Ontario Deer Herd

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

Ontario Deer Herd

Post by DanO »

Don't get a chance to gauge the impact of this winter on deer health. Anyone able to say how the deer are handling this winter? It's been a deeper than normal snow winter so I see well used runs. The thaw is welcome I'm sure.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

Here in the suburbs of Ottawa I counted at least 10 deer on Huntmar road last evening within 1 kilometer of each other. One group of 6 and another of 4. They are taking advantage of the warm temperature and meltdown to graze on the grass underneath the diminishing snow. In all, the winter was not too brutal this year although it is not quite over yet. :roll:

I believe the worst of the winter is now over and there probably will be plenty of fawns born this spring. Should be another good year overall for venison. :D

Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I walked every part of my hunting land yesterday, did not see a single deer track seems the coons have taken the place over! Matter of fact, I haven't seen many deer at all during daylight in the past month or two.
There is a field 2Km from my house that looks like it is getting hit every night by about 100 deer, neat to see, but they are working different hours than me, so I have yet to catch them.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

few weeks ago my coworker asked me if i had seen the turkeys in the field down from work, being close to 7:30pm, i didn't believe him and went to look, well there stood close to 60 deer :shock: beautiful sight, across the road, that field contained another 20, still lots of standing corn so food won't be a problem in my area
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
DanO

Post by DanO »

My son pulled his stands down on Sunday and across the field he could see at least 15 deer with one huge buck. Many of the deer were lying down enjoying the sun. I would imagine the first half of the winter was pretty tough on them. They seemed to be using runs extensively in the area I hunt.

Dan o.
Beech

Post by Beech »

My trail cam took 318 pics in 3 days then the battery died and my corn pile was gone. Lots of deer moved in the late part of the season.
mattones

Post by mattones »

I saw twog roups of 10+ within 2 days. Along the 407 and another in Burlington.
08 Diamond Justice
2015 Micro 335 -Custom Flemish String-Lumonzombies
DanO

Post by DanO »

Bigsy, you're right about the corn standing. That food supply should help them overwinter as long as it's near their yard. I haven't seen alot of browsing sign as I snowshoe through some of the woodlots. They must have found something better to eat. :D
Dan O.
terrym

Post by terrym »

Well the deer in southern Ontario are having a easy winter where I live thats for sure. The rain this week has almost wiped out the snow completely. Gotta help them I would think.
fletch

Post by fletch »

On the way to work this morning at 7AM I saw 2 coyotes stalking a deer :evil: on a driving range right out in the open. Miked my buddy who was 5 mins behind me and told him to look at the driving range. He called me back in 5 min. and told me that they had the deer down and were eating it. On the way home this afternoon there was just a pile of bones and the hide left. The coyotes are out of control around here and they are seriously hurting the deer numbers. The MNR is not dealing with this problem at all. :roll: Really pisses me off. :evil:
Exomax w/ Lumizone
custom Boo string w/silencers
GT II's w/r helical 4 deg offset
Slik Triks and Lumenoks
farmer54

Post by farmer54 »

I was back at my Dad's farm this morning. As l looked down the road about 15 deer crossed onto the farm. All looked to be in good shape. The girlfriend wad checking the area on her ski's and she seen tracks all over the place.
MPSNIPER

Post by MPSNIPER »

Deer in my area right now are getting their 1st break of the winter with our recent thaw/rain. My wife and I went to visit the local deer yard and there were well over 100 deer in the back yard of the fellow that feeds them. Saw 3 bucks that still were wearing the head gear like crowns. A 10 pt, and 2 8pts. Looks like all the smaller bucks have had their antlers fall off by now. Even on our drive back home we were seeing deer along the hwy where the snow had melted ( souther exposure mainly) grazing. They all looked surpisingly healthy.
-Michael.
"like a hound...he hunts in his dreams"