The culling myth exposed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Another thing that some people fail to realize is that half (and some studies suggest more) of a bucks antler genes come from its mother. Unless you know exactly which bucks breed which does, human induced genetic selection simply doesn't work.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I also defend the right of anyone to take any deer (young buck not withstanding) by any means deemed legal by our laws. I have never, and will never, disparage a hunter for shooting a young buck to put meat in his/her freezer to feed their family. However, and here is where it gets dicey, I will never condone the shooting of a young buck for the freezer if the hunter is capable of putting a doe in the freezer instead of that immature buck.

I know my stance is not "main stream" and many here do not share my views. But if you know me from over the years here you know that I have never vacillated from this stance.

I won't say more on this issue. If I do shucks is going to take me to his woodshed. I have submitted an article for the HBM spring issue regarding this subject and to say anymore here will potentially steal some thunder from the piece. And if Dan runs the piece in HBM believe me I expect there will not only be thunder but more then a few lightning bolts as well in the following issues "Letter to the Editor" area.

And shucks, I didn't spoil your read when your spring issue arrives sans cover.
Hmmm, guess I shoulda read this thread earlier. Mike, I respect you more and more as I read your posts.

I never was a buck hunter. Main reason, they have always been smarter than I am and all I wanted was meat. Remember, I'm pretty much self taught and didn't have much for a teacher, lol.

I've known about this intelligence level thing for many years. I've put many deer in the freezer, mostly does and a few bucks, all non remarkable.

I respect the work, knowledge, and dedication it takes to harvest a mature whitetail buck.

I, quite frankly, don't care to pay that price. As you may know or suspect, I dance to the beat of my own drum, have my own principles and ethics.

I have on a few occasions passed on a buck in favor of a fat doe. Believe it or not, I felt like taking the buck would have been cheating someone else down the line.

I didn't 'earn' him.

Go get 'em Mike, etal.
"Eze 18:21"
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

I hunted really really hard and long this season, a bad season by most standards... I saw deer on three occasions during the gun season, and none would have been close enough for a bow, not close enough for an open sighted pistol shot, and not close enough for a rifle shot with my eyes and expertise without a prop and a scope and a sling... I shot one doe early before the breeding season kicked in... and shot one medium buck at almost the season's end after making thirty hunts staying past when others leave, sneaking in, sneaking out, you name it... I passed on two does later the same week, and hunted horns the rest of the season... did not see a decent buck... mine was not a cull .. it was a crafty animal that was a difficult shot and quite evasive...
if I had been after only large horns I would not have even seen a shooter unless it was behind the deer I shot, and I watched the five does on the first day for a really long time... some places don't have a lot of large trophy deer and if you like to eat venison you take care of that then you trophy hunt... if I went to a trophy rich environment I would hold out for a real trophy by my standards...they are all trophies to me, and it is all about the trip not the destination... many days I was hunting alone on the entire lease...that was a banner day, without a deer sighting even...
life guard at the gene pool
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

kennisondan wrote: "......... it is all about the trip not the destination..."
That is what it is ALL about.. But, most forget that...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]