Anybody own/use an Argo?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

Post by mikej »

jim shockey uses them :lol: :lol:
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

We had one when I was a kid. My father used it for moose hunting for years and never complained about it. It was loud though, but that was because of a motor swap he had done and I doubt he put an exhaust back on it (it wasn't a factory motor).

I know 2 guys that have them today. One guy is a mechanic and when the motor blew on his he put in a 3 cylinder motor from a Geo Metro (I think) that was practically a straight swap. His buddy has one that's a couple of years old and he loves it. These guys spend hours trying to get them stuck and most often fail. They run them on the lake in calm water without problems. But they're not hanging them up on deadheads. They run them with tracks in the winter with full enclosures to keep them toasty and they have a blast. The mechanic bought an ATV last summer to keep up with the other guys and to be more comfortable for the ATV trips but he's keeping his Argo. I guess that says something.

I can't think of any other solutions to Pyd's dilema. Even if he got 2 side-by-sides, or 2 two-seater ATVs, (one for him the other for his wife) he'd still be short one spot.
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

My brother had an eight wheeler for years. It sure wasn't used for Sunday drives to church. It was used and abused. He had tracks , blade, cabin, outboard motor. It was used in the river almost as much as it was on dry land. I can't remember much repairs done to the machine other than normal maintenance. They are slower than an atv and wider so you can't go where the atv's go. In marshy ground an atv can't keep up to them at all. Each has its own good points , can't really compare them. We thought they were a tough machine and well worth the expense. Good luck with your test drive. :D
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

http://www.chironexinc.com/index.php?op ... 1&Itemid=2

A family off road vehicle perhaps?
The price is certainly right.

Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Bingo!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Grizzly-Papa, I have seen that machine and it is running a close second to what I am after, that back seat folds down to become part of the cargo bed like my last truck, the Avalanche.
I still haven't had the time to set up an appointment to go see an Argo. Thanks for digging that photo up though, it is always there if the whole Argo thing doesn't work out.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I have an ARGO Bigfoot and been using it for about 5 years to get into and out of the 1200 acres of woods behind my home. I think the skid steer is amazing! I can turn around right in place - let's see a 4 wheeler do that. Also I have only been stuck twice in that period of time. Once I went off a creek bank and it was steeper than I imagined. I had always crossed the creek at that point but flood conditions eroded the bank so it was a straight down jump. The front end of the ARGO dug into sand and mud and I had no wheels on the ground. Just ran out 30' of cable and winched right out of there. Another time I tried to cross a pond in winter and thought I could break out the ice as I went through. Well the ice kept getting thicker and I could not get a bite on it in front of me. The ice closed in behind me and I had my cell phone so I called my GF to come and toss me a rope. Well I just started shifting my weight from one side to another and gave her hell in reverse. I just worked my way out.

Ground clearence is not a problem because you have so many wheels under you. I have no problem going over and 18" tree that blocks a trail. Yah it tosses you around a little but it will jump over almost anything. If you stand it on end - yah you have a problem. I've been hung on stumps in ponds also but you just have to know how to handle it. You start tilting it back and forth and give her hell. Never been a situation where I couldn't get free.

Yes if you are going to go into a river with lots of current you need an outboard bracket and maybe a 5HP motor. They only go 4 MPH in water so to do lotsw of wading in swift water I reccommend the outboard.

I put a snow blade on mine this year and snow removal is a ball! You can flip it 180 degrees and just start pushing in the opposite direction. I can clean out my driveways in way to fast a period of time. Have to go next door and do the old ladies too just to get some seat time. Once you start pushing snow you don't want to quit. I have never needed or used the tracks - I just put a set of chains on the middle wheels and it has all the traction you need.

So to put it mildly... I love my BigFoot and plan to get the big water cooled 8 wheeler soon. I'll put an outboard on it and use it for fishing the river near my home. I'm too lazy to hook up a boat and find a launch ramp... Easier to just hop in the ARGO and drive it down to the river. I'd use the Big Foot but just want a little more room for fishing tackle, ice chest, etc.

LOVE ARGO's! Yah you have to pop the floor boards out a couple times a year and spray the chains with lube and check the tension. I'm into maintenence on my machines so changing oil, and making minor adjustments is just part of the fun. Yah if you a lame arse and never take care of your machine, it will probably fail you at some time, but if you keep up on maintenence there are no problems.

My friends in Cleveland go to James Bay every year to hunt caribou. They take eight or nine ARGO's with floatation trailers and drive them 150 miles into the bush. Never had any problems, but they have had some breakthroughs in ice and had to assist one another. It's all in the fun! Ontario Gear is one heck of a high quality company - kind of like Excalibur.

I don't know wher he is but bbbwb who is also on this forum is an ARGO fan. He has had to wade miles and miles on Lake Erie because of the cliffs so he couldn't get out - he had no problem. Yes you have to learn how to drive them, but once you get the hang of it it is extremely rare that you will get stuck.

A crane we built that fits in hitch receiver to lift deer into arse end...

A '74 Attex getting wild in mud
Last edited by DrDan on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Great review Doc!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

This is the new Avenger 8 wheel, liquid cooled, looks like it would fit the whole family. :D

WMU 91
Boo string
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

LOL Just remember to tell everyone to hang on to something with hands. The driver has the handlebars in hands all the time but passengers get comfortable and forget to hang on. I've damn near tossed two people out when I made a 90 degree turn at high speeds. This skid steer will freaking turn and I mean "right now"! Yup I want the liquid cooled Avenger - expensive but screw it I have worked hard all year and don't care. In fact I just bought a Morton Pole building 30' X 50' just to store toys inside. Only go around once. Might as well enjoy.
Phoenix - Equinox
DrDan
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

My grandkids just love going to the woods with me in the ARGO. We are all blown away by the angle of attack it will take into and out of creeks. Believe me standing on the end is another issue - scared the crap out of me, but actually if I hadn't been taking it slow and easy it probably would have never stood on end. It would have just dug it's way through. Also go to route6X6.com for lots of info on 6 and 8 wheelers. Nice site! My next endeavor if I get an Avenger with cab and heater is to start ice fishing out of it on Lake Erie. I love winter walleyes and being a wheelchair person hauling a shanty out on the ice is a "can't do" but I can sure drive the ARGO out there and hook some eyes!

And yes before I forget - the reason you put tires on backwards is for better paddling action when wading. I asked the same question when I first got mine. No problem with forward traction on land. Another thing is the big tires put very little ground pressure down. Doesn't tear up the woods. Very eco friendly machine!
Phoenix - Equinox
DrDan
bbbwb

Anybody own or use an Argo

Post by bbbwb »

Just logged on and read this inquiry. Great machine. As Dr. Dan mentioned I have run the shore of Lake Erie --- 4 hours in the lake because of the bluffs, before I could get out. This was not an ideal scenario as I thought there would be some shore on which to travel. They are not made to replace a boat for boating. They are ideal for crossing beaver ponds and water courses etc.
Use it for moose and deer hunting and I would not think of a quad. The argo can get to places that a quad can not due to water depth and problems concerning the undercarriage design of quads. There is nothing exposed on the argo to get caught on and tear.
They are excellent for carrying gear as well as people.Have brought out moose, deer as well as all the gear -- prospector tent etc. after a 3 week stay in the bush with no back strain.
They are not for speed but are very easy to manoeuvre. They can turn on a dime and certainly if you want push down small trees etc in going through wooded areas.
Getting stuck can happen but the driver can soon learn what to watch for. With a winch and a small grapple hook most situations are easily solved.
I have the 6 wheeler as I travel mostly alone. It can carry 4 people but is crowded. It is more suitable for 2. The 8 wheeler would be better for more people.
For snow travel, the tracks make this unit into a small tank. Tracks will also help in traveling through the soft muskeg material. They distribute the weight over a large area and thus the machine travels over the top.
I am well pleased with my 6 wheeler and would not even consider the quad machines for a substitute.
Drop into Argo of London dealer and test drive the different machines. Cameron has some good terrain to test your nerves.

bbbwb