 mile. Argo pulls well but its a rough ride on the tracks.
Imagehttp://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww29 ... 008162.jpg
ok that didnt work will reread how to post pics
got it
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Don't put much reliance on the reports of those folks who have just got one recently and LOVE their machine. Don't listen solely to guys like me who had one years ago, and got rid of it.

What you need to do is talk to someone one who has had one for years, worked it hard, and still likes it. That person can give you a better informed opinion.

I HATED mine. There was ALWAYS something breaking. I was lucky with mine. It never happened in some godforesaken place that needed a helicopter to rescue me. It sure could have, though, and that's the scarey part. When they work, they can take you places from where you could never walk out.

I'm told that more recent product is built to a better standard. Maybe. If the machine that you need has to perform consistently like a WORKING Argo, check around carefully to be assured that the standard has been actually improved.

Find out who uses them. Do any Utility companies use them as emergency service vehicles? Do trappers, or hard core outfitters use them? You know, people who work a machine hard, and have to rely on it.

Or, is it just "weekend folks" who use them? If it's mainly just "weekend folks", is it because the reliability factor just isn't there? If so, would you want your wife and kiddies forced to walk back from a breakdown?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I doubt they work it hard, but I think they would have to trust it.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Hmmm.

That may be encouraging. However, does the thing ever get REALLY used, or does the Firechief just use it to ride around in parades? If it doesn't have any scratches or dings, it may just be a Fire Hall ornament!! Or, it might just be a government agency blowing off surplus funds to protect next year's budget!!

If your electrical utility company uses them to travel to remote areas with men and equipment, THEN I'd be persuaded. 8) 8) 8)
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

There isn't a scratch or ding in anything in that picture, but your right it may just be used for parades. However, where I live the fire/rescue crews rarely have anything simply for show, or things that are beat up or even dirty for that matter. I do not know if it gets used, I would have to assume it does, someone has to know how to drive it. Our department has a boat, a Zodiac I think, I really have my reservations if it has seen the water in the course of duty.
My local utility company uses something far larger, but similar. I can not imagine seeing a crew heading out to a remote site with hydro poles, men and an auger in an Argo? The guys said it may be too big for some applications, I doubt that is one of them. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

I forgot to mention in my previous post that you should stay away from deep water with these machines. The other reason that I sold my last one is that my buddy took it into the same duck swamp I did, got into a small creek with a bit of current gently flowing and no matter that he got the engine RPM's revved up high and the throttle maxed out, he ended up being swept and pinned against the dam. Once again, we had to nudge the ARGO to get it free.

These machines float and act like a big bath tub. I would think twice about taking a young family for a tour out on a lake. They are good for forging small streams with little or no current as long as the wheels can grab onto something solid on the bottom like a gravel bed. There is a reason that they sell an outboard motor bracket as an option.

I had the snow tracks on both of my machines which makes them quite wide. I would have to chop down trees and blaze trails on occasion when I would try to follow my buddies on their snow machines or ATV's. Because they are skid steer, they take an awful lot of real estate to manoeuvre and turn.

They are also very mechanical in nature and if you are a back yard mechanic you should be fine. I have had to replace drive chains, adjust the brakes frequently, replace the magneto coil etc.

I am not trying to discourage anyone but simply giving an honest review of one of many outdoor products that I have owned.

ps. Lonewolf also got bogged down with his Argo in my swamp and had to winch himself out.

Grizzly-Papa

Life is too short to spend it indoors!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Interesting points, I often wondered about the fast moving water.. The river here is fairly shallow, I don't suspect it would actually "float" if I crossed in the same spots I cross in waders. Other than that it would be farmers ponds, and I don't see myself being too interested in that either, outside of getting there.
Again, my quest is a machine that can haul all of us, and I am somewhat limited for that reason.

I will say that with all these less than glowing reviews I am second guessing the machine. I guess from here I am going to head to a dealer and see if any of these issues have been dealt with with the current models, and see if they will give me any references to talk to of people who have and use the current stuff.

I asked for opinions, and that is what I got! thanks. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
beerwolf

Post by beerwolf »

I have one but its not together yet. I am doing a complete rebuild on it now. Havent tried it out yet.
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

A family member had a new one a few years agos, and it was JUNK! It was worthless in three years. Alot of good things have been said here. So maybe he had a lemon. After seeing this I would never have one, but thats just me and only once experience.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

They look cool..toy like and neat but practical,functional and reliabilty is just not there. more like a novelty toy than anything..my bud got rid of his because it just would not do what we thought it would..go anywhere and back!
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

I believe Bill T has had a few argos as well.

Maybe fire a pm off to him.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

Pyd
i don't know if you know this but Argo is made in New Hamburg. I beleive if you call your dealer they can set-up a appointment to test drive a unit it their plant ,where they take you to my brother-in-laws and play in their off road test site.
Mark
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows